iOS 9 does not work on RCI

curry767

Just boarded the Radiance and I am unable to log my iOS 9 iPhone 6 into the ship wifi.

The Front Desk advises that an email has been sent from head office advising that iOS 9 has an issue with the type of wifi used on the RCI ships and won't work until Apple releases a fix.

So be warned, don't upgrade if you have an upcoming cruise.

Just boarded the Radiance and I am unable to log my iOS 9 iPhone 6 into the ship wifi.

The Front Desk advises that an email has been sent from head office advising that iOS 9 has an issue with the type of wifi used on the RCI ships and won't work until Apple releases a fix.

So be warned, don't upgrade if you have an upcoming cruise.

I've noticed this many times in hotels as well...rather frustrating. My MacBook works great but cannot connect my iPhone :(

A number of app developers have also reported problems with ios 9. I've received notifications on a few of the apps that I have on my iPad advising not to upgrade until apple fixes the bugs in the new os.

Yep, looks like Apple took a page from the Microsoft handbook on how to upgrade operating systems.

Further to my last, I have now seen an iPad 2 with iOS9 working onboard the Radiance. So it seems to be more a combination of iOS9 and certain devices.

Definitely doesn't work on iPhone 6 as quite a few people have complained to the front desk.

A number of app developers have also reported problems with ios 9. I've received notifications on a few of the apps that I have on my iPad advising not to upgrade until apple fixes the bugs in the new os.

Strange bacause ive been using the beta ios 9 for last 4 months with no problems and now im on public release 9.0 with no problems with multiple apps...how old is your device?Im using ipad air 2 and iphone 6..This is nothing new when a new ios comes out.A lot of times its the app developers that need to make changes to their app not an ios problem specifically.

I'm currently on anthem and using an iOS 9 iPhone just fine - so the newer 'voom' wifi seems ok

On Jewel right now, IOS 9 working fine on iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2.

Phew, I've upgraded my Air 2 twice (including today's release) and I'm on the Anthem on Monday. So hopefully I'll be OK.

Strange bacause ive been using the beta ios 9 for last 4 months with no problems and now im on public release 9.0 with no problems with multiple apps...how old is your device?Im using ipad air 2 and iphone 6..This is nothing new when a new ios comes out.A lot of times its the app developers that need to make changes to their app not an ios problem specifically.

Unfortunately, it isn't "billie joe's jumping frogs" type apps, but two major brokerage houses, and two multinational banks that sent me emails not to upgrade until Apple worked out the kinks in their OS.

Edited by orville99

'IF' I can get some decent wifi whilst ashore in Moorea I will download 9.0.1 tomorrow and let you know.

Just to confirm, nobody with an iPhone 6 that has iOS9.0 onboard the Radiance of the Seas can connect to the ships wifi. I have had no problems with any other wifi connections since moving to iOS9. I can't speak for other ships although the official email from RCI HQ i was shown alluded to a fleet wide problem.

There have be several problems with IOS9 and it's being worked on. Even the GPS TomTom app for iPhone isn't working properly. Guess someone must have been asleep when the beta testing was being done. :eek::rolleyes: Keep everyone informed if there are any updates.

So the iOS 9.0.1 update is not for my iPhone 6 so I don't know if that makes any difference.

I think RCI tech has been doing some updates as I have now been able to log my iPhone 6 into the ships wifi with no changes on my phone. The front desk knows nothing about any changes so I suspect they are doing some remote work. I can't connect 100% of the time, but it's is getting better each day.

Unfortunately, it isn't "billie joe's jumping frogs" type apps, but two major brokerage houses, and two multinational banks that sent me emails not to upgrade until Apple worked out the kinks in their OS.

What they really mean is that they did not upgrade their apps for iOS 9. They should have done that during the Beta period. The developers had access to it since June. Apple is not going to do anything to iOS 9 that will fix their apps. They have to fix them. I have one app that does not work. PBS. They will have to fix their app. I have the new phone the 6 S Plus and only found that one bad app so far. My sister has one app, Xfinity TV remote that keeps crashing.

Edited by Charles4515

• 3 months later...

I am currently on the Independence of the Seas and I am currently unable to log into ship wifi with my iphone running iOS 9.2.

Works fine on my Kindle Fire tablet, but I want to use my phone to access wifi dependent applications on the iphone.

Any suggestions for an iphone user would be appreciated. Guest services can't get it to work either.

Thank you.

When you connect to the "royal-wifi" network on your iPhone, what happens?

If you don't get any error (or a login page), try opening Safari and going to google.com. You may be get redirected to the login page then.