I can't believe how many people stay on ship in GC.

TnTWalter

It is one of the most beautiful places. Is it because it's tendered?

I'm taking my first cruise and wanted to make sure Grand Cayman was included as I've been there twice on vacations.

I haven't been to too many islands but enough to know that it is not a place I would skip.

Think about it .... For people who don't like the beach or water sports there really isn't that much to do especially for those who have been there bunches of times.

Since we like the beach, it's no problem for us but can understand it could be for others who don't.

Grand Cayman is one of the safest port stops in the Caribbean ... but it is also one of the most expensive. ;)

LuLu

makes sense if you've been there many times I guess...I was talking to a friend who has been on a few cruises and never gotten off...that's what I was thinking of. Not sure why I posted....

I guess if someone had never been and was on the fence. I would say just go to the beach if you don't want to do a tour.

Thanks. Trish

Think about it .... For people who don't like the beach or water sports there really isn't that much to do especially for those who have been there bunches of times.

Since we like the beach, it's no problem for us but can understand it could be for others who don't.

Grand Cayman is one of the safest port stops in the Caribbean ... but it is also one of the most expensive. ;)

LuLu

Cayman is not that expensive. Jamaica is more! Costa Maya is 4 times what Cayman is - we found the same shirt in Costa Maya that was $20 but in Cozumel it was $5, go figure that one out. But Like you said, Cayman is the safest island in the Caribbean! And they are proud of that fact. We love Cayman and have been on many cruises. One of the most fun things to do is to keep going back and trying new things in the ports. Cayman is one of those ports that there is so much to do. The first time we were there, the turtle farm was so little. It's grown so much in 12 years that it is neat to go back and see it again. Still not sure what we are going to do in Cayman but sitting on the beach, relaxing sound like the best thing in the world right now!

I can think of many reason to get off the ship in Grand Cayman that don't involve the typical beach/ stingray/ turtle farm and is off the beaten path (but still close to the ship via bus/taxi) .

Most of them are food related reasons though lol ;)

1) The patties available at Foster's Food Fair supermarket near the Ritz are amazing. They are sold in the deli section. The spicy beef pattie and curry chicken pattie are my favorites and a super cheap filling lunch. You have to get there early though before they sell out. A quick $2.50 USD each way bus ride will get you there.

2) Tortuga Rum Cake store near the waterfront/pier. They have free samples of cake, plus they sometimes sell a variety of beef and chicken patties. The pineapple rum cake is my favorite.

3) A La Kebab - Located in the Marquee Plaza on Seven Mile, just past Pizza Hut. If you like gyro or donner kebab, then this place will rock your world. I am addicted to their food and missed this place almost more than the beach when I moved back to the US. They specialize in either lamb/beef wraps or chicken wraps with either white or wheat pita bread and about 10 different homemade sauces ranging from tzatziki to curry to peanut satay.

They have poutine, but their regular fries are very delicious also. They also have middle eastern salads and souvlaki and other things, which are good, but their specialty are the wraps and fries. I would personally suggest a beef/lamb wrap with all the veggies plus feta cheese, tzatziki. I suggest a side of mango chutney and also peanut satay to dip the fries in. Bus will also take you there and back for $2.50 pp each way.

4) Coconut Joe's - This little restaurant is located across from Comfort Suites on Seven Mile. They have delicious nachos and this really special and fun drink called a " beer-garita." It is a pitcher of frozen margarita with an ice cold Corona flipped upside down in it. You order a pitcher per person ;) Very refreshing drink

5) Caymana Bay - Try Ortanique for lunch. It is pricey, but it is in a lovely modern shopping center with a nice view of a bay. While at Caymana Bay, I would suggest Gelato and Co. for dessert. Their nocciola (hazelnut) gelato is the stuff dreams are made of

