What's your favorite "always available" entree?

jasbo49

Commercial with Mikey was, 'He LIKES it!' Or, 'I'm not gonna try it, YOU try it". Loved that kid - never ate the cereal. I love Captain Crunch- it's like eating razor blades but so worth it!

I have a wee bit of trepidation for our next cruise. Son is in culinary school and like a lot of young ones - knows more than I ever will! So I am sure we will get a few 'lesson's' on how to eat. :D

Maybe critical poster could liken this thread to: you go out and eat wonderful, marvellously plated, different food for a few nights in a row. Then all you want is to eat peas and pork chops in your underwear in front of the TV watching Curtis make something that might be good tomorrow........

Thank you for letting me know I can get shrimp or chicken with the fetteccini! Children's menu is a great tip too. Do I just ask for the menu or is it posted at the door with the regular one?

None of the above.

Fettuccine Alfredo in an entree-sized portion.

And I agree with shredie that I find the tri-tip to be out-and-out awful.

Although not usually a Fettuccine Alfredo fan...the one on Princess' menu is really good, especially in the parmesan bowl!! Yum!

Edited by suzyed

Actually, I thought the introduction of the Curtis Stone factor was appropriate in this thread (and I'm hoping that, as the OP, I get a vote on that).

I was just reading in the Captain's Circle magazine yesterday that three or four Stone dishes will be added to the "always available" menu. I guess that info had been out there for a couple weeks, but it hadn't grabbed a spot in my brain.

I think adding some new stuff to that menu will be welcome, but I'll bet Princess will ditch a few of the current offerings. Maybe someone at HQ will read this thread and take note of the fact that the salmon has a lot of fans and the tri tip, not many.

I'm sure they have stats on how popular certain menu items are, but it can't hurt to make noise here if you want your favorite preserved.

Jim

None of the above.

Fettuccine Alfredo in an entree-sized portion.

And I agree with shredie that I find the tri-tip to be out-and-out awful.

Yep and they'll add chicken to it for you as well. Makes a great meal. I treat myself to it once a cruise.

Edited by sueandkent

Caught.

And let me lob this back: I happened to notice in tonight's television listings that one of the shopping channels had a whole hour-long Curtis Stone infomercial. Um, great chef or shill -- you make the call. But we're the ones who are pedestrian. Okaaay . . .

I saw that too and was a little disappointed to see him hawking his slow cooker.

I saw that too and was a little disappointed to see him hawking his slow cooker.

OT: Wolfgang Puck has gone the infomercial/home shopping route, also. My guess is hawking cookware to millions is more profitable than owning restaurants serving a relative few. I'm sure it cheapens their "brands", but leaves them crying all the way to the bank.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

I love their Fettuccine Alfredo and cheesecake!

Instead of the chicken? ;) LOL.

Thank you for letting me know I can get shrimp or chicken with the fetteccini! Children's menu is a great tip too. Do I just ask for the menu or is it posted at the door with the regular one?

Ask for the kids' menu from your waiter.

Edited by shredie

Actually, I thought the introduction of the Curtis Stone factor was appropriate in this thread (and I'm hoping that, as the OP, I get a vote on that).

I was just reading in the Captain's Circle magazine yesterday that three or four Stone dishes will be added to the "always available" menu. I guess that info had been out there for a couple weeks, but it hadn't grabbed a spot in my brain.

I think adding some new stuff to that menu will be welcome, but I'll bet Princess will ditch a few of the current offerings. Maybe someone at HQ will read this thread and take note of the fact that the salmon has a lot of fans and the tri tip, not many.

I'm sure they have stats on how popular certain menu items are, but it can't hurt to make noise here if you want your favorite preserved.

Jim

HI Jim:

Thanks. Yes, there will be new "always on the menu items" in the MDR and they will be created by Curtis Stone and yes, some the other current items will fall prey to the cutting block. Little kitchen humour there!:)

I meant no disrespect to my fellow cruisers culinary likes.

Have a great cruise everyone:

OT: Wolfgang Puck has gone the infomercial/home shopping route, also. My guess is hawking cookware to millions is more profitable than owning restaurants serving a relative few. I'm sure it cheapens their "brands", but leaves them crying all the way to the bank.

They're business men. ;) No one really thinks Stone will be personally foaming the endive on the ship, do they? They sell the recipes to Princess and some poor over-worked staff person in the galley does all the work. I could be wrong, but it may be that the same staff member grilling my boring salmon is also the same staff person foaming my endive. :rolleyes:

Back to the topic: I forgot to mention that when my SIL got his Fettuccine Alfredo with shrimp, it was the little shrimp like is used in the shrimp cocktail, not the big prawns that come with some of the other entrees.

They're business men. ;) No one really thinks Stone will be personally foaming the endive on the ship, do they? They sell the recipes to Princess and some poor over-worked staff person in the galley does all the work. I could be wrong, but it may be that the same staff member grilling my boring salmon is also the same staff person foaming my endive. :rolleyes:

Back to the topic: I forgot to mention that when my SIL got his Fettuccine Alfredo with shrimp, it was the little shrimp like is used in the shrimp cocktail, not the big prawns that come with some of the other entrees.

Thx good to know about the shrimp. I will stick to the chicken. I am curious to see what the Curtis Stone entrees will be.

Appetizer size fet alfredo with a piece of grilled salmon on top. Yum! I might have to try the parmessan bowl, though.

Finally, someone got the combination I like. Add a Caesar salad and I'm good to go.

Any chance of getting shrimp with the Alfredo pasta. Sounds better to me then chicken[emoji1]

Yes, I have done it. I asked for the shrimp from the shrimp cocktail added, so they would not tell me they did not have the shrimp that nite.

Asking for just the basket is a great idea. Look @ all the wonderful ideas we get from CC:D

Edited by Ronnieslady

Can't beat the beef medallions or the salmon.

Are the beef medallions on the everyday menu the same as on the embarkation lunch beef medallions????. The wait staff said it is, but for me it is not as good as the lunch on the 1st day. The tenderness of the beef is different & the flavor of the beef is different. Maybe has something to do with the sauce???? like Pam mentioned.

Grilled salmon with herb and lemon butter

Grilled beef medallions

Sirloin beef burger topped with Stilton and mushrooms

I usually get teh burger if I can't find anything I want. It's great, but these are all my favs.

I don't know why, but for some reason I never order off the always available menu. I am going to give it a go in two weeks though.

Does anyone like the burgers? It looks like they change how they are presented each night. I might order one without the bun.

I've never had the burger at dinner, but the burgers at lunch in the MDR are really good.

I always manage to work a helping of fettuccine Alfredo somewhere into every dinner in the MDR :)