Printing Express Docs.

BrisbaneGran

The Documents and Boarding Passes for our October cruise became available today, for us to print. I have been trying all day but the File starts to load, gets to 3% then changes to another page which states "Couldn't Open PDF" "Something is preventing the pdf from opening". Does anyone obviously more computer savvy than me, have any ideas what I can try? I have re downloaded Adobe, as I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 and thought that may have caused some problem....but still not working. This will be our first HAL cruise, and I am going to look like a bit of a dummy if I arrive at the ship with NO paperwork!! HELP! :o

This sounds to me more like a browser issue than anything else. I know that HAL has their web site optimized for Chrome, which is not my favorite browser, but Mozilla has become so bloated that I gave up.

Windows 10, is probably a very good operating system. I am a survivor of 35 plus years on the cutting edge of technology and I will not upgrade from Win7 to Win10 until January to give the rough edges a chance to be polished and to allow additional software and drivers to be tested.

Good luck, at worst, you can install a Win 7 system on your computer in addition to Win10.

Doc

Have you already tried another Internet browser than the new Edge browser of Win 10?

Try the "old" Explorer which still is installed in Win 10. (just click start button and type explorer). Or install Chrome.

thanks for all that info DocF was exactly correct, about it being a browser issue. I downloaded Chrome, and now am the happy owner of all my docs! Now I just need a Room number! I wonder how many others are going to have trouble now that many are using Windows 10.......surely I'm not the only tech dummy! ;)

I had a problem printing mine as well. I'm using Windows 7 and Chrome. The docs would start to load and then I would get a message that they were unable to finish loading and to try again later. I was able to print luggage tags.

I contacted HAL about the problem, gave them the exact wording of the message and they replied that I needed to set up an account and remember my password. Duh! I couldn't have gotten as far as I did without having an account that I was signed into with the correct password.

We have used Firefox for several years now and have experienced no issues printing Boarding Passes or any other items from the HAL web site.

Me too. I've never had problems on any other site either with Firefox. I don't do Chrome because IMO Google is too intrusive.

Edited by Av8rix

It's not really HAL who's changed things. Here's the reason for the problems and a "fix" from MS itself:

Microsoft Windows 10 ships with two browsers - Internet Explorer 11 and the new Edge browser.

The Edge browser will be the default browser and Internet Explorer 11 will be available to support legacy workflows. The new Edge browser will not have any support for ActiveX plug-ins. Therefore, Acrobat/Reader plug-in won't work with Edge. For more information, see Change in support for Acrobat and Reader plug-ins in modern web browsers.

Use Internet Explorer 11 to open PDFs.

Not really a fix but a work-around. MS and Adobe have long had a hate-hate relationship and this is the latest shot fired from MS. Do be aware that any ActiveX plugin can be a security risk.

Google Chrome works fine with proper plugins. Mozilla Firefox works fine with proper plugins. IE 11 works fine with proper plugins.

Edited by 0bnxshs