The more you spend the more C&A Points?

Agree with you 100%. Life is not a pissing match and in this case we are talking about vacation.

Agreed ITS VACATION PEOPLE! Every person on that ship has at least a couple things in common, 1) we all paid a considerable amount of money to be there, 2) we did so in anticipation of having a better than average experience. I will never know why so many feel the need to compare and contrast their situation with the next to them. I find the pool bars to be the great equalizer swim trunks and over priced drinks for everybody! Lol. If I'm not eating sleeping or gambling you can find me at the sky bar:beer::cool:

Edited by kike368

This thread has been very fun to read.

A lot of different view points expressed.

Now mine.

We were able to just become Diamond after our last Oasis cruise, because sailing on RCI we make the most of our vacations by only sailing in suites.

I have read so many times once you sail in a suite you wont be able to go back......I have to agree.

Sea Ya

I've been in suites on Carnival, Royal Caribbean and NCL. And I still prefer regular balcony cabins. Why should I spend $4,000 + for one week when I can spend $2,000 and get the same enjoyment.

I've been in suites on Carnival, Royal Caribbean and NCL. And I still prefer regular balcony cabins. Why should I spend $4,000 + for one week when I can spend $2,000 and get the same enjoyment.

I am with you.

Some do get enjoyment/value for a suite and I am grateful there is a cabin category for them, just as for the inside cruiser.

I spend very little of my time in cabin other than sleeping, cleaning up, changing clothes. We even now spend less time on our balcony and thus are rethinking them for the cost/value difference.

I hope they will have a big enough venue to accomadate those who move up the ranks quickly.

Sea Ya

That is one of the problems with the system Royal Caribbean has created. There are certain cruises that are very popular with D+ & Pinnacle tiers (I'm D+) and the Royal knows it. Sometimes the "lounge" gets changed to a different venue that can handle the crowd. Otherwise the lounge is crowded and is of no use to me.

An overly crowded lounge is not my idea of fun. Nor do I want to get there one hour early just so I can get a seat that I can never leave because someone else will take it.

I would rather mingle with the peasants in an uncrowded area than with Royalty in a crowded area. People are people. Lose the crown & robes and all the different groups of people are more or less the same.

I have no need for more than three drinks per night. Even when they are free I rarely take more than two.

Carnival does not not have a concierge. The concierge on the Freedom of the Sea in late June 2007 was less helpful than than any of the room attendants I've had on any cruise line. NCL does not have a suite lounge. However, the concierge on the NCL Jade in early February 2008 was extremely helpful. As far as how one is treated, I'll take an NCL suite over a Royal Caribbean suite based on past experience.

My last 19 cruises has consisted of 16 balconies or ocean views and three mini or junior suites. Admittedly my next two cruises will be in full suites (so once again I'll be able to compare the concierge on Royal Caribbean to the concierge on NCL). I don't have any cruises planned beyond December 2016 yet. Most likely I'll be going back to regular balconies. Though I do want to try out the suite life on Princess some day.

A wife is different than a child, she makes contributions to the marriage/partnership.

Children do also. People who fly for business also earn points and status without having to pay for them. It just depends on how the system is set up.

Edited by Cuizer2

Isn't it the same thing when booking a suite? A lot of people book a suite for the sole purpose of doubling their C&A points.

It depends on your definition of a "suite". If you include mini or junior suites, then yes. But a true suite (grand and up) cost twice (or more) as a regular cabin, and thus the a person in a full suite is paying more per point than someone in a regular cabin.

I suspect that most people purchase a full suite because:

1) They need the extra room.

2) They have some much money that the extra cost is no big deal and they want the perks.

3) They are celebrating something special and believe a suite will make it even more special.

But to pay $6,000 for a week just to get fourteen points instead of $2,000 for the same week and seven points makes no sense when they could go for two weeks for $4,000 and get the same fourteen points and save $2,000.

I would rather mingle with the peasants in an uncrowded area than with Royalty in a crowded area. People are people. Lose the crown & robes and all the different groups of people are more or less the same.

Exactly which is why I am usually at the sky bar!

Haha. We look pretty young for our age. My wife still gets carded.

You say you look young for 40. Ok. What 38, maybe 35 maybe 32? Don't kid yourself. My daughter is 22 and is Diamond Plus. In her own right, having done the sailings herself. Did she pay for them no, but she sailed them.

So when she goes into the CL or Diamond lounge do you think people look at her and think, why is she in here. No actually they don't. Most people are enjoying their cruise and not involved in evaluating who belongs or does not belong in the lounges.

Weird that you do though. Being forty and all, lol.

Oh and I still get carded, fairly often and I am older than you. Guess I must look YOUNG!!!

