Epic Refurbishment

Single Cruiser

This mornings disembarkation was the worst I've ever experienced! Walk off was due to start at 8AM. By 9AM the floors were grid-locked with people waiting. People were going down to deck 5 in lifts no room getting off so travelled back up and down. We ended up queuing down stairs lumping suitcases.

We'd cleared immigration onboard the day before so no one could understand why. Until I eventually after half an hour reached the exit. Instead of a flat gangway, it was angled at 45 degrees! And people were sliding, being dragged down by their wheeled cases. Took all my strength to hold the rail with one hand and case in the other without flying down on my backside!

It looks like NCL neglected to tell port authorities passengers getting off as the main terminal was closed as no one was getting on! Apart from workmen on this service gangway!

Have to agree .. It was a poor ending to a superb cruise.. We were told that two of the bridges were out of order in the requested terminal hence the use of the silly steep gangways.. Lady behind me nearly got dragged down by her luggage.

Anyway a pic from the Lisbon arrival.. that was fun..:)

a_zpsyxxisltb.jpg

getting off that ship was an EPIC failure and a huge example of how NOT to serve guests.

We asked twice at guest services to make sure we'd be able to walk off the ship with our luggage in time to make a 9:45 coach departure at the Southampton Coach Terminal..... One gent assured we would be able, if we were comfortable with our luggage. Not quite understanding what was meant by "comfortable with your luggage" we asked again. This gent mentioned a face-to-face interview needed for customs that may slow us down. We were truly confused, but both said by 8:15 we would easily be off the ship.

Without any additional information, we went to deck 6 at 8:00 am to wait for the all clear to walk off with our luggage. It never came. Ever. Crazy the number of guests crammed into those two decks, most with luggage that like us were waiting to walk off. We finally left the ship single-file down that insanely angled metal ramp (thanks for the porter help, NCL....). Sadly, the single file traffic down that one tiny ramp was constantly stopped because the forklifts transporting baggage had to cross over the traffic flowing between the end of the ramp and the building. I kept thinking "really??"

As we were unable to leave the ship when told, we missed the coach we'd booked and had to buy another set of tickets for a train/coach combo because all the later coaches were fully booked. This was a horrible showing for NCL and Southampton, for sure. I was sad for all the first-time NCL cruisers.

getting off that ship was an EPIC failure and a huge example of how NOT to serve guests.

We asked twice at guest services to make sure we'd be able to walk off the ship with our luggage in time to make a 9:45 coach departure at the Southampton Coach Terminal..... One gent assured we would be able, if we were comfortable with our luggage. Not quite understanding what was meant by "comfortable with your luggage" we asked again. This gent mentioned a face-to-face interview needed for customs that may slow us down. We were truly confused, but both said by 8:15 we would easily be off the ship.

Without any additional information, we went to deck 6 at 8:00 am to wait for the all clear to walk off with our luggage. It never came. Ever. Crazy the number of guests crammed into those two decks, most with luggage that like us were waiting to walk off. We finally left the ship single-file down that insanely angled metal ramp (thanks for the porter help, NCL....). Sadly, the single file traffic down that one tiny ramp was constantly stopped because the forklifts transporting baggage had to cross over the traffic flowing between the end of the ramp and the building. I kept thinking "really??"

As we were unable to leave the ship when told, we missed the coach we'd booked and had to buy another set of tickets for a train/coach combo because all the later coaches were fully booked. This was a horrible showing for NCL and Southampton, for sure. I was sad for all the first-time NCL cruisers.

I'm sorry to say but you sound naive at the very least.

Are you seriously telling us you don't understand someone asking you if you are comfortable carrying your own luggage?

If you chose to disembark independently then you must plan.

4,000 ish people disembarking and you expect to "waltz" off the ship?

Single file on the ramp - I've not experienced anything else, anywhere, anytime.

Southampton is a very very bust port with two or three cruise ships in at anyone time. Also, as it is not normally an NCL disembarkation port there would undoubtedly be problems not usually encountered that wouldn't be elsewhere.

Southampton coach station is at the very least a 15 minute walk fom the port without luggage - again, independent travelling needs meticulous planning.

I'm sorry to say but you sound naive at the very least.

Are you seriously telling us you don't understand someone asking you if you are comfortable carrying your own luggage?

If you chose to disembark independently then you must plan.

4,000 ish people disembarking and you expect to "waltz" off the ship?

Single file on the ramp - I've not experienced anything else, anywhere, anytime.

Southampton is a very very bust port with two or three cruise ships in at anyone time. Also, as it is not normally an NCL disembarkation port there would undoubtedly be problems not usually encountered that wouldn't be elsewhere.

Southampton coach station is at the very least a 15 minute walk fom the port without luggage - again, independent travelling needs meticulous planning.

To be fair. I've disembarked at that cruise terminal many times and it has been a constant flow of passenger traffic over a level bridge from around promenade deck into the terminal and then lifts/escalators down into the luggage hall and exits.

My train was 10:15 and knew it's about 15min walk. Easy walk off was advertised as 8-9 with tagged luggage passengers to be called onwards. We had cleared immigration onboard (never ever seen that other than in St Thomas) so NCL must have decided not to pay for that service / knew we weren't exiting "through" the terminal..

What annoyed me more was lack of organisation onboard. People were blocking lifts, not being able to get out on deck 5 and staying in lift so I had to bring my case down the stairs and queued about 0.5hr stood on 2 flights of stairs only to find at deck 5 others cutting in and no organisation..

