What's best for each island?

amalfidrive

Hello,

We are taking a Southern Caribbean cruise in early January on Adventure of the Seas. We have stops on St. Croix, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, Dominica, and Barbados.

While looking at shore excursions, I don't know what's best for each island. We want to take one snorkeling trip, beach days, sight seeing, etc. For all you experienced cruisers, I would love to hear your opinions on what's best for each stop.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi there and welcome. We have some fabulous Ports of Call boards where each of your ports is discussed daily. You can read the threads for each port and get some ideas of excursions and things to do in each port. Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587 <--click here, Caribbean ports of call forums

I am going on the adventure in 2 weeks sand will be going to st croix and barbados. In St Croix we are doing Big Beard's snorkeling to Buck Island.

http://www.bigbeards.com/

In Barbados we are doing the Calabaza Cruise to snorkel and see sea turtles (reviews are great for this)

http://www.calabazasailingcruises.com/cruises.html

I can let you know how they were in about a month!

We've snorkeled in Barbados on Calabaza (great day, amazing food, great crew, wonderful pictures). We've also gone to Boatyard Beach ($15pp, chair, umbrella (free wifi), two drinks & transportation back to ship terminal.). The cab there was $5pp, you could walk it in 10-15 min too. Maho beach in St Maarten to watch the planes come in (have to do this once). Dominica go to the sulphur pools & Mr Nice (private tour will run you $35-40pp, or snorkeling at Champagne Reef

Champagne reef snorkel in Dominica is really different-- St Martin seems to be divided between Moho and orient beachs for beaching day. St kitts has great catamaran sailing days--

Tough to recommend anything without more data about what you guys like/dislike etc

We highly recommended Thenford Grey's tour on St. Kitts. He's an excellent guide and a wonderful ambassador for his country. The tour provides a nice balance between sightseeing and beach time.

We also recommend Bernard's tour on St. Maarten - it's also a great combination of sightseeing, beach time at Orient, and then time at Maho beach to see the planes land (definitely youtube Maho Beach to see what the excitement is there!)

You can google either of these tours for more info.

Best always varies by person.

If this was me I would read about each island and things that I could do.

A good source for this is the ports of call board on Cruuise Critic.

Keith

I was thinking this same thing - I have never seen a thread where someone was asking about the "Best" of anything and got a definitive answer. I don't even know if I could pick the "best" for myself, let alone for someone else. It all depends....:confused:

But then I find it difficult to identify the "Best" of anything - apparently that isn't just the way I think.

Edited by MNfamilycruiser

If we were returning to St. Maarten, Dominica, and Barbados we would:

-go to Marigot in St. M.

-go back to the Rain Forest in Dominica

-go back to Carlisle Bay in Barbados

There are so many good excursions on each island.

Dominica requires a good driver and guide for a tour as it has narrow, winding roads. Check the Dominica forum for reviews.