Is it worth it to book a cruise onboard?

MissWriter

We are newbies at cruising so I'd like some advice on whether it's worth it to book another cruise while onboard. Or better to wait til a certain time of year? Thanks!

While onboard the Oasis you can get a future cruise certificate, no set date, no expiration, cost is $100.00 which is given back when you book a cruise as a OBC, and the 100.00 is all you need as deposit when you decide to book. We usually use the FCC when RCCL is having a sale and offering perks, we then switch our booking over to our online TA and pick up added perks that our TA is offering which usually includes a specialty dinner, added OBC and pre paid gratuities. happy cruising. No matter who you book with always keep checking for price drops, a quick phone call to you TA or the cruise line will usually get you a reduced price..

While onboard the Oasis you can get a future cruise certificate, no set date, no expiration, cost is $100.00 which is given back when you book a cruise as a OBC, and the 100.00 is all you need as deposit when you decide to book. We usually use the FCC when RCCL is having a sale and offering perks, we then switch our booking over to our online TA and pick up added perks that our TA is offering which usually includes a specialty dinner, added OBC and pre paid gratuities. happy cruising. No matter who you book with always keep checking for price drops, a quick phone call to you TA or the cruise line will usually get you a reduced price..

That has changed this past year. While the deposit is still reduced, the OBC has been reduced to $25. Not much of an incentive anymore. I also heard there are restrictions now on how flexible you can be with changing the booking later - but I'm not certain of that. And as there is no discount in stateroom pricing for on board bookings and the frequent BOGO programs offered, there is really no significant advantage IMO to booking on board beyond the reduced deposit.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Princess has a Future Cruise Deposit, too. You pay $100 for the FCD, and that $100 counts as your deposit for whatever cruise you book with it and you get on board credit for that cruise.

We used our first one to book a 15-day Panama Canal cruise. The $100 deposit covered what would have been a deposit of more than $500. And my wife and I were each given OBC of $150. Pretty good profit on a $100 investment.

Oh, and if you don't use it within two years, they refund your $100. Can't lose.

P.S.: But no actual discount.

Jim

Edited by jasbo49

Carnival Book Onboard gives OBC per cabin (amount dependent on length of cruise, $50-$250, the top might be $200 as I always confuse the amount with the shareholder credit) and two Friend and Family vouchers for the same cruise.

It really depends on the cruise line.

On HAL we will not actually book another cruise. But we do buy what is called Future Cruise deposits -- get the certificates -- then when we decide on a cruise, we give our TA the certificate numbers.

By doing this we get extra shipboard credit for that future cruise. The amount depends on the length of the cruise and cabin category that you book.

All you can do is go and talk to the Future Cruise Consultant on your ship and see what perks they offer. HAL requires that you pay for those deposits with your credit card at the time of booking -- the deposits are not added on to our shipboard account. So that is something else you need to ask about for your cruise line.

I've purchased the HAL future cruise certificates numerous times, and really don't see a downside if you know you're going to cruise again on that line during the next 4 years.

Roz