UBP price increase, $15 per drink? But...

Jbrattoncruise

They did give back a little: they raised the price limit to $15. I know this means nothing to you, because you don't drink, but this is a package designed for drinkers.

Currently the raised limit does very little to most of the drinkers either as most alcoholic drinks were included already with the $11 limit.

Ah, I see now. Do we know yet if we are going to be able to pre pay for it? Or will it be in each receipt? Can we open a tab on the ship? I don't remember no one ever doing that on my last cruise.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We did at many different bars many times throughout our Getaway cruise. However, we were never allowed to open a tab on our Epic cruise. So who knows.

Try reading the Royal Caribbean board. It's brought up in every single drink package thread about coffee and water as a way to get your moneys worth.

It is called Ultimate Beverage Package, not Ultimate Alcohol Package. The exclusion of water that the line can buy under 10 cents a bottle makes no sense whatsoever.

RCCL non alcoholic package is the best around, since it includes fresh juice, coffee and bottles of water. I am disappointed NCL's "highest" package doesn't include it. RCCL's highest package includes everything even fresh real fruit and vegetable smoothies. NCL'S ? no that's extra. Smoothies cost under 15 or 10 but still not included on NCL.

I wonder what the spin for this will be? Because the COE's wife does not like to drink fresh juice, coffee or bottled water we exclude that , but her mojitos cost 14 so we are raising the price of the UBP to include it.

Currently the raised limit does very little to most of the drinkers either as most alcoholic drinks were included already with the $11 limit.
I know that, and I have said as much myself in other threads. But I was responding specifically to the complaint that they raised the price and "don't even give back a little something". I think that offering people potentially $4 more on every drink order can fairly be described as "a little something".

Yes, guests have always been responsible for the gratuities when purchasing the package, ever since the package was first introduced. There were a few months when the package was given as a promo, and the gratuities were included. The promo changed to where you are given the package, but guests have to pay the gratuities on the price of the package. Some feel they are entitled to have the gratuities included since they once were.

Book in the UK/EU no extra charges on free stuff the 18% is included.

I think they should raise it to $70, lower the limit to $10, and remove beer.

The funniest part of that comment is the beer comment, beer does not cost seven or eight dollars a bottle they buy in bulk so they're probably spending $.40-$.50 so if you are paying the 18% gratuity and think overall what you're paying on the tips would be the same as buying it in the store for a week if not more. I can buy a 36 pack for 30 bucks and it will last a month. I looked at the price of the package on my 14 nighter and it is $1057 per person. Really? Who spends that in reality on 14 days of drinks?

Edited by iimmie

I can buy a 36 pack for 30 bucks and it will last a month. I looked at the price of the package on my 14 nighter and it is $1057 per person. Really? Who spends that in reality on 14 days of drinks?

Comparing apples to oranges. And just because you (nor I) do not spend that much on drinks on a cruise, there are plenty of those who do.

The funniest part of that comment is the beer comment, beer does not cost seven or eight dollars a bottle they buy in bulk so they're probably spending $.40-$.50 so if you are paying the 18% gratuity and think overall what you're paying on the tips would be the same as buying it in the store for a week if not more. I can buy a 36 pack for 30 bucks and it will last a month.

You also do not have to pay $150 a night per person to sleep at home in your own bed and prepare your own meals, so that's really starting to sound like the ideal vacation… :rolleyes:

I looked at the price of the package on my 14 nighter and it is $1057 per person. Really? Who spends that in reality on 14 days of drinks?
Very few people. The people who want that are getting it for free, and to them it feels like they are getting a $1000 discount on their cruise.

The funniest part of that comment is the beer comment, beer does not cost seven or eight dollars a bottle they buy in bulk so they're probably spending $.40-$.50 so if you are paying the 18% gratuity and think overall what you're paying on the tips would be the same as buying it in the store for a week if not more. I can buy a 36 pack for 30 bucks and it will last a month. I looked at the price of the package on my 14 nighter and it is $1057 per person. Really? Who spends that in reality on 14 days of drinks?

You know that retail store mark up their prices about 5 times what they get the product for. The company I work for is even more than that for retail.

:o *looks around* ... *slowly raises glass* :o

Fixed that for you... :D

What the UBP program has done in my case was bring my wife and I to NCL from other brands. Neither of us are really big drinkers, and have never bought the packages as they simply didn't seem worthwhile. What drew us in though is sense of "all-inclusive" it gives even though we know the "value" in terms of bar-tab savings is really not anywhere near the stated $ value.

They did give back a little: they raised the price limit to $15. I know this means nothing to you, because you don't drink, but this is a package designed for drinkers. No one (even on Princess or wherever else) has ever suggested that you can get your money's worth with these packages by drinking non-alcoholic beverages.

The principle is: they offered a deal, and you took it. It included one perk that is wasted on you, but I guess the rest of the deal was attractive to you, so you bought it. The principle is not: I booked the most expensive stateroom on the ship so I should get to decide what the perks are.Evidently, they demand more even when their cruise fare doesn't go up.

I could care less if they raised the price of a drink to $25 vs $15. I know when I purchased my cruise the fare has the UBP price built into it. I never thought it a good deal for the non drinker to receive the UBP perk and paid gratuities on the perk a good deal for anyone who didn't drink.

I was however a little excited to hear they were raising the cost of the UBP to over $75/day. Being that RCI at $67/day includes water bottles, specialty coffees and fresh squeezed juices, smoothies etc... I figured the NCL would up the benefits with the increased price to compete with other lines. I was watching to see if I would actually be able to receive some benefit from the included perk.

