Major QM2 interior refit 2016

QM1

Do you have specific rooms booked or have you booked guarantee rooms? Cunard say insides and BY categories will be refurbished next year.

Queen Mary 2 will be refurbishing the following grades in 2016 dry dock:

• All Grills Suites

• All Britannia Club balconies on Deck 12

• All Britannia Balconies on Deck 12, Deck 11 and Deck 8

• All Britannia Obstructed Balconies on Deck 8

• BU/BV Grades of Britannia Sheltered balconies on Deck 6

Queen Mary 2 will be refurbishing the following staterooms in service over 2017:

• Remaining BZ/BY Grades of Britannia Sheltered Balconies on Deck 6

• All Britannia sheltered balconies on Deck 4 and Deck 5

• All Britannia Ocean Views

• All Britannia Atrium Views

• All Britannia Insides

Thanks for this--as we look at sailing dates

The scope of the refit, in terms of cabins, seems ambitious to me given the time frame.

Remember the QE2 1994 refit, Cunard!

I remember the stories about that one! They were still putting down carpets while she was on her post-refit WB TA. Passengers' horror stories of tripping over rolls of carpeting made the local (NYC) TV news when she arrived.

Memories of that refit caused me to book a high glass-front balcony for our cruise instead of one of the supposed-to-be finished BU/BV sheltered cabins on 6.

The scope of the refit, in terms of cabins, seems ambitious to me given the time frame.

Remember the QE2 1994 refit, Cunard!

I don't know what happened in 1994 nor do I know Cunard's contracts with Blohm + Voss, but what I know is that shipyards and others, too, have to pay considerable penalties if schedules are not kept. Don't think there is reason to be worried.

I don't know what happened in 1994 nor do I know Cunard's contracts with Blohm + Voss, but what I know is that shipyards and others, too, have to pay considerable penalties if schedules are not kept. Don't think there is reason to be worried.

A lot of people do worry. I've read quite a few posts where people say they avoid booking the first voyage after a drydock.

A lot of people do worry. I've read quite a few posts where people say they avoid booking the first voyage after a drydock.

Yes, they say they WOULD avoid, which does not mean that they actually do.

I don't see a problem for you though, and knowing Cunard for many years I am sure that they would grant discounts if the ship should not be as agreed upon. By the way, I consider to book the TA from Hamburg, after her renewal.

:)

Does anyone know whether the food in the new Carinthia Cafe will be at an additional charge? Also the renderings seem to indicate a much smaller space than the current winter garden footprint. Will the cafe only take up part of the former space and if so, what might be next to it? Thx.

Odd wording, "over 2017." That seems a long time to finish this process. Any bets on whether the BU/BV cabins will really be done by the end of the dry dock? And if they are, how intrusive will it be to have refits done to other cabins on the same deck? I want to book Christmas, and I'm thinking I have to go for a higher balcony grade just to be sure we'll have a refurbished room and no commotion down the hall.

I am just curious, what type of commotion do you anticipate. it seems they are just redoing carpets some furniture, not hammers and jack hammers and ripping down walls. ??? I am thinking the whole process will be silent?? Do correct me if I am wrong???

I am just curious, what type of commotion do you anticipate. it seems they are just redoing carpets some furniture, not hammers and jack hammers and ripping down walls. ??? I am thinking the whole process will be silent?? Do correct me if I am wrong???

Yikes, how can the process of refitting cabins (amongst other areas) be silent? Of course there will be noise, smells, and commotion as furniture is removed, rugs glued, coverings of the walls changed, soft furnishings changed.

Cunard has been straightforward in saying that the refit will continue through 2017 and that the schedule is subject to change.

But there are other areas of the ship that we don't see that will be undergoing changes. How those changes work will only be known once the ship leaves dry dock. And I suspect that is why many experienced mariners don't book a cruise immediately following dry dock. Others love the thrill - just a matter of personal preference. -S.

Yikes, how can the process of refitting cabins (amongst other areas) be silent? Of course there will be noise, smells, and commotion as furniture is removed, rugs glued, coverings of the walls changed, soft furnishings changed.

Cunard has been straightforward in saying that the refit will continue through 2017 and that the schedule is subject to change.

But there are other areas of the ship that we don't see that will be undergoing changes. How those changes work will only be known once the ship leaves dry dock. And I suspect that is why many experienced mariners don't book a cruise immediately following dry dock. Others love the thrill - just a matter of personal preference. -S.

I wonder what other areas of the ship (that we don't see) will be subject to changes. Would you let us know?

And yes, some of the changes will not be silent, but they won't be noisy either, and as a whole it will probably just not be as comfortable as we know it from the past.

Don't forget that most of the ship will be newly decorated and, in order not to disturb passengers, there will be instructions to keep inconveniences to a minimum.

... And I suspect that is why many experienced mariners don't book a cruise immediately following dry dock. Others love the thrill - just a matter of personal preference. -S.
I wouldn't count myself as an "experienced mariner"; there are many here who have vastly more experience than me. However, much as I am very keen to see the changes to QM2, I wouldn't book a cruise or crossing immediately following a major dry-dock refit (and this is a major refit ;) ). There is too much that can go wrong or add delays to sailing. This could, at best, mean work continuing during the sailing (as infamously happened to QE2 in 1994) or, at worst, the cruises/crossings immediately following being cancelled. Whilst one might get money refunded etc, this doesn't compensate for the disappointment. Far better to wait and book a voyage a few weeks/months after it is all over, IMHO.

