Hawaiian Cruise

GiGi001

If you've never been to Hawaii, I'd highly suggest you do a land-based vacation, rather than a cruise! There is SO much to see and do in the Islands, that you can't possibly do on short port days....you need several days on each island to really get the "feel" of Hawaii!

I respectfully disagree with the previous poster. Cruising allows you to sample the islands, so if you go back for a land based vacation, you have a good idea of what island you want to spent more time on.

Roz

Luau's are everywhere but we've found that in 5 trips to Hawaii, the best ones are at night, and unless you're in port overnight, or are in a port until midnight, you'll have to find a daytime luau. On Oahu, the Dole Plantation is pretty interesting. The National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, aka Punchbowl Cemetery, is a very lovely place to see.

As far as attractions, the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor is a must. A drive to the North Shore of Oahu is very nice and a place to watch the surfers. Shave ice on the North Shore is a must do.

On Maui, there's the Haleakala Crater and the road to Hana (an interesting drive but it takes many hours)

On the Big Island, there's the Volcano National Park, Mauna Kea Summit, plus there are fishing and kayaking tours.

On Kauai you can see Waimea Canyon and Fern Gully

On all the islands, helicopter tours are HUGE and a really great way to see the beauty of the islands.

Luau's are everywhere but we've found that in 5 trips to Hawaii, the best ones are at night, and unless you're in port overnight, or are in a port until midnight, you'll have to find a daytime luau. On Oahu, the Dole Plantation is pretty interesting. The National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, aka Punchbowl Cemetery, is a very lovely place to see.

As far as attractions, the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor is a must. A drive to the North Shore of Oahu is very nice and a place to watch the surfers. Shave ice on the North Shore is a must do.

On Maui, there's the Haleakala Crater and the road to Hana (an interesting drive but it takes many hours)

On the Big Island, there's the Volcano National Park, Mauna Kea Summit, plus there are fishing and kayaking tours.

On Kauai you can see Waimea Canyon and Fern Gully

On all the islands, helicopter tours are HUGE and a really great way to see the beauty of the islands.

Thank you for your response, this is most helpful. Are there hop and hop off buses? I am travelling with 5 others that are 70 and over?

If we were coming into honolulu and boarding Celebrity would you suggest that we try getting into a luau there or on our next over night?

GG, look up top right of this page for "Search Cruise Critic" feature. Do- Hawaii luaus.Several pages come up. I myself found luau did at Royal Hawaiian overpriced banquet food Better food on Celebrity..Go to your library and get Hawaii books out.Most authors also have web sites.Do research and discussion with yor friends to insure a great cruise.

Your local library will have some guidebooks on Hawaii. Look through them and if any look good to you, you can buy the latest edition on Amazon or other places. Also, google each port and you'll find many tourism sites.

See what interests you.

Whatever you're not able to see due to lack of time, you can always come back either on another cruise or land trip.

We've done the Hawaiian RTs from LA three times and it's my favorite itinerary (the sea days are packed with Hawaiian based activities if you want). I've also been to Hawaii on two land trips so had a chance to hit the major tourism sites then.

If you've never been to Hawaii, I'd highly suggest you do a land-based vacation, rather than a cruise! There is SO much to see and do in the Islands, that you can't possibly do on short port days....you need several days on each island to really get the "feel" of Hawaii!

Ditto.

We spent a week on Oahu, hit some of the major stuff, but we could have easily spent the whole week on the north shore.

A Hawaiian cruise is in our future but spending a week on Maui will happen before we even consider it. That way when we do the cruise we can revisit our favorites on at least two of the islands.

Hawaii is an immersion type of experience, not a day trip type of experience. I think you would have fun on a cruise, but you would be missing something that you never even realized until you did do a land based vacation there. I wish I could describe it, it sounds stupid, but I have been two places in this world that have changed me. Australia and Hawaii. The people there just "get it" in a way the rest of us never really will.

Edited by SheehanDJ
stuff

I respectfully disagree with the previous poster. Cruising allows you to sample the islands, so if you go back for a land based vacation, you have a good idea of what island you want to spent more time on.

Roz

I agree with you. I have lived in 2 counties in my state my whole life. I haven't seen everything there is to see in those 2 counties, let alone the whole state in 50+ years.

We stayed across from Waikiki Beach for 5 days before embarking on the Pride of America. POA sails to 2 ports on the Big Island and overnights on Maui and Kauai. We had the opportunity to see the sights we wanted to see on Oahu and got a good overview of the other islands. The last day of the cruise on Kauai we ended up just relaxing on the beach because sightseeing had become more like a job than a vacation.

What are the must see when cruising Hawaii. Are there Luau that we can go to and is one better than another

Before we went to Hawaii, we studied Frommer's Hawaii book. It gives itineraries for the islands based on how many days you will be there. You would likely be able to find similar information online.

The tourist website is a good source of information:

http://www.gohawaii.com/en/

We also picked up a couple of issues of Hawaii Magazine before we went.

Take your hard earned cash and make it a one week land vacation on Kauai. Stay up in Princeville, do the Napali coast by helicopter. Snorkel "the tunnels" and try to do a high school luau for local flavor. If you liked Clooney in "the descendants," tip back a few at Tahiti Nui.

Though there are parts of Oahu (north of Kaneohe Bay) worth a visit, do understand that Honolulu is basically L.A. with more beachfront.