Possible trip cancellation - - - -help!!!!

grak

My travel partner may have to cancel - she does have insurance but I have a couple of questions - - - can we have someone else go in her place? What's the latest we could (if we can) do that? If I just go by myself will I have to pay more since I will be a single in that cabin? :confused::confused:

Steelers36, wasn't that based upon the "cancelled/no show pax" not being refunded their cost? If the missing pax wasn't refunded, then I don't believe Princess would charge the remaining pax the single supplement.

Edited by Treven

You did not say whether you had Princess Vacation Protection or third-party travel insurance. The answer depends on the specific travel insurance. Also it requires you to have travel insurance - not just for your travel companion to have the insurance.

If you have Princess Vacation Protection, then check the Princess Vacation Protection Plan Description. On the bottom of the first column of page 3, it states:

"Princess Cancellation Fee Waiver refunds are also provided if you are charged a change in occupancy/single supplement due to one of the reasons cited above."

Note that this covers you only if your travel companion cancels for a covered reason - not if the cancellation is under the "Cancel for any reason" coverage.

If you do not have Princess Vacation Protection and your travel partner cancels, then Princess will charge you the single supplement. Depending on what third-party insurance you have, you may or may not be able to get the single supplement paid by the insurance company. For example, Worldwide Trip Protector from Travel Insured International (sold by USAA) states:

"Benefits will be paid, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount, for the additional cost incurred as a result of a change in the per person occupancy rate for Prepaid Travel Arrangements if a Traveling Companion's or Family Member's Trip is canceled for a covered reason and You do not cancel Your Trip."

Note that this specific third-party coverage may also pay for half of a prepaid pre-cruise hotel room as well as the Princess single supplement.

In summary, read your travel insurance policy. Many will provide this coverage, but some may not.

Edited by NavyVeteran

What insurance do you have? Princess's?

Why is your friend canceling? Sick or an uncovered reason that would fall under "cancel for any reason".

Usually you can change a name for a $50 change fee - I think that is the cost.

Thank you all for the information - sorry I wasn't more explicit. Her and I both have Princess insurance. Her elderly mother is ill. I'm pretty sure I would just have my DH go in her place. He won't mind as long as that is doable. We don't want to make any changes until the last minute but just not sure when that last minute can be for the change in cabin mates.

Thank you all for the information - sorry I wasn't more explicit. Her and I both have Princess insurance. Her elderly mother is ill. I'm pretty sure I would just have my DH go in her place. He won't mind as long as that is doable. We don't want to make any changes until the last minute but just not sure when that last minute can be for the change in cabin mates.

As helpful as cruise critic members are, this is one example of when I would call princess.

A sick parent should be covered, provided a doctor would sign off.

According to the Princess Vacation Protection Plan Description, a sick parent would be covered - unless the illness was considered a pre-existing condition. I would recommend reading the Plan Description and then calling the insurance company with any specific questions.

If you plan to substitute, I would recommend you call Princess (or your travel agent if you booked with one) as early as you can and see what your options are.

We don't want to make any changes until the last minute but just not sure when that last minute can be for the change in cabin mates.

Not sure, but I think the deadline is about a week before the cruise.

As others have said, call Princess to be sure.