Best wishes to you :)

Edited by pepperrn

I wouldn't count myself as an "experienced mariner"; there are many here who have vastly more experience than me. However, much as I am very keen to see the changes to QM2, I wouldn't book a cruise or crossing immediately following a major dry-dock refit (and this is a major refit ;) ). There is too much that can go wrong or add delays to sailing. This could, at best, mean work continuing during the sailing (as infamously happened to QE2 in 1994) or, at worst, the cruises/crossings immediately following being cancelled. Whilst one might get money refunded etc, this doesn't compensate for the disappointment. Far better to wait and book a voyage a few weeks/months after it is all over, IMHO.

Best wishes to you :)

I don't expect the crossing following the refit to be completely cancelled. Odds are, some other ship is due to get that drydock space as soon as QM2 is out of the way. But individual cabins that aren't done on time could lead to some cancellations, or at the least reshuffling of accommodation. And the ongoing work will cause some noise, mess to get around in the hallway. For me, the worst is the stink of the carpet glue. That is never confined to the area where it's used.

My parents were on the last cruise (Canada, IIRC) before the TA before the infamous 1994 QE2 refit. On very short notice, their cruise was shortened by a day or two and the TA was moved up so that the ship could get to the dry dock sooner. And even with a few extra days, the work didn't get done on time.

I met a couple who were on the "crossing from hell." Talk about unlucky travelers! They were on QE2 when she ran aground off Nantucket (or the Vineyard?). They were compensated--maybe a free cruise or maybe 50% off their next cruise. They used that "compensatoin" to book a TA. Yes, THAT TA. They were compensated again, and had used that second discount to book the cruise where I met them. Fortunately for everyone, the string of bad luck ended and we had a smooth cruise.

A couple of years ago while on board the Grand Princess they wanted to replace the carpet in my mini suite while I was ashore (Caribbean). I'm not one of those who disembarks in the morning and spends the whole day at the beach so I declined because they would need the cabin for a minimum of several hours. I could return and find they were not finished but I was more concerned about the odors from new carpeting and any glues used.

I wonder what other areas of the ship (that we don't see) will be subject to changes. Would you let us know?

And yes, some of the changes will not be silent, but they won't be noisy either, and as a whole it will probably just not be as comfortable as we know it from the past.

Don't forget that most of the ship will be newly decorated and, in order not to disturb passengers, there will be instructions to keep inconveniences to a minimum.

Hi Cats. Regarding what we won't see: I have no inside information (pardon the pun), but it's a fair guess that not many passengers will see extensive changes made to plumbing, electrical or air conditioning as a result of the added cabins. (Deck 13 on down - that's a lot of piping/wiring!)

During dry dock, I understand inspections will be conducted in the working areas, including the bowels of the ship, with repairs and upgrades made as warranted. Someone with expertise in that area will no doubt have more information to offer but I'm fairly confident that there are many things that aren't headlined during the refit - unfortunately for those of us who like to see how the sausage is made :)

Cheers,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Please forgive me if I'm the last to notice this, but I'm pleased to learn that tea and coffee makers will be added to all QM2 cabins during the up-coming refit :)

"...Cunard, which found inspiration not only in Queen Mary, but also in its guests, announced that in conjuncture with the remastering of all of its staterooms and suites, it will also introduce tea and coffee makers in each cabin." - copied from http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cunard-announces-new-details-on-remastering-of-queen-mary-2-and-queen-victoria-at-seatrade-cruise-global-300236881.html

Salacia

Please forgive me if I'm the last to notice this, but I'm pleased to learn that tea and coffee makers will be added to all QM2 cabins during the up-coming refit :)

"...Cunard, which found inspiration not only in Queen Mary, but also in its guests, announced that in conjuncture with the remastering of all of its staterooms and suites, it will also introduce tea and coffee makers in each cabin." - copied from http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cunard-announces-new-details-on-remastering-of-queen-mary-2-and-queen-victoria-at-seatrade-cruise-global-300236881.html

Salacia

I think this is a good idea, most of the hotels offer it as well.

Thank you for sharing the information, Salacia!

I think this is a good idea, most of the hotels offer it as well.

Thank you for sharing the information, Salacia!

You're welcome, Cats. BTW, according to the following report, tea/coffee makers will be in all cabins, fleet wide:"... Southampton-based luxury cruise company Cunard have revealed plans for investment in their Queen Victoria ship. – and introduce tea and coffee making facilities in all their fleet’s cabins..." - copied from http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/shipping/14347911.Cunard_reveals_plans_for_investment_in_Queen_Victoria_ship/

Personally, I think the tea and coffee trays will just take up valuable space.

Space will be made from where the TV was. I believe they will all be wall mounted across from the bed like on QE.

Salacia

Excellent news! At last!

Personally, I think the tea and coffee trays will just take up valuable space.

If it was in my way I would put the tray somewhere. Surely there is a little space in the wardrobe or under the bed. I'm sure the cabin steward(ess) would take it away if there was absolutely nowhere to put it.

In answer to complaints about the lack of tea-making facilities, Cunard has previously said that great hotels expect you to request tea or coffee from room service. We were not impressed with tea from room service the rare time we ordered it on the QM2. By the time the once boiling water got to us, what was in the thermos was not hot enough to make a decent "cuppa." It would have been better if they actually made tea, i.e. putting the tea-bags into a tea-pot and adding boiling water, prior to delivering it.

I hope there will be a kettle so we can boil the water as opposed to expecting us to make tea in those dreadful coffee makers.