Hurricane Joaquin

Mr. Blonde

I'm supposed to depart from Port Canaveral on Friday morning.

Should I be prepared for a cancellation? :mad::mad::mad::mad:

No. Be prepared to sail. Cruises rarely get cancelled. Itineraries can change, departure time might change, port calls might change, but your cruise is very, very, very, very unlikely to be cancelled.

Assuming you even get there in time to make the ship flying the day of. I'd expect there will be a lot of weather-related flight delays and cancellations.

This doesn't answer my question at all and makes assumptions that you have no place to make without knowing me, my wife, or our travel partners. If you have any response as to what RCI might do in terms of modifying the itinerary in light of Joaquin I welcome it. Concern trolling, chastisement, or scolding for HAVING to book a flight for when we did isn't.

We're flying from Raleigh-Durham to Fort Lauderdale on Saturday AM to cruise on Oasis (Eastern Caribbean itinerary, ports of call in Nassau on Sunday, St. Thomas on Tuesday, and St. Maarten on Wednesday). For those who are following the storm a little more closely and have more experience sailing when there's a storm out there, what's the most likely scenario? From other posts I'm seeing it seems like these are options but as we've got friends coming with us who've never cruised before I'd like to help assuage their fears here - so which is it most/more likely to be?

• Itinerary modification (substitution of a port or ports)
  • Itinerary change (Western rather than Eastern)
  • Delayed departure
  • Some other change?

The only thing that is for sure is that RCCL will not deliberately sail into the path of a hurricane. No one knows for sure what may happen to your trip but just for info, we were scheduled to sail the August 23 (2015) EASTERN Caribbean sailing and the evening prior to sailing we got an email from RCCL that we would now sail a WESTERN route. We kept Coco Cay then swung around to hit Montego Bay, Cayman Islands and Cozumel.

On a cruise about 12 years ago, our ship was instructed to leave Port Canaveral a few hours earlier than originally posted. This was a bit before everyone had email and cell phones and many missed the ship. Some because they did not know the ship was leaving early and others because the Orlando airport closed at noon. Many flights could not get in.

Lastly, on the August Freedom cruise there was also some potential storm that might make getting back to Port Canaveral difficult. Luckily we arrived back with no incident, but there was all kinds of speculation that we might be back a day early/late or be brought back to a different port and bussed back to PC.

Make sure RCCL has several ways to contact you and check for alerts on the web site.

Good luck

M

If your schedule allows you to get in the car and head to Ft Lauderdale on Friday, you might consider that option.

Good luck and have a good trip

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

At this point, I wouldn't be too concerned about FL and Caribbean Saturday or later. I'd be most concerned about trips leaving this weekend from NYC/ Bayonne/Boston or Baltimore. I am thinking there is a significant chance of those cruises being significantly impacted

Well we are now on the Serenade IN Canada! We are worried because we are scheduled for a sea day next Tuesday and arrival in Bayonne NJ next Wed AM. But it's still early and that path may change. I hope! Probably the fla cruises will go to the western Carib or Key West. Now flying in is a problem! Safe travels.

I am with you that I hope the forecast changes and Joaquin takes a right turn. Right now you are due in port in Bonaire on the 7th and the hurricane is due in to pass NY the 6th.

Shak

At this point, I wouldn't be too concerned about FL and Caribbean Saturday or later. I'd be most concerned about trips leaving this weekend from NYC/ Bayonne/Boston or Baltimore. I am thinking there is a significant chance of those cruises being significantly impacted

We are also concerned about our daughter flying into NYC on Tuesday (Oct. 6th).

This doesn't answer my question at all and makes assumptions that you have no place to make without knowing me, my wife, or our travel partners. If you have any response as to what RCI might do in terms of modifying the itinerary in light of Joaquin I welcome it. Concern trolling, chastisement, or scolding for HAVING to book a flight for when we did isn't.

Wow...........:rolleyes::confused:

By concerned m I didn't mean worried. I don't know why people worry about safety about things like this. They don't fly planes or steer ships into hurricanes. The "concern" is more around itinerary changes, flight cancellations, that sort of thing. Just to be clearin how I meant "concern".

Yikes... leaving on the Liberty on Saturday for Bermuda... :(

We're flying from Raleigh-Durham to Fort Lauderdale on Saturday AM to cruise on Oasis (Eastern Caribbean itinerary, ports of call in Nassau on Sunday, St. Thomas on Tuesday, and St. Maarten on Wednesday). For those who are following the storm a little more closely and have more experience sailing when there's a storm out there, what's the most likely scenario? From other posts I'm seeing it seems like these are options but as we've got friends coming with us who've never cruised before I'd like to help assuage their fears here - so which is it most/more likely to be?

• Itinerary modification (substitution of a port or ports)
  • Itinerary change (Western rather than Eastern)
  • Delayed departure
  • Some other change?

My guess is that they will sail on schedule Saturday from Fort Lauderdale with no itinerary changes. I think your biggest issue will be getting there on time flying from Raleigh Saturday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Those of you that mentioned the cruise ships will never sail through a hurricane are mistaken! I was on the Hurricane Sandy cruise from NJ to Bermuda with nowhere to run. The storm was a monster so we could not go around it or run from it. Instead of canceling, RCCL went right though the eye. It wasn't pleasant !

