New to IPhone what do I need to know?

rtlk

I got a new IPhone:D. Its my first smart phone and would like some advise on how to economize while on board the Crown Princess in a couple of weeks. The phone has soo many options and switches I really feel I could make a mistake without some guidance.

Thanks for the help:)

Edited by rtlk

I got a new IPhone:D. Its my first smart phone and would like some advise on how to economize while on board the Crown Princess in a couple of weeks. The phone has soo many options and switches I really feel I could make a mistake without some guidance.

Thanks for the help:)

My solution, turn it off. Or at least onto airplane mode:

Settings

Airplane Mode

There will be lots of people on your cruise that will be happy to give you a pointer or two. Best advice is to keep it in airplane mode. Depending on your carrier and where you are going, you may not "need" your phone from the time you leave until you return (except to check on emails, texts, iMessages, etc from a data plan).

I go the 'overkill' route. Airplane mode engaged. Turning off cellular data and data roaming. (Find them under Settings-Cellular.) It's then stored in the safe, powered down.

Data roaming is always off to save battery and mb.

I got a new IPhone:D. Its my first smart phone and would like some advise on how to economize while on board the Crown Princess in a couple of weeks.

Simplest strategy is to turn on Airplane Mode (which disables all the radios on the iPhone). Then turn WiFi back on if you want to connect to the ship or land-based WiFi network. This is easy to test before you leave home, see what works and what doesn't work.

If you want to use the iPhone for calling, text or email it gets more complicated -- but still do-able. Others will have advice for you here.

I use Airplane Mode with WiFi turned back on. And I then also use my iPhone for playing music, audio books, podcasts and best of all -- a camera.

I agree with SadieN. Turn off cellular data and wifi, and data roaming should be turned off, in fact my data roaming is off all the time as I can see no reason to have it on. If you ever do any updates on your phone check again to make sure data roaming is still off as Apple can switch it back on again without you realising. If I want to use wifi I turn it back on when I am near a free wifi spot off the ship. Make sure you turn it back off again when you get back on the ship as it will eat up your battery looking for wifi.

If you have bought a wifi package then just turn the wifi on when you need it but nothing else. This way you can still receive texts at all times. Texts are much cheaper to send and receive than buying an internet package if you just want to keep in touch with family and friends.

Most ports have free wifi and many cafes provide free wifi.

You can get an app from the app store which will tell you how to get the most out of your new toy, depends which phone you have, just search within the store. It is a little daunting at first, especially backing up to iTunes, but once you get the hang of it you will love it and wonder how you did without it. Remember that Google is your friend for finding out how to use it too.

I tried to learn one new thing a day with mine and that worked a treat.

Google "iphone tutorial" on your computer, they have some videos there that help'd me a lot. not for the use on the ship, but if you place it in airplane mode, you won't incur any charges and can still use it for all but internet.

Edited by bigchid

This is a free app at the apple store, search for it under "princess cruises" and it will show up as"princess@sea". Download it to your phone and have all the info below at your fingertips for free, your phone can remain in airplane mode. Note:it won't work until onboard.

Welcome to Princess@Sea - Our complimentary onboard web service offering quick and convenient access to valuable information directly on your mobile device. Plan your day's events and activities, review the ship's itinerary and port guides, browse restaurant menus, even access your stateroom account! Plus, on select ships Princess@Sea Messenger allows you to send text messages to other guests onboard!

Getting started with Princess@Sea is easy. Simply connect to the ship’s WIFI once onboard, open the browser on your computer, tablet, mobile phone or other device, and Princess@Sea will be the default page that appears. It even operates in "Airplane Mode". No cellular or data charges required!

Princess@Sea is currently available on Caribbean, Coral, Crown, Dawn, Diamond, Emerald, Golden, Grand, Island, Regal, Royal, Ruby, Sapphire, Star & Sun Princess. The remaining ships in the fleet are scheduled to launch Princess@Sea by the end of 2015.

Events and activities

EVENTS & ACTIVITIES

Princess@Sea is the easiest way to discover all the exciting events and activities onboard. Whether you’re seeking live entertainment, a Movie Under the Stars or even a late night dance party, Princess@Sea can help you find the perfect activity to suit your mood.

Princess Messenger

PRINCESS@SEA MESSENGER

Get ready to instantly connect! Our FREE Princess@Sea Messenger lets you stay in touch and communicate with other guests onboard directly from your mobile device. Whether it's planning drinks after dinner, or just letting your friends know where you are, Princess@Sea Messenger keeps you in the loop. This feature is currently available on all ships where Princess@Sea is available and will be rolled out to the rest of the fleet in the coming months.