6) Ragazzi - Get a real thin crust Italian style pizza for lunch- just like the authentic cracker thin crust pizzas I had when I was in Italy. So delicious- especially a ham, mozzarella, mushroom, and pineapple pizza! They are located in Buckingham Square on Seven Mile Beach and again, a $2.50 each way bus ride will get you there and back

7) Kirk's Supermarket - in the Seven Mile beach area, just after the Burger King near the port on West Bay Road. You can find a great selection of international chocolates there for a good price....Much better than any duty free shop in Cayman, US, or Mexico. I would stock up on the Lindt there, especially the orange and raspberry filled milk chocolate bars, as well as Kinder-Bueno bars. Also, they carry Casali brand Choco-Banana ( Schoko-Bananen) for those of you who know what that is... however I cleaned them out of their stock when I visited in August :)

I love Grand Cayman!

Edited by CocoCandy

We enjoyed it too. A "Minus 5 Ice Bar" opened in May. You get parkas or fake "fur" coats, and everything in the bar except the bartender is ice!! We wanted to go this June, but ran out of time. Has anyone been? Google it...looks like a great place for a "cold" drink and photo op!

We have never been to grand cayman but are planning to stay on the ship. Don't want to fight the tender crowds and would like to spend time on the ship less crowded. We love beaches but our cruise goes to 7 ports so we have plenty of those planned already.

I think the tender has a lot to do with it. You will never catch me staying on the ship when in port at GC. Love it there! Its clean and safe and home to 7 Mile Beach, Smith Cove, Sting Ray City, Caybrew Brewery and much more! The single best excursion we have done to date anywhere was Stingray City on Jet Ski's with Fat Fish Adventures! It was incredible from start to finish.

We also like Grand Cayman ... but once it was an overcast rainy sort of day so we just stayed on the ship. Since our plans were to take a taxi to 7 Mile, it would not have been a good beach day.

We considered going over for lunch ... but a rainy tender ride was not appealing.

LuLu

• 3 weeks later...

We have been many times and would never miss it. Food is more expensive then most other ports but the typical tourist junk is not. I agree that it is cheaper in general then Jamaica especially at the Falmouth port area.

Get off and have a great day!

On our upcoming cruise, I am seriously considering staying on the ship. How crowded is the ship usually? Will Sanctuary, Serenity area be busy?

We stayed on board at this port during our last cruise (and also at our stops in Belize and Roaton). Like you, we have cruised many times and have been to these ports many times.

For us, we were very very happy with our decision. No waiting in lines at any of the food venues, bars and had to pool areas shared with only a few others. No crowding anywhere at all, no lounge chair hogs to deal with. It made for a very relaxing cruise and we plan to do the largely the same on our next one that goes to these same ports as well!

Think about it .... For people who don't like the beach or water sports there really isn't that much to do

DW and I aren't beach people, which is why we haven't sailed the Carib yet. But Cabo was the same way and we spent an hour the first day to parasail, and 30 minutes the second to use some wifi. My upcoming Allure OTS cruise is Eastern Carib and the ship is my destination - aside from Maho Beach for the planes, I'll likely be on board all week.

• 4 weeks later...
Why would i stay on the ship.

Been there 9 times, but that's not the main reason

7 ships and 23,000 extra people on our next visit is the main

reason.

Ive been many times so it no longer appeals to me, but when we went last January, there a bunch of ships in port. Getting back on tender was chaos. It was HOT. line confusion, about 1000 + people in the entrance at one time. Took about 40 minutes to get back on tender. Once you got closer to the front of the line RCCL gave their people water and things to cool them off. I can on Carnival who did not give me such a perk. Never experienced anything like that before so next year I will just stay on board

Been to GC numerous time. Living in SoFla neither the beach nor the weather is a draw. Sometimes we walk around the shops and browse the antique store. This time we may visit the distillery...or just stay on board. Seen the sites there and don't really care either way. But is you're in from where it's cold, you have other priorities. For me, it's just getting away and relaxing