Epic Refurbishment

Single Cruiser

All of the cabins got new carpet and new new mattress. Some/all had some laminated floors replaced with tile. Touch up paint as needed. "Behind the walls" there were some mandatory electrical and hvac updates in all rooms.

In the Haven, they have new very heavy pillow tops in the master bed and a new sofa bed topper in the second bedrooms, some new furniture, new tile, new coffee makers (good bye Lavassa).

We are on the current sailing in a balcony on deck 9 and our cabin does not have new carpets nor were they even cleaned recently.

Our first experience with the Haven was on the Epic. We LOVED it. Last year we were on the Getaway in the Haven and were disappointed. The atmosphere just wasn't the same. I'm sure it was due in part to the staff. We really liked the staff on the Epic - they made you feel special, the Getaway - not so much. The Epic lounge seemed more personal where as the Getaway was just like any bar area. The Courtyard was the same with the exception the Epic has an outdoor eating area with a bar a little off the actual courtyard.

But then it's the Haven - how bad can it actually be! :)

Personal Opinion:

La Cucina looks dramatically better with the updates, and I'll go so far as to call it elegant. :) The former place was a dismal thematic experience with not an inch of Italian 'look/feel' at all (well, minus the printed menu & food).

Le Bisto has served me multiple superb meals, and I'll look forward to dining there several times again next year, but it continues to be really lacking in the department of theme . . . thanks to it being the Park West retail hub of the ship, adorning it with art from countries across the globe . . . and rarely a single work from France. Duh.

Thanks, again, everyone for all these great pictures!! :)

Our first experience with the Haven was on the Epic. We LOVED it. Last year we were on the Getaway in the Haven and were disappointed. The atmosphere just wasn't the same. I'm sure it was due in part to the staff. We really liked the staff on the Epic - they made you feel special, the Getaway - not so much. The Epic lounge seemed more personal where as the Getaway was just like any bar area. The Courtyard was the same with the exception the Epic has an outdoor eating area with a bar a little off the actual courtyard.

But then it's the Haven - how bad can it actually be! :)

Thank you! The Getaway was our first Haven experience. We had an Aft Penthouse & were traveling with family outside of the Haven so we did not spend too much time there. What time we did spend we certainly enjoyed! We are going to stay in the actual Haven proper this time, so I am excited to take advantage of the atmosphere you describe. And I'm not gonna lie...hearing they have an outdoor area with a bar made my day:D

Thanks for posting all these incredible photos. She looks like a new ship!

I like the new La Cucina but I think they should have swapped locations.....Le Bistro where La Cucina is and vice versa. Le Bistro on Epic is so cramped and dark.

The carpet is the same in the suites but they did change the fabric on the chairs. I cant wait to see the Haven lounge. That place was amazing and so over the top I am not sure you could have made it better.

The Haven Club and Courtyard

3b666de9a710fad3bd0faffda3982e25.jpg

ce48c8f919c41806676fab0a81e156f0.jpg

f42946729e438f70398dc28c2360a1f4.jpg

9dc2eca75026061d2f2b786f8b237489.jpg

94bb3a33d444b6c915146e8f25ef3dc8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As one final observation for the evening, as we left the dock in Vigo, Spain, the ship stopped dead in the water. We noted 3 engineers and an officer in a station up in the mast with sighting equipment. We then started a verrrrryyyyy slow rotation. After about 45 min, the Captain came on the PA to say that due to the extensive new metal work done in dry dock, they needed to recalibrate their magnetic compass to back up the newer gyro and gps systems. After another 45 min we got underway.

By this time, we were in Cagney's seated at the aft windows. We felt the ship's props come up to full power with a lot of shaking and rattling in the dining room. Then with an even greater shaking (now with dishes dancing only the tables) we execute an emergency stop (props in full reverse). Dead in the water again for 20 mins.

The restaurant manger said that they were taking advantage of the glassy waters in Vigo bay to run more tests.

You would think captain might have announced it over the PA to prevent panic! :)

As one final observation for the evening, as we left the dock in Vigo, Spain, the ship stopped dead in the water. We noted 3 engineers and an officer in a station up in the mast with sighting equipment. We then started a verrrrryyyyy slow rotation. After about 45 min, the Captain came on the PA to say that due to the extensive new metal work done in dry dock, they needed to recalibrate their magnetic compass to back up the newer gyro and gps systems. After another 45 min we got underway.

