Papette for 15 hours after leaving ship

lizanne

We are on Oceania in March. Our ship docks at 8.00 but our flight home is not until 23.00. What can we do with our luggage for the day? Is it best to rent a car or to take organised trips?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

lizanne

Do you overnight in Papette the night before? If so, consider getting off the ship after dinner and fly out that night. When you land in LAX (or wherever) the next day, the rest of the passengers will just be disembarking the ship.

We did this last March and the airport was swarming with Oceania passengers skipping their last sleep on board and heading home.

Just a quick FYI: the Sofitel on Tahiti is closed. The closest Sofitel is on Moorea, sort of inconvenient for a day room but a beautiful property regardless.

My suggestion is to take the ferry and go to Moorea for a couple of days post cruise if time and money aren't a consideration. If not possible, best to get a day room at a local hotel. The Intercontinental is ok for that. Easier getting to the airport from there than from the Radisson. Manava Suites is a little further out but still a decent option....and the Meridian too.

We left the wold cruise in Papeete in earlylJune this year, and one of our perks was free transfers. Here's what happened. O transfer pax were bused to a resort hotel, the Pearl I think, where we had a common day room available all day. The hotel offered a circle island tour for about $55, which we purchased. The tour was great, and was a good use of our time. The hotel also offered a shuttle bus to the city, which others took, and did their own thing there. Either option works. We ate lunch and dinner there, (reasonable prices) then were bused to the airport about 8pm or so, where our bags were waiting for us. It takes a long time to proceed through the check in and security areas, but it's still a long wait for the flight to LAX. Keep in mind that there is no AC in the terminal, so it can get quite warm, and also, you board the plane from the tarmac, so you have to be able to carry your cabin bags up about 20 steps or so. Marlene

We've left Papeete twice, and it is a nightmare. I would definitely leave the ship early and take the flight out the first night you are there and not disembark on the scheduled day.

You are just sleeping on the ship--why not have a nice dinner, go to your room and freshen up and head to the airport. Everyone else is having their dinner then going to bed and getting up the next morning to handle the hassle of what needs to be done to cover another day.

There is no AC at the airport and it is not comfortable. Leaving the first night you avoid all the hassle of tours, transfers, day rooms, etc. etc.

Edited by spindrift

We rented a car and drove all the way around the island in a leisurely fashion, stopping at several places, then had a very nice dinner at a good restaurant in Papeete. But I agree with spindrift, better to just fly out the night before.

We booked OAir with a deviation and requested AM flights PPT-LAX. There ARE some, but must book ASAP so a deviation is best. If you take regular OAir without the deviation your flights are assigned much later plus O uses PM some charters for FP. If you can plan a pre and post cruise stay that would solve your problems:).

Do you overnight in Papette the night before? If so, consider getting off the ship after dinner and fly out that night. When you land in LAX (or wherever) the next day, the rest of the passengers will just be disembarking the ship.

We did this last March and the airport was swarming with Oceania passengers skipping their last sleep on board and heading home.

We've left Papeete twice, and it is a nightmare. I would definitely leave the ship early and take the flight out the first night you are there and not disembark on the scheduled day.

You are just sleeping on the ship--why not have a nice dinner, go to your room and freshen up and head to the airport. Everyone else is having their dinner then going to bed and getting up the next morning to handle the hassle of what needs to be done to cover another day.

There is no AC at the airport and it is not comfortable. Leaving the first night you avoid all the hassle of tours, transfers, day rooms, etc. etc.

I checked into doing this(leaving the ship the night before) for our cruise ending in PPT in March. I was told it does require a deviation fee to do this.

Did either of you have a deviation already or have to get one to do this?

Edited by ORV

We were one of those who did not take advantage of leaving the ship the night before and, therefore, with the hassle of not doing so. Our friends left the night before, and they were so smart. I cannot, however, answer the question about the deviation fee.

However, if you have to take a tour or get a day room or any of the extra expenses, it could be a wash for you.

You can get a day room * at a hotel there.

We had the same issue - pretty much everyone does because the night flights are so common - and the hotels are prepared to deal with this.

In our case, we stayed at the Radisson Plaza Resort, which was very nice.

------

* Regular room at a reduced rate. Bags in the room. Do a tour, go for a swim or whatever, eat dinner, and then off to the airport.

Renaissance put us up at a hotel for the day when they were doing those cruises. lunch buffet was included as well as transportation to the airport.

I checked into doing this(leaving the ship the night before) for our cruise ending in PPT in March. I was told it does require a deviation fee to do this.

Did either of you have a deviation already or have to get one to do this?

We did our own air so didn't have to deal with Oceania air department or a deviation