All inclusive vs Cruise

uncleg

I hear people on both sides of isle rant about the advantages of one over another.

I have only cruised mainly because it seems to be more affordable for me as a single traveler.....I would like to try an all-inclusive resort...but paying double for accommodations plus airfare make it out of reach for me...unless I am missing something. I also have heard they are real family oriented and there are not a lot of singles. I always find plenty of singles on a cruise.

Is any of this true or am I looking at wrong resorts?

My husband and I have been to many A/I but we always choose Adults Only. I believe if you search "singles" you may find some where you don't pay such a premium for traveling single.

You could also search on TripAdvisor.com for A/I that don't charge a single supplement. Seems the travel industry is doing a disservice to singles and missing out on $$$ they could get by pulling singles to their resorts.

While many people who cruise would also have experienced all inclusive resorts, I was wondering if you have investigated sites where people would more specifically frequent resorts...such as trip advisor, or that sort.

hope you find what you are looking for

We've done an AI once. It was nice, but I got bored being on one island for a week. But I don't know why I don't get bored being on a ship for 10 days, even if I don't ever get off. I guess I just love traveling on a ship.

have done the AI thing and I just like the cruises better. I am too antsy and can't just sit around on a lounge chair. I like to be doing something most of the time. yes you can do that on an AI resort but most things you have to go somewhere to do it and then the cost more. My 02

michael

We did the A/I thing once, it was nice for a few days.

The excursions we did were pretty much identical to what you could do from a ship and we enjoyed them, but by day three we were almost dreading going back to the resort. We both found this odd because the resort was huge, much bigger than a ship, but there was really not much to do other than the pool or lounge around.

They had activities but they were sporadic at best. It seemed as if they just expected you to sleep at the resort and fill your days and nights with excursions.

It probably didn't help that we spent the week comparing everything to the ship.

Not all AI's are created equal (just as all cruise ships/lines aren't created equal). There are many different styles of resorts. It also depends on time of year that you go as to whether there are alot of families or not. You might do well at something like one of the Hard Rock resorts.

DH and I alternate cruises and AI vacations. The research questions are the same. Where do I want to go? What do I want to do, sit on a beach, go shopping, take excursions, diving and watersports? What are the demographics of the resort/ship and does that demographic work for me? What level of luxury and service do I want, super luxury, luxury, lovely and comfortable?

We don't find AI's repetitive or restrictive at all. We are in our early 50's, the kids grown and gone, and love getting out and exploring beautiful countries in more depth than an 8 hour cruise stop or sitting by the beach doing silly activities. On the other hand on a cruise we get to a variety of places that we might not get to go at all, and a short stop and maybe a tour is always better than not ever going to some of these places. We find the service and food to be about the same for both when comparing similar *quality* ships and AIs. In the end we end up spending less on an AI vacation than a cruise, but it's strictly a function of our choices.

If you do the same research to choose an AI as you do to choose a cruise, you will have a fabulous vacation either way.

JoJo

Edited by bosswench

We have a lot of cruise experience (well over 3 years on cruise ships as passengers) and some AI experience. So here are my thoughts. If you cruise for the ports and itinerary then an AI is not going to be a cruise substitute. But if you cruise because you love the sea days, sitting around the pool, and relaxing then a good AI is a great alternative. In fact, we have recently been cutting-back on our cruising (usually do 70-100 days a year) because the cruise lines have been cutting back on us :(. Up until the last 3 or 4 years we would usually choose a cruise over an AI. Now, we think the better AIs offer a better overall experience then any of the mass market cruise lines. While cruise lines have been increasing their pricing and reducing the quality of food/entertainment/service onboard, the AI world still has some great deals in gorgeous settings. And the top AIs offer superior food to what you now get on mass market lines, and AI does mean All Inclusive. The last time we did a good adult-only AI our total bill after a week was Zero! During that week we did dispense about $50 in tips (we took a stack of dollar bills)....but this was our preference and many do not even tip a dollar.

Hank

We like both!

If you choose the 'right' cruise or AI how bad can it be?

It is not either or for us. It comes down to the best use of our travel dollars at that particular point in time given the market offerings.

Edited by iancal

Its that feeling of constantly being in motion, even on big ships like the Breakaway where you don't feel the sea movement much - I've wished I done cruises sooner than so many land vacations where I walked for miles & miles and still didn't feel satisfied that I moved enough. But I making up for lost time - will I ever do another resort again? Maybe not, I'm liking all the different cruising options and not having to pay it all up at once even when its years out - its refreshing and relaxing just on the planning stages, let alone the actual going on the ship. I can't help but like cruising...[emoji7]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

DH and I alternate cruises and AI vacations. The research questions are the same. Where do I want to go? What do I want to do, sit on a beach, go shopping, take excursions, diving and watersports? What are the demographics of the resort/ship and does that demographic work for me? What level of luxury and service do I want, super luxury, luxury, lovely and comfortable?