Instead the increased price is obviously just another money grab. Perhaps they will increase the price of most drinks on board to $15 so that the UBP recipient feels they are getting their $ worth. But it's most likely just a way to get some extra up front fees from the UBP perk choice. I would not be surprised if the next move is to increase the grats to 22%.

Regardless it's still a Huge perk, valued at $1661.44 for my next cruise. I do think it very tacky and money grab that this, ultimate BEVERAGE package, I was, "given" does not cover any beverage or related gratuities that I, a non drinker will consume. I thought that all along, even prior to the increase and it either indicates NCL is targeting a party boat, the people devising the plans have no idea that there are people out there who do not drink and still sail in a suite or just a way to get more $ from you.

I could care less if they raised the price of a drink to $25 vs $15. I know when I purchased my cruise the fare has the UBP price built into it. I never thought it a good deal for the non drinker to receive the UBP perk and paid gratuities on the perk a good deal for anyone who didn't drink.

I was however a little excited to hear they were raising the cost of the UBP to over $75/day. Being that RCI at $67/day includes water bottles, specialty coffees and fresh squeezed juices, smoothies etc... I figured the NCL would up the benefits with the increased price to compete with other lines. I was watching to see if I would actually be able to receive some benefit from the included perk.

Was it raised over $75? I thought it was raised to $64. Maybe if they raised it to $67, they would have included other items like RCI does.

Was it raised over $75? I thought it was raised to $64. Maybe if they raised it to $67, they would have included other items like RCI does.

RCI's plan at $67/day includes the gratuities, specialty coffees, bottled water, smoothies, fresh squeezed juices.... NCL's plan is $75.52/day with gratuities and does not include those items.

Comparing apples to oranges. And just because you (nor I) do not spend that much on drinks on a cruise, there are plenty of those who do.

You are right on: just because one person doesn't drink much at all and can't see the benefit of a drink package, doesn't mean others do not, plus, his saying he can buy 36 cans for $30.00. Well, good for him, most of us pay a lot more than that for decent beer.

And if comparing apples to apples; the cost of NCL UBP was previously $64/day with included grats vs RCI's at $67/day with grats. So for $3/day extra you got smoothies, bottled water, specialty coffees... Now it's even worse. NCL's is $8/day more than RCI's and those items are still not included.

And if comparing apples to apples; the cost of NCL UBP was previously $64/day with included grats vs RCI's at $67/day with grats. So for $3/day extra you got smoothies, bottled water, specialty coffees... Now it's even worse. NCL's is $8/day more than RCI's and those items are still not included.

Well, then one should certainly take that into consideration when picking a cruise line to sail on. I cruise on Celebrity, as well as NCL, and their cost versus NCL's is something I would take into consideration as well.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Well, then one should certainly take that into consideration when picking a cruise line to sail on. I cruise on Celebrity, as well as NCL, and their cost versus NCL's is something I would take into consideration as well.

Agreed. IMHO anyone who does not consider their anticipated total out of pocket cost for different cruise options isn't doing their homework.

Agreed. IMHO anyone who does not consider their anticipated total out of pocket cost for different cruise options isn't doing their homework.

I couldn’t agree more. Just a quick search with major online ta and I see lowest suite price for November, 2016 Europe: Celebrity $7765 on the 12 night Constellation. Included extras are the beverage package and $940 obc. You get a butler and private restaurant… The specialty coffees, water bottles, smoothies etc include the gratuities …

Compared to NCL Spirit (non haven ship) 11 night sailing. Their lowest price suite on basically the same sailing is $8891 with UBP and $400 obc. The UBP covers your alcohol and soda and the included tip on the alcohol and soda. You want a smoothie, bottle of water, specialty coffee fresh squeezed juice and you’ll pay for the drink and an 18% grat. Granted NCL also includes $125 in internet, which you can't convert to the inclusive internet package, a $50 for four port max, non combinable and no embarkation or debarkation value in excursions so $200 total credit if you want to book ship excursions. It also includes 5nt ultimate specialty dining package that can be used for some, not all, specialty dining items so about $200 value with grats.

So perks wise you’re at about the same but I don’t think anyone would pick the NCL perks package over the Celebrity free drinks that really are free and a flat out $940 obc. Celebrity ship also has the solarium covered pool that can be used in winter.

I will say that I am not paying the $8891 only because I fought for and got price protection for a canceled cruise I had on the Epic Haven Suite, but anyone comparing today has that to compare to. People wonder why NCL has a reputation for nickel and diming and it’s stuff like offering an ultimate BEVERAGE package that excludes many beverages that gives them the well-deserved name.

btw this Spirit sailing price is, if assuming new pricing structure of best price when a cruise first opens, at the rock bottom price since the price has not risen since the sailing was introduced a little over a month ago.

Edited by littlelulu01

I am curious as how many of the posters upset about the price increase actually purchased the UBP and how many received it as a free perk with their cruise. Since I have it as a free perk and have never purchased the UBP I am not concerned about the specialty coffee, juice, and water omission. I usually bring my own water and when I have special coffee there is "booze involved". But then this is me personally. I agree with the posters who wrote one should take cost into consideration.

I think that the "expected" price increase on drinks wills serve two purposes 1) bring NCL closer other cruise lines (RCI) in term of drink prices and 2) will make more people consider getting the UBP. However, considering the current price of the UBP, I wonder how many people will buy for the two people in the cabin. Although, right now NCL requires that everyone in the cabin purchase the UBP, I can see them changing that policy since RCI does not require that.

Only time will tell.

If don't drink don't pick the UBP there are other options, if in a Suite have it removed and save the 18%

The rules are no substitutes, you should still be able to have it removed.

36 cans for $30 last a month, must be rubbish if you can only face drinking 1 a day.