possible issues with Anthem and Bermuda?

im hearing Bermuda doesnt wanna Dredge for Anthem as it may damage sea life. anyone else hearing this?. what could happen if Anthem doesnt go to Bermuda? can she be switched with a Freedom Class? im booked on a 9 night Bermuda + Caribbean cruise.

Liberty can certainly do that itinerary, as she is doing it now. However I don't believe Liberty has the passenger capacity of Anthem, so there would be some major changes if they had to substitute Liberty.

Didn't Quantum sail to Bermuda? Both ships should have the same draft, with no additional dredging needed for Anthem.

Royal decided Quantum could not safely negotiate the channel, and that's one of the reasons she went to China and Liberty is in Bayonne now. Quantum is longer than Liberty, so that might another issue with negotiating the channel.

Quantum went to China bc Bermuda wasnt dredged for her

Huh? Where do you get this stuff? The dredging issue in Bermuda has to do with bringing in larger cruise ships to St George in the future. As with anything that has environmental impact, there are people opposing it even though RCI is offering to help fund it. This has nothing to do with Kings Wharf or next year's Anthem sailings.

I don't think RCI would make scheduling for Anthem - Bermuda if there were some issues for a such large ship to sail to Bermuda.

What anyone "thinks" (and that includes me) is meaningless. Does anyone have a link to an article or news clip that says that dredging is required before next spring in order for the Anthem to call on Kings Wharf???? Not articles that talk about calling on other areas of Bermuda.

I just want to add to the mix of opinions about the dredging.we were in Bermuda in may of this year, and while in St.Georges,shop keepers are all for the widening and dredging the cut and the old terminal area, but from what they told us there is big bucks enviormentalists lobbying against it.Bermuda.Big Bucks. Big Banks:confused:

I don't know about it being the dredging problem that she went to china.

It was published before she was even out of the builders yard hat that is where she will be sailing from. The new Ovation of the seas is also going to be sailing out of China too, with trips to Australia and New Zealand and back to China.

hi everybody. I just looked up the drafts of 4 ships.anthem should have no problem visiting Bermuda.Explorer of the seas,29 feet.Liberty of the seas,28 feet.Norwegian Breakaway, 29 feet.Anthem Of The Seas,29 feet.Kings Wharf should handle it nicely.:cool:

hi everybody. I just looked up the drafts of 4 ships.anthem should have no problem visiting Bermuda.Explorer of the seas,29 feet.Liberty of the seas,28 feet.Norwegian Breakaway, 29 feet.Anthem Of The Seas,29 feet.Kings Wharf should handle it nicely.:cool:

If you look at this link provided by mbjboyle:

http://www.channelstudy.info/

You will see that the ship's draft is not the only issue. They want to widen the channel and make some of the turns less sharp too.

Edited by clarea

If you look at this link provided by mbjboyle:

http://www.channelstudy.info/

You will see that the ship's draft is not the only issue. They want to widen the channel and make some of the turns less sharp too.

All of which has nothing to do with the Anthem's ability to call on Kings Wharf in 2016. This entire thread reads like "I need something relating to Royal Caribbean to get upset about."

All of which has nothing to do with the Anthem's ability to call on Kings Wharf in 2016. This entire thread reads like "I need something relating to Royal Caribbean to get upset about."

You have ZERO clue and clearly have not sailed to Bermuda.

Edited by CaribSailor

I only see one person getting upset in this thread.

Agreed...

Huh? Where do you get this stuff? The dredging issue in Bermuda has to do with bringing in larger cruise ships to St George in the future. As with anything that has environmental impact, there are people opposing it even though RCI is offering to help fund it. This has nothing to do with Kings Wharf or next year's Anthem sailings.

I don't have direct links, but it has been reported multiple times that Anthem cannot fit into Kings Wharf unless dredging takes place.

And yes, the underlying reason Quantum went to China was because Bermuda was not going to be ready for her. I don't usually say things like this, but...You're definitely wrong on this one...

"...The Government is looking at ways to upgrade Bermuda's shipping channels to allow the newer, larger class of cruise ships to enter Dockyard."

"...the new generation of cruise ships, such as the Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines' Quantum class are wider, deeper and longer than the older vessels and they require deeper and wider approach channels with smoother turns."

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I only see one person getting upset in this thread.

You call it as I see it. Logical reasons have been given to why the Quantum class has yet to call on Bermuda. Great reasons to why I would not be comfortable sailing in on Anthem, Ovation or Quantum without the channel being dredged and widened.

I think NCL losing power with their ship a few months ago in the channel, and running aground, helps to prove how little room for error there is.

So, you're saying there is no problem with the Anthem navigating the north channel to get to Dockyard? You might want to recheck your "facts".

im hearing Bermuda doesnt wanna Dredge for Anthem as it may damage sea life. anyone else hearing this?. what could happen if Anthem doesnt go to Bermuda? can she be switched with a Freedom Class? im booked on a 9 night Bermuda + Caribbean cruise.

that would be great.They can also sent anthem to China,goodbye and don't come back.That would be a real WOW.:)

Agreed...

I don't have direct links, but it has been reported multiple times that Anthem cannot fit into Kings Wharf unless dredging takes place.

And yes, the underlying reason Quantum went to China was because Bermuda was not going to be ready for her. I don't usually say things like this, but...You're definitely wrong on this one...[/b]

Of course you don't have links. This is going to be my last post on CC for a while as clearly there is no place here for people who have facts as opposed to those who like to say "I heard" or even worse communicate their opinions as if they are facts. But first to finish up here...I had a private dinner with Mr Fain in November on the Quantum and we talked about why the Quantum was going to China. And it was most definitely not because of Bermuda. In fact, he promised at that time that Anthem would be picking up Explorer/Liberty summer ports in 2016. Second here is a quote (typos and all) from a Deployment VP at Royal Caribbean received within the last hour regarding this ridiculous thread.

"there is no truth to this perception as it relates to King Wharf. The Anthem is completely cleared to arrive at King's Wharf without complications on both the 9-night and 5-night itineraries.

St. George is a completely different topic and it is possible that the dredging comments on the Bermuda sight reflect that situation. Not an issue for us as we only stop in King's Wharf."

You guys are losing a great resource here...but I'm pretty sure no one cares.

Edited by Fortypluscruiser
left out quote marks