Edited by Zou Bisou Bisou

It's all about what makes you happy.

Enjoy

Sea Ya

Well this thread gets interesting as it goes along.

I find the initial idea of extra points if you spend $450 per person on board intriguing and in our case it would probably work to RCI's advantage. There are some sailings in which we don't spend anywhere close to that, but plenty others when we get probably 3/4 of the way there--usually when my husband gets a drink package and I have a massage. On those sailings in which we were already spending at least half what is needed, I probably would decide to treat ourselves to a few more meals or another massage to bump up and get those points we well.

And back to the track the thread is now on:

We've had two cruises with one obnoxious, loud, made sure everyone knew how important they were Pinnacle. hat is two people out of hundreds, or probably thousands. I figure they would be jerks about something else if they didn't have status to be jerks abut and shrug them off.

And, hmm, yeah I have to wonder what is going on with Caribsailor that they have had so many bad encounters with "lounge police" and the like.

We are in our young 40s and have not had that happen yet, nor have my teens ever felt unwelcome in daytime hours whether with us not. Sometimes people ask what our status is or how many sailings we have been on, but it always just seems like a friendly ice breaker, not some judgmental fishing (maybe this is the issue? Maybe Caribsailor is interpreting nice questions as rude due to some preconceived idea of how he will be treated?).

You say you look young for 40. Ok. What 38, maybe 35 maybe 32? Don't kid yourself. My daughter is 22 and is Diamond Plus. In her own right, having done the sailings herself. Did she pay for them no, but she sailed them.

So when she goes into the CL or Diamond lounge do you think people look at her and think, why is she in here. No actually they don't. Most people are enjoying their cruise and not involved in evaluating who belongs or does not belong in the lounges.

Weird that you do though. Being forty and all, lol.

Oh and I still get carded, fairly often and I am older than you. Guess I must look YOUNG!!!

A little late to the party there sunshine.

Well this thread gets interesting as it goes along.

I find the initial idea of extra points if you spend $450 per person on board intriguing and in our case it would probably work to RCI's advantage. There are some sailings in which we don't spend anywhere close to that, but plenty others when we get probably 3/4 of the way there--usually when my husband gets a drink package and I have a massage. On those sailings in which we were already spending at least half what is needed, I probably would decide to treat ourselves to a few more meals or another massage to bump up and get those points we well.

And back to the track the thread is now on:

We've had two cruises with one obnoxious, loud, made sure everyone knew how important they were Pinnacle. hat is two people out of hundreds, or probably thousands. I figure they would be jerks about something else if they didn't have status to be jerks abut and shrug them off.

And, hmm, yeah I have to wonder what is going on with Caribsailor that they have had so many bad encounters with "lounge police" and the like.

We are in our young 40s and have not had that happen yet, nor have my teens ever felt unwelcome in daytime hours whether with us not. Sometimes people ask what our status is or how many sailings we have been on, but it always just seems like a friendly ice breaker, not some judgmental fishing (maybe this is the issue? Maybe Caribsailor is interpreting nice questions as rude due to some preconceived idea of how he will be treated?).

Nice try [emoji6][emoji108]🏼

I'm 31, look 23, and feel 18.

Suck it, old people! (That's sarcasm for you really old people.)

People think we are much younger all the time.. Maybe it's because we lead a very healthy lifestyle, don't drink like fish, eat like pigs or sit on the couch and watch tv for 10 hours a day. We are very active. Most people and I'm sure the ones commenting that there is no way we can look that young probably look 10-15 years older than they really are due to being fat and lazy [emoji13] and smoked for years - bet you regret all of that now don't you??? And to the poster who said his 22 year old doesn't get looks in the lounge is probably because she is with her parents[emoji108]

Edited by CaribSailor

Unless something dramatically changes, having onboard spending help accrue more points won't be beneficial to us.

For us we would rather use that $450 per person amount towards another cruise, even if it was just a weekender (since we live near Fort Lauderdale and Miami) and get more value (for us) from our money while adding to our cruise point total.....we don't cruise for the points, we cruise because we love 'the cruise'.

One point per $300 per day. You're correct, points can add up fast. With them, you need 200 points to get any significant benefits.

Sorry, that is no great deal for me: per day of spending per person. Ridiculous.

I don't know what some of you are spending per day....but even costly excursions, don't usually cost close to $300 per person. I know from my friends that have done European cruises that those excursions can be much more costly than Caribbean ones.....but still.

Edited by Paulette3028

One point per $300 per day. You're correct, points can add up fast. With them, you need 200 points to get any significant benefits.

So, $300 spread across 7 days doesn't count, but if I spend $300 on day 1 and day 4, that's 2 points? Is this individual spend or cabin spend? Thanks