Epic Refurbishment

Single Cruiser

Hi Craig!

Thanks for the update. I figured something was going to give under the hood for her to be extended in dry dock but TWO engine failures? Wow!! I can't say I'm surprised with where she was delivered from and how she almost didn't make it out in one piece!

I'll be eager to see the modifications to the Italian restaurant. I'm sure seating will be placed there instead and the openings to the buffet above closed over. The new mini golf seems intriguing and worth a check as well!

Best news you provided wasn't even in this update but in ones further down... the theater closed early to get ready for Priscilla's BUS! Woohoo! Now that's going to be some smashing good entertainment! :D I can't wait!

Yep. Very interesting conversation with one of the engineering officers. Especially on pros/cons of azipods. $10K per tug to be pushed in/pulled out at some ports. That Epic has a 6mile turning curve without passengers noting a tilt and that they were down to 3 engines. One is out for routine and two dead hence the restricted top speed about 19knots at the moment.

Yep. Very interesting conversation with one of the engineering officers. Especially on pros/cons of azipods. $10K per tug to be pushed in/pulled out at some ports. That Epic has a 6mile turning curve without passengers noting a tilt and that they were down to 3 engines. One is out for routine and two dead hence the restricted top speed about 19knots at the moment.

The only problem with Azipods is they constantly show wear at unexpected times. While the design element has changed quite a bit, 6 miles seems crazy. No wonder they made sure you couldn't see the ocean on the Epic because if she had to come about to find you after you went drunken overboard then you'd be fish food! :eek:

I hope she's ship shape post dry dock and they shake her down all well and good for the holiday runs! :)

I'm sure you're still making good time on her anyway! Enjoy the rest of your trip! :)

Is Paul McCartney playing guitar left handed? Alan pointed out our lot the one playing him was playing his guitar right handed and Paul's a lefty lol. But no these were out of tune and didn't even attempt a Liverpool accent

Lol, how funny!! My hubby noticed that Paul was definitely playing guitar left-handed....just as he SHOULD have been doing!

And the Liverpool accents on our guys were ace!

Thanks for the update. I figured something was going to give under the hood for her to be extended in dry dock but TWO engine failures? Wow!! I can't say I'm surprised with where she was delivered from and how she almost didn't make it out in one piece!

Epic has been having problems with her DGs since before her delivery in 2010. One of the units they are replacing hasn't been operational for many years. And, yes, a lot of it has to do with STX's passive-aggressive attitude towards NCL and the various contractual disputes surrounding Project F3. Extremely poor handling of materials and installation.

Believe it or not, Epic was originally designed to have pods. The decision to switch to conventional shafts and rudders was made by past executives who strongly believed that it was a safer bet. Of course, it’s a decision that NCL has been regretting ever since. At least Epic will be getting some new thrusters in this dry dock as well. Epic's maneuverability in port leaves much to be desired, so hopefully this will help her a bit.

The Italian restaurant is being replaced with a new one.

The bowling alley in bliss was hardly ever used plus they have another 3 lanes in O'Sheehans which are rarely full.

They are adding a library which was a frequent ask from passengers for a quiet place to read / play cards etc. Rather than side of Maltings.

They are making Moderno bigger. The large side bar is often use, making a central one and relocating the salad bar and adding more tables.

Replacing carpets.

Redoing the theatre stage.

But as the hotel director said the main things are those below decks. Cutting a hole in the side and swapping two bus size engines is no mean feat.

Adding a bar in fat cats in the corner where the current servers go to a hidden back bar will make more use.

He was mentioning the thousands of workers involved. Simple things like cleaning the elements of that massive chandelier.

Big changes are normally for those 20yr old ships. This is Epics first regular check. Scrapping barnacles, painting hull etc.

As I said earlier they have already started some areas as 3 weeks isn't enough time.

They have already delayed the first cruise after the dry dock by 1 day. We are on this cruise and it has been changed from a 7 night to 6 night. I hope they will not still be working during the cruise. It does seem like a lot of work for 3 weeks.

I would imagine del Rio realised he could squeeze a few more tables in if the tree goes! Lol

Ouch! But you are so right. Why in the world would you remove such a cool thing but to fit 2 more tables inside the restaurant. I take that back. Del Rio will have all the tables 4 inches apart and fit 20 more tables inside the restaurant :eek:

The only problem with Azipods is they constantly show wear at unexpected times. While the design element has changed quite a bit, 6 miles seems crazy. No wonder they made sure you couldn't see the ocean on the Epic because if she had to come about to find you after you went drunken overboard then you'd be fish food! :eek:

I hope she's ship shape post dry dock and they shake her down all well and good for the holiday runs! :)

I'm sure you're still making good time on her anyway! Enjoy the rest of your trip! :)

The Epic doesn't have azipods,,,, does it?

So is anything being added? Based on the list I read that bowling is gone, unique dining venue is gone and kid's water play area is gone. How is this an improvement or upgrade?

I know Single Cruiser already answered this very well, but I wanted to add a bit more from my discussions with the Hotel Director and various bartenders from when I was on the Epic at the end of August. Although the bowing alley in Bliss is going, the new design of the bars should be a lot better for the "flow" of getting drinks to customers in a much more timely manner.

Of course, the Hotel Director was brand new and had boarded the ship the same day I did, and I talked to him on his first full day on the ship while he was still getting used to things, so this may not be set in stone, but getting drinks to customers in a more timely manner seems like an improvement to me. :p

He told all of us at our Meet and Greet to get pictures of Bliss (where the Meet and Greet was held) for posterity because it was going to change quite a bit and we'd have a piece of history.

I would love to sail Epic again. I am sad to hear about the tree removal from La Cucina. That restaurant has the best atmosphere of any cruise ship. Its romantic and rustic and has the best sea views. That tree is so freaking cool.

I love the tree, too. And the fact that you descend the staircase to enter the restaurant. It was very dramatic. That said, all the other changes sound very exciting. Bowling at sea seems to have passed, as a trend. Maybe they will eliminate the Alice in Wonderland Bordello theme at Bliss. I would like that.

I will do a full report, as I'm on the ill-fated October 11--nope--October 18--nope--October 19 sailing from Southampton to Barcelona. :cool:

I love the tree, too. And the fact that you descend the staircase to enter the restaurant. It was very dramatic. That said, all the other changes sound very exciting. Bowling at sea seems to have passed, as a trend. Maybe they will eliminate the Alice in Wonderland Bordello theme at Bliss. I would like that.

I will do a full report, as I'm on the ill-fated October 11--nope--October 18--nope--October 19 sailing from Southampton to Barcelona. :cool:

I'll be keeping an eye out for your report, as we fly to Barcelona on the 22nd of Oct to sail on the Epic Oct 25th.