I can't believe after that experience that I didn't get trip insurance for Liberty this weekend. And I can't believe this is happening twice. Don't ever book a cruise the same time as me. I swear hurricanes love me!

Well I plan on having a great time regardless. I'll eat drink and laugh a lot even if I feel like I am in the spin cycle of the washing machine! Everyone cruising out of Florida , no need to worry. There are a lot more options for alternative directions to sail.

Those of you that mentioned the cruise ships will never sail through a hurricane are mistaken! I was on the Hurricane Sandy cruise from NJ to Bermuda with nowhere to run. The storm was a monster so we could not go around it or run from it. Instead of canceling, RCCL went right though the eye. It wasn't pleasant !

Oasis of the Seas Nov 5 2011 sailing... the Captain purposely took her into the <strike>hurricane</strike> tropical storm to see how she handled in bad weather as the ship had never been in bad weather at that point..

waves breaking 2 decks above the bridge.. all doors to outside locked .. and " it wasn't pleasant!" was a nice way of saying it.. :eek:

Edited by meester_jamie

Oasis of the Seas Nov 5 2011 sailing... the Captain purposely took her into the <strike>hurricane</strike> tropical storm to see how she handled in bad weather as the ship had never been in bad weather at that point..

waves breaking 2 decks above the bridge.. all doors to outside locked .. and " it wasn't pleasant!" was a nice way of saying it.. :eek:

Come again? Exactly how big were these waves?

In thru the nose, out thru the mouth....In thru the nose, out thru the mouth....

Dude, relax.

Serenity now!!!

I thought that cruise went to Boston and sat there.

He did not purposely take it through the storm..I was on that cruise.Royal decided unlike the rest of the ships in port that they were still going out as planned.He did have to turn the ship so the waves were hitting head on if thats what you are referring to but he didnt take the ship out to see how it handled in bad weather.Thats just insane..3000 lives in jeapardy to see how she handled? Lol,no.....If he didnt turn the ship into the waves bad things couldve happened.The waves were very large but were not hitting 2 decks above the bridge!!Hind site being 20/20 im sure royal would have stayed in port..Also the ship had been in bad weather before.They came through that same storm coming into port that morning and left right back into it...It was a tropical storm not a hurricane.. Sorry but you are wrong on this entirely...

Edited by rtazz17

Hi folks-

DH and I just got off the Carnival Fascination this morning (small ship). We left Freeport Thursday afternoon, and the captain hauled butt north for Jax yesterday.

We had a lot of swell, so the ship had a nice forward/aft motion, and scattered rain clouds and short showers. Great for sleeping, but not so much for walking. We just traversed the ship on cabin floors for safety. NO problem!

There were a lot of folks that were a bit queasy, but we thoroughly enjoyed it. If you're prone to motion sickness, get yourself some meds before you board. Also, the old standby of ginger ale works wonders. Ginger ale works even better if you add a bit of dark rum to it. ;)

We were on the Jewel of the seas repo cruise that got held in the port of Boston for 2 days for Sandy. We sat up in the Windjammer as it came over, and watched the lights go out in Boston before the world disappeared in rain. The first two days out of port running south were a bit rough, but it was fine.

Have a great trip this weekend - wish we were going out again!

Wendy

He did not purposely take it through the storm..I was on that cruise.Royal decided unlike the rest of the ships in port that they were still going out as planned.He did have to turn the ship so the waves were hitting head on if thats what you are referring to but he didnt take the ship out to see how it handled in bad weather.Thats just insane..3000 lives in jeapardy to see how she handled? Lol,no.....If he didnt turn the ship into the waves bad things couldve happened.The waves were very large but were not hitting 2 decks above the bridge!!Hind site being 20/20 im sure royal would have stayed in port..Also the ship had been in bad weather before.They came through that same storm coming into port that morning and left right back into it...It was a tropical storm not a hurricane.. Sorry but you are wrong on this entirely...

I dunno,, they decided to head into the tropical storm ... that is sort of on purpose... :confused: and I'll post the pics that shows at least a couple big waves... but never the less... ships do head into bad weather... as you have confirmed,, so I wasn't really "entirely" wrong... :cool:

sorry for exaggerating.. :(

In thru the nose, out thru the mouth....In thru the nose, out thru the mouth....

Dude, relax.

Serenity now!!![/quote

I'm sorry if I came off strong here, but I had a legitimate question. Having another user wag their finger at me for not booking a flight the day before did nothing to actually answer my question. Further it annoyed me that the user was so presumptuous as to assume that I had the ability to fly in the day before rather than simply taking the facts as they were presented.

Regarding up coming Oasis cruise. Looks like most of storm will be further north by sailing time. I think the question will be how hard was Nassau hit. The port cam suggests that other more easterly areas took the brunt of the storm. So you might luck out as far as itinerary. You might have your friends pack sea sickness meds. These should be taken before you get symptoms. Down side is drowsiness. I have tried wrist bands designed for this purpose and they worked for me. I have never tried a patch. I was on a hurricane cruise once with RC and the captain tried to out run it going around Cuba. He was successful, but it was quiet a ride.

We are on Oasis at the end of the month.