Account details

STATEROOM ACCOUNT DETAILS

Keep track of your onboard purchases by logging in to your stateroom account on Princess@Sea. To view your stateroom account, you will need to create a user name and password to protect and verify your identity. Once your account is created, simply login and instantly review your charges.

Itinerary and Port information

ITINERARY & PORT INFORMATION

Princess@Sea places the ship’s itinerary at your fingertips, allowing you to see where you’ve been, where you are and exactly where you’re going with just a simple tap of your device. Plus, learn about what each port has to offer, including outdoor adventures, sightseeing and even shoreside shopping.

Ship venue details

SHIP VENUE DETAILS

Wondering what time the boutiques close? Not sure how to get to The Sanctuary? Or maybe you just want to compare menus without having to visit more than one restaurant. Whether you're seeking location, hours or menus, Princess@Sea allows you to effortlessly find up-to-date information about our onboard venues.

Princess@Sea is currently available on Caribbean, Coral, Crown, Dawn, Diamond, Emerald, Golden, Grand, Island, Regal, Royal, Ruby, Sapphire, Star & Sun Princess. The remaining ships in the fleet are scheduled to launch Princess@Sea by the end of 2015. Princess@Sea Messenger is currently available on all ships where Princess@Sea is available and will be rolled out to the rest of the fleet in the coming months.

Princess at Sea - Instantly Send Messages to Guests Onboard!

Edited by bigchid

The best thing you can do is to call your cell phone provider and do as they tell you to do. You would be much better off relying upon their instructions than upon the instructions you'll get in this thread. Verizon sent me a very nice one page PDF with complete instructions on how to set my phone to avoid charges.

The best thing you can do is to call your cell phone provider and do as they tell you to do. You would be much better off relying upon their instructions than upon the instructions you'll get in this thread. Verizon sent me a very nice one page PDF with complete instructions on how to set my phone to avoid charges.

Very good advice, and it depends on what you want/don't want out of your phone when cruising. Text messages are very inexpensive for us and our son, who is usually back at college when we're cruising these days, knows he can always reach us by text if a situation comes up. It gives us both peace of mind and our carrier helped me understand how to set it up. I've never been charged anything other than 5 cents for any text he sends me and 50 cents for any text I've sent back to him.

Another suggestion is to go to the cell phone company so you"re sure what to do and you can ask questions. It was not revealed as to where they were going or who there cell phone company was. I have T-Mobile with an I-Phone 6 and on a Alaska Cruise on the Golden I couldn't get any Wifi coverage. One merchant told me that only AT&T works in Alaska. It doesn't hurt to ask the phone company about where you're planning to travel and if there is coverage there.

Tom:)

Very good advice, and it depends on what you want/don't want out of your phone when cruising. Text messages are very inexpensive for us and our son, who is usually back at college when we're cruising these days, knows he can always reach us by text if a situation comes up. It gives us both peace of mind and our carrier helped me understand how to set it up. I've never been charged anything other than 5 cents for any text he sends me and 50 cents for any text I've sent back to him.

I would never rely upon the advice of a bunch of anonymous strangers on the internet when one can easily run up a cell phone bill in the hundreds if not thousands while on a cruise ship. Nor would I want to give advice on how to manage a phone when that advice has the potential of being expensively wrong.

The only safe thing for OP to do is to contact his provider and follow their instructions. If he gets bad advice from them, at least then, he can roll back on the provider.

I would never rely upon the advice of a bunch of anonymous strangers on the internet when one can easily run up a cell phone bill in the hundreds if not thousands while on a cruise ship. Nor would I want to give advice on how to manage a phone when that advice has the potential of being expensively wrong.

The only safe thing for OP to do is to contact his provider and follow their instructions. If he gets bad advice from them, at least then, he can roll back on the provider.

I had copied your quote and supported your advice. I gave the example of the text situation we have as an option, which I found about by checking with our carrier. My comment was given as an example of a way you can use your phone, depending on your carrier and how they help you set it up, and it many not be horrendously expensive. I apologize if I was misunderstood.

I just returned from a one to one with an Apple trainer. Here's is the simplest way he explained it:

Turn Airplane Mode ON. Stops you from making calls, but still allows you to use WiFi, text, games (ship internet package required).

Turn OFF Cell Data. You will basically have an iPod with no wifi capabilities. Listen to music, play games that are off line.

Turn off Voice Roaming. You will not be able to make international calls from your carrier's roaming partners.

Hope this helps.

I had copied your quote and supported your advice. I gave the example of the text situation we have as an option, which I found about by checking with our carrier. My comment was given as an example of a way you can use your phone, depending on your carrier and how they help you set it up, and it many not be horrendously expensive. I apologize if I was misunderstood.

My comments were not directed at you.