Manicure Problem

celebrity

Just returned from a fabulous 7 day cruise to Bermuda. Everything was perfect except my nails.

By day 3, the polish on my nails was gummy and discolored. 😡

Not sure if it was the Purell or my sunscreen. Any thoughts?

It's probably the Purell. It is an alcohol based liquid.

Was it regular polish? When I cruise I go to a gel polish - and it stays great for 2 weeks under any conditions. It is more than a regular manicure - or they now have kits where you can do it at home with a special little light. Essie now has a gel kit that comes with a color and the top coat and it doesn't require the light - I haven't tried that one yet.

The hand sanitizer is likely to be the culprit.

Even with Shellac and Gel polishes you have to watch that too especially with French as it can yellow. Having used Shellac on clients for the last 5 years I have seen it in various stages of "breakdown" and anything alcohol based is normally the cause, that and anything with deet or chlorine.

My own Shellac never breaks down as I am always careful with the purell.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

It likely is from all the hand sanitizing. Purell and some of the other brands can be very hard on nail polish/nails. I've had it do a horrid job on my hands. Took me a few times before I figured out what it was.

Edited by sail7seas

If it makes such a mess of our manicures, how good can it be for our hands/skin?

It's not, it dries out the skin so best to use a nice good quality hand cream. People worry about their faces aging but not many don't think about their hands and it is a dead giveaway.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

It's the sunscreen not hand sanitizer. Spray-on is the worst on finger nail polish. Some lotion types can gunk it up too. On one cruise, before I figured it out, my toe nails polish was a gunky mess then the light bulb came on. I never had that problem again. I would recommend a gel polish manicure for your next trip. It looks great the entire trip.

FINALLY a manicure that lasts more than a couple days! (weeks, in fact!)

I bought a home shellac (or gel...) with the light, etc. It is VERY difficult to apply yourself--you cannot clean up your nails with a Qtip & acetone as with normal polish. If you do try to before you cure it, the fibers from the Qtips cling to the polish. Not fun.

Hate the price (like that home manicure price better!) but love the long lasting effect!

Head tomorrow for a mani/pedi--I don't get them every 2 weeks, but I do splurge for all trips!

Another fan of gel, it really makes a difference for vacations where you are putting a lot of wear on your nails - salt, chlorine, sunscreen, bug spray, etc. It is more expensive, but it also lasts longer. And for vacations/special occasions it's worth it. I also love that the drying time is so quick - I am terrible at waiting long enough for my nails to dry that I don't smudge them.

Question what do you do about pedis? Under normal conditions my pedis last at min 2 wks. But much less and chips when I'm in the water a lot and if I get my preferred white it yellows :mad:

Make sure you put at least two coats of top coat , one having sunscreen built in. Ulta has a good one, so does Orly

That's one reason I almost never polish my nails as I have to use the hand sanitizer constantly ( in the hospital). Its just not worth it. I have only had my nails done once. I always do my own, but I wait until the last minute so it doesn't get smudged before we leave for vacation.

It is NOT the sanitizer. I have cruised for 14 nights and use the had sanitizer constantly. I have my nails done (using either OPI or ZORA with an OPI top coat) before I leave home and my nails look as good when I leave the ship as when I boarded. (My nails are a vanity point for me :o)

I always use Hawaiian Tropic lotion type sunscreen (other brands and sprays I have found dull my nails).

I never travel without a backup nail kit. I use a round, clear, plastic zip bag that I bought at Target's I believe...I've had it so long I can't remember. Anyway, I can get two bottles of nail polish, a combo top/bottom clear nail coat, a couple of small nail files, some Qtips and cotton balls, and a wood stick in there. I never take a chance that my polish will get ruined and I can't repair it myself.

I'm trying Sally Hansen's Gel Color & Top Coat for my Christmas cruise. It's a beautiful candy apple red and I can' wait to see how it works as I've never used any kind of Gel polish before.

The gelish brand mani I applied at home with an LED lamp about ten days ago still looks great (aside from growing out a bit), and I cruised last week. Someone up thread said gel is too hard to clean up before you cure it--check YouTube, I use acetone and a cheap little paint brush.

I don't think not using hand sanitizer is a good solution to anything.

Edited by perditax