By this time, we were in Cagney's seated at the aft windows. We felt the ship's props come up to full power with a lot of shaking and rattling in the dining room. Then with an even greater shaking (now with dishes dancing only the tables) we execute an emergency stop (props in full reverse). Dead in the water again for 20 mins.

The restaurant manger said that they were taking advantage of the glassy waters in Vigo bay to run more tests.

There's footage of it! :D

I would agree. Not even new chairs but new carpet. I think that is it. Here is a pic I took of Le Bistro during the crossing over to Europe in April. I actually prefer the old carpet. It looks more custom designed for the space and less generic.

17412769776_81c2efa271_b.jpg

Agree! Old carpet was brighter, more depth of colour.

Wonder how the first cruise is going after dry dock! Hope priscilla is wowing them really looking forward to that show

Aside from a very small number of people who walked out, the show was very well received. It's a huge, well done production. Burn the floor is excellent, too. You won't see anything like either on another cruise line. I'm eager to see both again someday. I only worry that they won't be well received in Orlando.

Aside from a very small number of people who walked out, the show was very well received. It's a huge, well done production. Burn the floor is excellent, too. You won't see anything like either on another cruise line. I'm eager to see both again someday. I only worry that they won't be well received in Orlando.

They will definitely be loved on the European leg of the season I would imagine. Sounds great!! :) I will be 'dragging' hubby to both on my travels - he doesn't really like shows!

The New Library on Deck 5 behind the art gallery. Well used on a sea day.

9552879c147e9289acd4d59df9f558e3.jpg

a00005dd318252e03361f080ef97961a.jpg

Thank you so much for posting pics of the new Library.

My daughter will be spending some time in there throughout our vacation as she has state exams a few months later (major condition of us going on this particular cruise!!!). We didn't realise that there was no library when we booked and were delighted when we heard it one of the big additions being made by NCL during drydock . Cant wait to sail her.

Thanks again

Hello

Can I ask what makes you say that about the show, I have seen the movie and I know fully what it is about and that the content may not be to every ones taste or liking, But is the stage production not somewhat different and more about the music, the reason that I ask is that NCL must considering it a family show as I am able to reserve tickets for my children when I log into my reservation.

Thanks

... and they did that quite a lot right before the show while sitting in the theater.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

uncensored it is! :) I remember the doing the same for one of the legends on my last cruise.

Hello

Can I ask what makes you say that about the show, I have seen the movie and I know fully what it is about and that the content may not be to every ones taste or liking, But is the stage production not somewhat different and more about the music, the reason that I ask is that NCL must considering it a family show as I am able to reserve tickets for my children when I log into my reservation.

Thanks

There were no children at the show when we saw it. It is not a family show in my view. The language is full on and they stressed this several times.

Ncl usually put a note saying parental guidance if it wasn't family friendly.

There were multiple announcements in English and Spanish that the show was not for kids or those easily offended. There were families with small kids on opening night who stayed.

Can't wait to see it all in person on our January 24th Cruise. What is replacing Nickelodeon for children as our young one is travelling with us?:rolleyes:

it will probably just be a generalised kids program - so probably no characters for photos - maybe the crew will dress up in their onshore outfits like pirates etc.

Look forward to seeing you on the ship - we are on that one too! :)

I could definitely feel the vibration. I had a bit of a free massage in bed when we docked in Barcelona Deck 8 aft balcony on Sunday. The sideways motion seems to have a bit more shimmy than other ships I've been on?

Actually, I'm in the 2nd pic of the library :)

On the shows, I thought Priscilla was done nicely at the first showing. Perhaps not the West End or Broadway nth season run but definitely at least a good traveling show production quality. I'm sure they'll iron out the few kinks and refine some things to keep the flow going better. Amazing assortment of costumes for a cruise ship and good cast. Some people I spoke to about it didn't know what the story was going to be and were quite surprised. A few people in line didn't get the notice about the show not being child friendly.

I haven't caught up on the thread, but I think it bears mentioning that the non-Haven staterooms largely did not have any counter work re-done. Laminate was worn near the sinks and fridge for some of the cabins we went through on the crawl. I only saw the Haven briefly but it seems the stateroom furniture didn't have a lot of refurbishment, either.

Some of the upper floor staterooms now have the smaller one-cup coffee makers while lower ones have the older four cup. If the 5th deck coffee counter/bar had a free self-serve coffee area (which I had read on CruiseCritic), it is no longer there. The barista tried to tell me they do not serve tea but on a later day, I saw another passenger getting tea bags and hot water. They did provide hot water for free if asked.