When do you pay for cruise ins?

oskidunker

You do not have to pay until final payment, but you may want to pay earlier.

If you are purchasing Princess Vacation Protection, you do not have to pay until final payment. However, sometimes it is a good idea to pay earlier. Coverage is not provided for pre-existing conditions (except for the cancellation for any reason credit). A pre-existing condition is a condition that occurs or causes a change in medication during the 60 days before the Vacation Protection is purchased. If the condition is stable without any change in medication for 60 days before purchasing the Vacation Protection, then it is covered. If you have had no changes in diagnosis or medication for 60 days, it may be a good idea to purchase the Vacation Protection then to guarantee coverage. If you wait until final payment, you may have had a change in medication within 60 days of final payment, so you would not be covered for that condition. This is just a brief summary (by a layman) - refer to the Princess brochure for details before making up your own mind.

If you are purchasing third party insurance, you may need to purchase it within a short time after paying your initial trip deposit in order to waive the pre-existing conditions exclusion. For example, the Worldwide Trip Protector from Travel Insured International waives the pre-existing condition exclusion if you insure all nonrefundable expenses for your trip and you purchase the policy within 30 days of the date of your initial deposit.

I just had this conversation when I bought the insurance for my next cruise. I used Travel Insured through USAA.

I've always waited till final payment but the agent suggested in the future that I might consider buying the insurance within 14 days of the initial deposit. Buying at that time avoids any issues with pre-existing conditions. The agent said that it would not be necessary to insure the whole amount of the cruise. It would only be necessary to insure the amount of the deposit which would be very inexpensive. You would then call the insurance company and increase the amount of insurance (paying an additional fee) as you made payments on the cruise fare. If you waited to pay off the cruise at final, then you'd just make the one increase.

BTW, cruise insurance costs increase in $500 increments. IOW, it costs as much to insure a $1510 cruise as it does to insure a $1995 cruise. Be sure not to include any amounts you would get refunded without insurance. For example, port fees, taxes, gratuities, etc.

You might want to check out the forum on cruise insurance:

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635[/url]

About cancelling. I cancelled a cruise that I'd bought insurance on. I booked another cruise at the time I cancelled the first and was able to transfer the insurance. Good question to ask your agent. Edited by RocketMan275

[quote name='Vacation Nut']If you pay for insurance with your deposit and then cancel the cruise, do they refund the insurance payment as well as the deposit?
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The Princess Vacation Protection brochure says: "In order to activate enrollment, you must pay the appropriate plan cost in addition to the required cruise deposit amount. The plan cost is non-refundable once you enter the cancellation penalty period as stated by Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours."

I have not cancelled a cruise after paying for the insurance, so I don't know from personal experience. However, that language certainly sounds like it would be refundable until the "cancellation penalty period", which is generally right after final payment. However, it may be different if you have booked under a nonrefundable deposit promotion.

[quote name='Vacation Nut']If you pay for insurance with your deposit and then cancel the cruise, do they refund the insurance payment as well as the deposit?
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

With Princess ins...yes as long as its before final payment and you have a refundable deposit.
Some promotions have a non-refundable deposit. However you would still get the ins refund. Edited by Colo Cruiser

When we purchase Princess Insurance we always pay for it as soon as we know we have had 60 days without any medical issues or change in medication. We have cancelled before final payment and always received a full refund of the insurance premium. I have noticed a change in who is administering the Princess Insurance so you may want to call and verify that this is still the case.

One needs to consider their ages and their health status in order to make the decision about when to pay for cruise insurance.
If you are younger, with no ongoing health issues, I can see waiting to pay till final payment, and I used to do that.

Those of us who are older, whether or not they have health issues, may want to go ahead and pay the insurance at the time of booking, as advancing age sometimes brings unexpected health problems. Having had a heart attack at 73 a couple of years ago with no history of cardiac concerns changed a number of things for me, including when I pay for the insurance.

I always get my travel insurance through InsureMyTrip and I buy the policy within 14 days of booking the cruise, as it is important to get coverage pre-existing conditions covered as both of us have health issues. We use InsureMyTrip because they are very helpful, not pushy(no commission for agent), can help you get the best coverage for the least cost(and always cheaper than the cruise lines), and can offer you helpful suggestions/pitfalls.