Mobility Scooter on Regatta

retafcruiser

I know someone will have an answer here, as I recall past discussions on this issue. Part of the problem is getting over a door jamb that exists in some cabins, as I recall. Here is one thread I found about wheelchair accessibility. I hope you have an answer soon.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43644930&highlight=wheelchair+cabin+access#post43644930

Just speaking anecdotally, we have never seen a motorized scooter being used onboard. But I know others have.

Good luck,

Donna

I think after the Concordia event require they them to be in your room and not in the hallway. But I could be wrong on this. I have seen them onboard.

Edited by ORV

There HAVE been discussions on this topic; you might try doing a search in the meantime.

I remember well seeing scooters on Marina but I don't recall if I've seen them on the "R" ships. I was using a wheelchair when we were on Regatta 10 years ago BUT we'd gotten a great upsell to an Owner's Suite so the doorway was wide enough. I don't know how a wheelchair compares to your scooter, and it's very possible that the OS doorways are wider than they are for the standard cabins.

And if you need to use the scooter while IN the cabin, that might be another question. When we had the OS it was large enough for me to use it inside the cabin. (At the time I could hobble for a very short distance but could not walk around the cabin.) It seemed to me that the wheelchair could not have been used even in a PH (for getting around the cabin).

Another possible problem with the PH on Regatta is the tub/shower combination. Would there be a problem in stepping into the tub? Regular veranda cabins have separate showers (no tub) but they are very small.

Good luck on finding an answer!

Mura

Edited by Mura

Unfortunately, the R ships are not conducive to using a mobility scooter, unless we are talking about the lightweight travel version

smart-scooter-1.jpg the standard, heavier ones would be a mistakeliterider%20foldable%20scooter%20golden%20tech.jpg

There are 2" to 3" lips on many of the doors, including every exterior door (that is a small ship thing), not to mention that the doors themselves weigh a ton, and are tough to open for an agile person. To be fair, they do place small ramps on the lips of the emergency exits.

005154.jpg211253.jpg

Another issue is that since the Concordia "incident", the safety rules have been amended so that it is necessary to store such a Scooter within ones cabin overnight so as to not block the hallways in the event of an Emergency.

Regatta-Penthouse-Suite-Floor-Plan2.jpg

Regatta Penthouses ARE large enough to do that, but lifting the scooter up and over that lip repeatedly over the course of a voyage might be a cause for concern.

I hope that this isn't discouraging, but having been disabled myself, for a bit, I know that I would much rather know what the pitfalls are, ahead of time :o

Would it be possible to rent a lighter one for the trip?

I had found in my previous search of the forum that there is a company that rents/provides lighter weight scooters and wheelchairs for cruises. Someone told how they rented a scooter and it was waiting on board in their cabin. Can't look for it right now, but the OP might consider this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You would be best to call Oceania & ask what the door width is for PH cabins

you have to advise them if you are bringing a scooter anyway

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

I have an existing medical condition. What do I do?

Guests with any medical condition(s) or special needs that may require treatment or attention or accommodation during the voyage, or needing to travel with medical apparatus, including wheelchairs, motorized scooters, oxygen therapy, etc., must advise Oceania Cruises in writing at the time of deposit. Please note some ports of call may not be suitable for guests with limited mobility and in such cases, may disallow debarkation with a wheelchair or motorized scooter or for any individual with limited mobility. Oceania Cruises is unable to accommodate women past their sixth month of pregnancy. Oceania Cruises has the right to refuse or revoke passage to anyone who, in its judgment, is in a physical, mental or emotional condition unfit for travel or whose comfort onboard may be compromised due to situations beyond the care that can be provided by Oceania Cruises. Oceania Cruises will under appropriate circumstances permit its guests to use special equipment such as those noted above, which satisfy the criteria stated in the Oceania Cruises' Policy Statement.

Do you provide wheelchairs, mobility devices or other special needs to passengers?

For details on a prearranged rental program, please contact our authorized vendor:

Special Needs at Sea

Phone: (toll-free) 800-513-4515 or 954-585-0575

Fax: 954-585-0577

http://www.specialneedsatsea.com

Edited by LHT28

It is specialneedsatseas.com, and they are the preferred rental company by O. However, by a quick browse of some of the Op's previous posts, I see they are familiar with the disability forum on CC and the rental co.

-

We were on the Regatta last year, and did see some mobility scooters, however I agree with J&S, the lips on the doors, and the tightness of the ship made it difficult for those to maneuver. More than once, a person in a mobility scooter got caught on the lip and required assistance in getting through the doors. I know O does allow them, I would personally call their representatives, and ask for specifics regarding their policies, and sizes before writing off the cruise.

We were on the Insignia last fall and a woman in one of the Penthouse cabins had a mobility scooter. Several times I saw her entering her cabin and she had a difficult time getting over the lip, plus you have to be at the right angle to get in without hitting the door.

There was one scooter on one of our Alaska cruises and our butler told us of constant arguments about the scooter not being able to be left in the hallway.

Unhappy passenger as well as unhappy staff...

When I was using that wheelchair it could be very difficult negotiating the hallway (this was on Regatta) what with the housekeeping carts blocking the way. Even passing passengers who were walking in the opposite direction could be awkward.

I just cannot imagine anyone thinking that it would be okay just to leave a scooter in the hallway!

Mura

Just got off Regatta... the passage ways elevators are very compact its a hassle to even get in the cabin... Then the nature of getting off or on the gangways which can be very steep.. A scooter would make each day a challenge.. A wheel chair that can fold would be a plus.

They are small ships not set up for the majority of ADA and no way are you going to get into the bathroom.... no way turn to sharp and too narrow. None of the Penthouse cabins are ADA only the insides on deck 5

Your going to be, sadly with a scooter, pretty much a captive in your room for all 12 days. You should also note that all the tours I saw will not take wheelchair or Scooter passengers...

AsJim and Stan said Riveria and Marina are your best choice and in non-Alaska,ports. I am afraid the deck is stacked against you with a

scooter...even if the Pope delivers it himself.....having it getting it is not the problem using it IS

My wife used this portable scooter that folds up for easy transportation on tours. It only weighs 35 pounds.

TravelScoot_pic_600.jpg

She didn't have any major problems on either ship, although the Regatta cabin was smaller, we were able to keep it at full size in the cabin. She had to stand up and lift to get over the threshold; but that was the only issue.

She was able to get around the laundry carts or go the other way if there was a lot of congestion in the hall.

I agree about contacting O about it, since they can give you a definitive answer.