Do You Visit MDR for Any Formal Nites?

cjdixon4

I was just interested in hearing some opinions from other RCI cruisers after having a discussion with some friends. Do any of you go to the MDR for both formal nights, one night, or none of them? For me even though formal nights don't appear to be really FORMAL these days, the only time I typically get to eat lobster and my key lime pie is on formal night #2. My friends say they don't really care about it anymore and would opt for specialty or Windjammer. What are your thoughts?

We take dinner every night in the MDR and that includes all formal nights. We enjoy wearing our formal wear, and we enjoy dressing up for dinner. However, we're very much live and let live folks and people can dine and dress however they like- it's their cruise so whatever suits them!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We always go to both formal nights. It is fun to dress up. However, being from Maine and living less than 1/4 mile from the lobster pots (traps) I never eat the lobster.

Wow, only 4 posts before the "Maine lobster is better" post. I think we all know that, but thanks for sharing

We always go to both formal nights. It is fun to dress up. However, being from Maine and living less than 1/4 mile from the lobster pots (traps) I never eat the lobster.

;)I definitely get that…since we live in cow country and have access to fabulous beef at home, we don't go to Chops! We did go once and thought the steak wasn't as good as what we get at local steakhouses for the same or less $$!:eek: So we usually don't order much beef aboard.

We do usually go to both formal nights in the MDR. When we do a specialty, it's generally Izumi or Portofino. Haven't tried Giovanni's yet.

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

I eat in the MDR almost always. It takes me 15 minutes to get ready, seven of those minutes tying my tie. I know it takes some, about 2 hours to get ready, but isn't that the fun of it? So I'm told. I don't really see what the the big deal is about getting dressed a little nice for dinner or any occasion. It's nice seeing and eating in a nice atmosphere and seeing all the kids all dressed up and looking sharp and pretty.

It makes for a nice atmosphere, and a special night.

As far as the lobster, I can and do get it in the local supermarket. It's the same size, and taste the same. (I do remember getting real lobster in Maine, but I have to settle for the little things around here). So, I really don't care if they serve it or not. As long as I get something good, I'm happy.

Only 1 formal night for us these days, and really it's mostly for the photo op with my grandmother getting on in years (she's 88). Between flying (limited packing space / baggage fees) and our desire to stay ashore as long as possible (beach time at the end of a day spent sight seeing requires some clean-up time), seems 1 formal is all we bother with. As for which one, whatever fits into the schedule better.

I didn't say it was better, I am just able to get it easily at home. I eat lamb or duck because those are foods I don't get at home!

My apologies. But what do you eat on lobster night? Lamb and duck don't seem to be available