Any other cruise I've been on at that terminal leaving at 8 you'd feel at the station 8:30 latest. Luckily I got to the station in time for my train..

Edited by Single Cruiser

Meanwhile, back on the subject of "Epic Refurbishment"............

Any spa refurbishments slated? Reason I ask is purely selfish..... I snagged that sweet Spa Mini-Suite 14118 with the triple wide balcony for the TA in 04/17. I want to make sure I'm still getting that bowling-capable balcony! I hope they don't have plans to bump out the spa in that section!

Greg

Meanwhile, back on the subject of "Epic Refurbishment"............

Any spa refurbishments slated? Reason I ask is purely selfish..... I snagged that sweet Spa Mini-Suite 14118 with the triple wide balcony for the TA in 04/17. I want to make sure I'm still getting that bowling-capable balcony! I hope they don't have plans to bump out the spa in that section!

Greg

I think you're safe, I am not sure what part of the spa sits there (the sauna/steam room is a bit further aft?). With the design I think it was meant to have cabins there which did not worked well with life boat capacity, emergency exit route capacity or something like that.

I am curious how they will do the bar at the entrance of Cagneys. Perhaps closing the floor/ceiling on the Cascade Bar the deck below?

Thank you so much for this update. The Epic is ready for refurbish already??? :eek: I swear it seems like it was just last year that I sailed her when she was just built. I have such a love for this ship. To date, she remains my favorite so far. So unique and great memories. I was crushed when they took her away from the US and I felt like I would never get to sail her again. I'm so happy she's coming back. I WILL be back on her again. :p

I would love to sail Epic again. I am sad to hear about the tree removal from La Cucina. That restaurant has the best atmosphere of any cruise ship. Its romantic and rustic and has the best sea views. That tree is so freaking cool.

I agree. We loved the tree and the entrance. I have many pictures posed in that area. It was so cool! I can't believe they are removing it.

Water mini golf.

Sounds kid enough to me. ;)

edit; Splashgolf; http://www.adventureandfun.com/194/splashgolf-water-mini-golf

I just can't picture this. I know they have to remove the Nickelodeon stuff, but a water golf area? I can't even see how this is going to work. There will be little kids (and even big kids) wanting to be in the area getting wet and playing. How will people actually wanting to play the "game" be able to do so? Then if you are not playing the game, there's no places for the younger kids to play in the water? So confused. :confused:

I hope they are still going to have some type of nice photo area with the face recognition to get your pictures. It was an awesome area compared to any other ships having to dig and search for your pictures.

We always have a blast at the bowling alley on the ships. It makes for some good drunk bowling whether you have had a few or not. :p The bowling alley on the epic sure beats the mini bowling on BA or GA. Blah. It may be something some feel are from days gone by, but I feel the same way about the game rooms. I always think..."This was a big thing in the 80's, why do they still have them?" I hardly ever see anyone in there.

I can't wait to go on her again.

Thank you so much for this update. The Epic is ready for refurbish already??? :eek: I swear it seems like it was just last year that I sailed her when she was just built. I have such a love for this ship. To date, she remains my favorite so far. So unique and great memories. I was crushed when they took her away from the US and I felt like I would never get to sail her again. I'm so happy she's coming back. I WILL be back on her again. :p

I agree. We loved the tree and the entrance. I have many pictures posed in that area. It was so cool! I can't believe they are removing it.

I just can't picture this. I know they have to remove the Nickelodeon stuff, but a water golf area? I can't even see how this is going to work. There will be little kids (and even big kids) wanting to be in the area getting wet and playing. How will people actually wanting to play the "game" be able to do so? Then if you are not playing the game, there's no places for the younger kids to play in the water? So confused. :confused:

I hope they are still going to have some type of nice photo area with the face recognition to get your pictures. It was an awesome area compared to any other ships having to dig and search for your pictures.

We always have a blast at the bowling alley on the ships. It makes for some good drunk bowling whether you have had a few or not. :p The bowling alley on the epic sure beats the mini bowling on BA or GA. Blah. It may be something some feel are from days gone by, but I feel the same way about the game rooms. I always think..."This was a big thing in the 80's, why do they still have them?" I hardly ever see anyone in there.

I can't wait to go on her again.

It's only the unused Bliss lanes going. The three at O'Sheehans remain.

I think you're safe, I am not sure what part of the spa sits there (the sauna/steam room is a bit further aft?). With the design I think it was meant to have cabins there which did not worked well with life boat capacity, emergency exit route capacity or something like that.

I am curious how they will do the bar at the entrance of Cagneys. Perhaps closing the floor/ceiling on the Cascade Bar the deck below?

It wouldn't be outside the venues but like on BA and GA in the centre of the two venues where the current Moderno salad bar is.

y

Me too! Wanted to host our 10th wedding anniversary party there in Feb! Have to wait for the post refurb pics to decide where to host it.

Delighted to read about the Epic refurbishment as I am booked to join on

Feb 3rd. Makes a nice change to get on a ship a few months after a refurb, sailed on HAL Oosterdam TA a number of years ago, it was the last sailing before a major refurb, we were delayed about 5 hours in FL while tons & tons of materials were loaded.

I have heard that the Studio cabins do not have a mini fridge, does any know if this will change after the refurbishment? If not is it possible to request one? can it be done on-board or should it be done beforehand? Thank you.

I wouldn't know where you'd put one even if they did provide one! There is very little room for a mini fridge!