We don't find AI's repetitive or restrictive at all. We are in our early 50's, the kids grown and gone, and love getting out and exploring beautiful countries in more depth than an 8 hour cruise stop or sitting by the beach doing silly activities. On the other hand on a cruise we get to a variety of places that we might not get to go at all, and a short stop and maybe a tour is always better than not ever going to some of these places. We find the service and food to be about the same for both when comparing similar *quality* ships and AIs. In the end we end up spending less on an AI vacation than a cruise, but it's strictly a function of our choices.

If you do the same research to choose an AI as you do to choose a cruise, you will have a fabulous vacation either way.

JoJo

We are the same. We like variety in our vacations ... cruises, AIs, culture immersion, etc. Our expectations for each are quite different and we enjoy those differences.

Pros and cons. We like both and try to do one of each every year. Cruise ships are better organised if things go wrong and I think the food and service is better. Advantage of being on an Island is lazing on the beach at sunset or having a walk round. If you aren't big drinkers AI can be expensive.

We have taken less cruises the past few years as we became a bit disillusioned but we have come back again:D

We are also taking fewer cruises in favour of independent land travel. Not certain if we are simply cruised out, if the bloom has gone off the flower. Or if the value in comparison to other travel options is not as compelling.

Now that we are retired we want to spend much more time in one place...an eight hour port stop does not do it for us in most locations. The cruise will always be a warm weather option for us in the winter. One benefit is that we now find ourselves returning to areas where we cruised to do land trips. Three weeks in Sicily, few weeks in Croatia, two weeks in Malta, and multiple trips to Turkey and Greece.

You could also check a location you might want to visit and research the costs if you stay somewhere not all-inclusive. We used to do AI vacations, but found we enjoyed it more when we explored local culture, food, etc. on our own. Now it's probably been 20 years since we've done one.

I encourage people to not get in a cruising rut. You can only see a small part of the world from ship ports, and then only a small sampling of those ports. It's a big world out there!

Edited by LrgPizza

I do not believe that one is better than another.

Does it not simply come down to personal preference???

Absolutely agree with the OP about getting into a cruising rut. We are cruised out for now....tired of the bland sameness of meals and stateroom on board and no time to really see the port stops.

Edited by iancal

I do not believe that one is better than another.

Does it not simply come down to personal preference???

Absolutely agree with the OP about getting into a cruising rut. We are cruised out for now....tired of the bland sameness of meals and stateroom on board and no time to really see the port stops.

We feel the same and are in the midst of a two year break from cruising. Everyone gets into ruts and variety in our vacations is important to us. I haven't looked as forward to a vacation as I am to our Israel trip next summer.

After reading a few of the posts thought we would say a few words about AIs. Like cruise lines/ships, there are different types of AIs and they vary from budget places with mostly buffet options to expensive high-end places with gourmet food. We generally prefer the Adults-Only resorts (such as the Excellence or Secrets) that are of very high quality. Even the smallest (and least expensive rooms) are very large (hundreds of square feet) with free stocked mini-bars (replenished daily or on demand). Rooms can be first fall walk outs where the pool is outside your patio. As to food, most of these type resorts have 5-8 restaurant options (these two chains do not require reservations) which vary from a Lido type buffet to upscale French, Italian, Seafood, etc. At the Excellence one could have lobster every day (lunch and dinner) if that is their preference. These resorts also have some kind of nightly entertainment which can vary from a singer to some very good shows. One favorite or ours was a Michael Jackson Show (the guy was amazing) which roamed the top AIs in Punta Cana for a few years.

IMHO the decent AI's are comparable to the ultra luxury cruise lines when it comes to food, drinks, rooms, and service.

Hank

I find in the Caribbean that resorts have less lines and the heard mentality that there is on cruiseships. I miss the choices of entertainment at night at AI's compared to ships. Both DH and I love live music and dancing and find ships or an island vacation on an island like St. Maarten where we feel comfortable out at night better than an AI after dinner.

It depends on what you want. If you want comfort and service and good food, it's going to be hard to beat a good all inclusive like a grand velas in cancun or something similar, there's just so much space, huge pools, beach, etc.

But no matter how good an AI is, you will never wake up the next day and happen to be in Israel, then wake up a couple of days after that and just casually happen to be in Italy, then Greece, etc.

So it really depends on what you are going for.

I like Cruising for adventuring, while AI hotels are more for like seating on my ass the whole day ordering food.

I like Cruising for adventuring, while AI hotels are more for like seating on my ass the whole day ordering food.

I'm the opposite. I do land vacations when I want to be adventurous. I cruise when I want to lounge around on my ass on a ship and get merely a tiny sampling of a few ports. Cruises are just enough to let me know where I might want to vacation.

I'm the opposite. I do land vacations when I want to be adventurous. I cruise when I want to lounge around on my ass on a ship and get merely a tiny sampling of a few ports. Cruises are just enough to let me know where I might want to vacation.

Many folks that pay for an AI don't want to leave the resort to pay for food, beverages and activities. You read about cruisers who hate missing a meal on the ship as they feel that they have already paid for that meal. Paying for your accommodation, meals and activities seperately is often the most expensive if you stay in similar star accommodation and eat at restaurants of similar types as the AI's and ships.