Passport book vs passport card?

First timer36

We are headed to the Caribbean on a closed loop from Galveston. Wondering what would be the best idea a passport book or the card? Me and my daughter are both have birth certificates but my DH just became a citizen. We were thinking it would just be easier to get a passport. Just not sure I which one. Please help!

We are headed to the Caribbean on a closed loop from Galveston. Wondering what would be the best idea a passport book or the card? Me and my daughter are both have birth certificates but my DH just became a citizen. We were thinking it would just be easier to get a passport. Just not sure I which one. Please help!

Can't fly internationally with the card. Just get a passport.

Other than closed-loop cruise itineraries within the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) area, the only other thing the passport card is good for is land travel between the US and Canada. If you or your family have even a small chance of taking an international flight in the future, just get the passport book now. Much more of a chance it will be useful to you more than just this once.

Other than closed-loop cruise itineraries within the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) area, the only other thing the passport card is good for is land travel between the US and Canada. If you or your family have even a small chance of taking an international flight in the future, just get the passport book now. Much more of a chance it will be useful to you more than just this once.

OP may be ok with the passport card on what ever mass market line they are using in Galveston for a closed loop trip. But, if they ever opt for a premium or luxury line, remember that most of them require a regular passport for all passengers on all itineraries.

Thank you. I think we will just get the books for myself and DH but the card for our 3yrold

Not a bad choice. DW has a naturalization certificate and while we were fine with using it for closed looped cruises I was nervous because if it got damaged (something as simple as spilling a glass of water on it) then it would cost $350 to replace it. We eventually opted for enhanced drivers licenses for cruising because it serves the same function as a passport card but since we always carry our licenses with us it is one less thing to keep track of (and carry). A passport for your young one would need to be renewed every 5 years so using a card saves quite a bit. Should you decide to cruise on a luxury line or fly internationally you'll very likely know in plenty of time to get a passport for her, it doesn't take them that long to make them;).

They are as rare as hen's teeth nowadays but if there is an open jaw sailing within the western hemisphere the passport card may be used for those also.

Here's the best outline of the differences between the passport book versus the passport card: Passport Book vs. Passport Card

A passport book is good for 10 years and you will never have to turn down a great deal on a great itinerary because you didn't have one. It's the supreme travel document and you'll never have to worry when and where it's acceptable.

Edited by BlueRiband

Here's the best outline of the differences between the passport book versus the passport card: Passpor Book vs. Passport Card

A passport book is good for 10 years and you will never have to turn down a great deal on a great itinerary because you didn't have one. It's the supreme travel document and you'll never have to worry when and where it's acceptable.

The passport is only valid for 5 years for their daughter. They would need to obtain the first one and 2 others before their daughter is eligible for a 10 year passport and unless they are planning an international trip by air it is not necessary to have one (and if a great deal does show up they would have time at that point to obtain one).

Edited by sparks1093

I'll presume his daughter is under 16 so it's true she can only have 5 years of validity. The statement still stands. It's the supreme travel document and the OP will have have to worry if the document is "good enough". He might make the opposite cost vs. convenience calculation than you have made in the past.

I'll presume his daughter is under 16 so it's true she can only have 5 years of validity. The statement still stands. It's the supreme travel document and the OP will have have to worry if the document is "good enough". He might make the opposite cost vs. convenience calculation than you have made in the past.

OP decided passports for parents, passport card for 3yo daughter (post 5). OP made the choice that works for her and her family and that is all that matters. (And FWIW once I made my decision I never worried if my documents were "good enough" because I had done my research and I knew they were.)

sparks1093, you made this statement in November 2013:

I don't have one for the simple reason that the type of travel that I am able to do right now does not require a passport. In three or four years when my travel needs change then I will get a passport and will not have wasted three or four years of validity.(my emphasis)

You're somewhat unique among other posters here because you see travel with a passport when one isn't "needed" as "wasting" validity. As with many things in life having something for "peace of mind" or seeing it as being a "waste" is relative.

I'm happy the OP has decided to get passports and that you have never been in a situation where not having one caused you any problems.

sparks1093, you made this statement in November 2013:

You're somewhat unique among other posters here because you see travel with a passport when one isn't "needed" as "wasting" validity. As with many things in life having something for "peace of mind" or seeing it as being a "waste" is relative.

I'm happy the OP has decided to get passports and that you have never been in a situation where not having one caused you any problems.

LOL, I'm glad you took the time to find that old gem:). DW and I leave in 9 days for Europe and we obtained our passports this year for this trip and yes, I now have a full 10 years on said passport for travel and as things are now in our lives we should be able to travel to Europe every year or two from now until our health doesn't allow it:D.

If someone wants to get a passport for the peace of mind it gives them that is nothing to me, it's their choice and their money. Everyone needs to make their own decision that is based on their travel needs and as with any decision the more facts one has the better that decision will be (since in this thread the OP had made their decision prior to my participating I did not go into all of the pros and cons as I normall do). My reasoning won't work for everyone and that's perfectly acceptable to me.

We've done the card for our kids on cruises since they expire in 5 years. But you always run the risk of not being able to return by flight. So now we'll just pay the bit extra and do the books. After all that paperwork and headache to do the cards, it seems kinda senseless to not get the books

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

passport card is only a few dollars cheaper then a real passport. the card works the same as a birth certificate / drivers license

A first time passport card is $55, a passport is $135. That's more than a few;). As stated the passport card may be used for land crossings and for open jaw sailings also, it's a durable document and the traveler's information is in the State Department database making it easier for the Consulate to provide aid.

We've done the card for our kids on cruises since they expire in 5 years. But you always run the risk of not being able to return by flight. So now we'll just pay the bit extra and do the books. After all that paperwork and headache to do the cards, it seems kinda senseless to not get the books.

The passport card sounds like it would be really convenient for those who routinely drive over the US/Canadian or US/Mexican boarders - a wallet card instead of a book. But so many first timers really are not aware of the differences - a big newbie mistake would be thinking a passport card was a "mini passport"! I've bookmarked the travel.state.gov web page because it so clearly compares the differences between the two.

Thank you. I think we will just get the books for myself and DH but the card for our 3yrold

For the 3 year old a passport card is not necessary. A birth certificate will do just fine.

Really the card is a waste of money, offers no advantage.

For the 3 year old a passport card is not necessary. A birth certificate will do just fine.

Really the card is a waste of money, offers no advantage.

I agree, why even bother to get the 3 year old a passport card or book? You're better off just saving the money and using the birth certificate for a while until you decide you will be travelling internationally

I agree, why even bother to get the 3 year old a passport card or book? You're better off just saving the money and using the birth certificate for a while until you decide you will be travelling internationally

I would get a couple of extra copies of the birth certificate. I got three copies of Kid's BC: one goes in the bank box and another in our fireproof file cabinet. The third was used for his school enrollment, passport application, and other stuff like that.

• 5 months later...

do the bahamas count as international travel for the purpose of a card vs passport regarding flying (thinking about med evac) ?

other than maybe drives to canada,i never see myself flying to anywhere out of country in the next decade. unless i win the lottery, this cruise would be once and done.

do the bahamas count as international travel for the purpose of a card vs passport regarding flying (thinking about med evac) ?

other than maybe drives to canada,i never see myself flying to anywhere out of country in the next decade. unless i win the lottery, this cruise would be once and done.

Because its once and done-- all you need is a birth certificate and a state issued photo id. and do not miss the ship

Yes, the Bahamas are international, and you would need a passport booket to fly back to the US from there.