Live from the Amsterdam - Our Tales of the South Pacific

arzz

It wasn't destroyed as much as run down, pigeons living in it etc.

Actually it was "destroyed". Hurrican Iniki roared through the Island of Kauai = a force 5 hurricane - causing over a billion dollars worth of damage to the whole island.

Some developer is going to start in December or early January to rebuild (restore) Coco Palms.

Day 11 - Honolulu Day 2

It was an odd over night in Honolulu - the anthropomorphic being of the ship, the entity, had gone to sleep - the only sounds were that of the air handling system - no motion - and our window faced the terminal building at the pier.

The morning brought cloudy skies which meant cooler temperatures - but it also meant some rain. We experienced only sprinkles - others we spoke with experienced downpours and detours around flash flood areas on the north side of the island.

So ... we headed out and once more took advantage of the "free" shuttle system - this time the one over to Hilo Hatties (which is going out of business - apparently they are in bankruptcy and restructuring - the store we were brought to is closing but the store at Ala Moana will stay open). After some time shopping the "going out of business sale" where we picked up a few inexpensive trinkets, we availed ourselves of Hilo Hatties shuttle to Waikiki. There we walked for a while, enjoyed the cooling effect of sprinkles of rain, stopped for lunch and eventually taxied back to the ship.

We just are not being very exciting folks - we will probably return to Hawaii for a land vacation some time and really get to enjoy what the islands have to offer.

On Sunday DH and I spent the bulk of the afternoon on the New York Times Sunday crossword from the ship's "Times Daily". Today DH and I had our Monday puzzle race and zipped through the puzzle in a few minutes time.

At dinner time the dining room was decorated with red and white streamers for Canadian Thanksgiving. Now, no matter what HAL does not everyone is happy - I actually heard folks complaining that HAL was doing something for the Canadians and had neglected to recognize Columbus Day -- I guess HAL just can't win.

They did put on a very tasty Thanksgiving dinner - one of the best I have had this voyage. There was no show last night. There was one showing of "Jurassic World" in the Queen's Lounge which started at 8:00 (our dinner time) so we missed it. No big deal, except that much of it was filmed in Kauai which would have been nice to see. We will catch it at home.

Day 12 - Kona, Hawaii

Today is our last American port, the last time our cell phones will work without incurring large expense - this will be missed. It is possible in Pago Pago, American Samoa we will be able to use them again. From now on I will have to live on the ship's internet or, if I want to spend my port time I could use free wifi in port.

Kona is a tender port. From our breakfast table in the MDR we could see that there was almost no movement of the horizon at all - unlike the situation in Maui. So tender in to the island it was.

The temperatures and the sun were very hot - the tender ride over not too terribly hot, the tender ride back was stifling - but both rides were uneventful and relatively smooth. The tenders were able to load and unload very quickly and the tender ticket numbers were dispatched hours more rapidly than in Lahaina.

Our biggest aim today was to enjoy a piece of Kona - but to be sure not to miss the tender back as our next port is Fanning Island in Kiribati (a place which may not even have an air strip - or at least not much of one) and that is two sea days away.

We did not sign up for a shore excursion or take one of the independent tours offered at the dock as we had spent several days here some years ago and we have seen the major sights. All we were interested in doing was having a nice walk, and taking a peek around town. And that we did.

Along the way DH had one of the yummiest strawberry smoothies ever - me, I just had a coke - boring. We purchased the beverages at a small open air establishment that also gives free tastes and sells Kona coffee. We were told that we should get our beverages there and not next door because the establishment next door has rats. We were also told that we should buy their Kona coffee as it comes from one of the few coffee farms that is not infested with boring beetles. Ahh, the joys of small business competition. From my experience I can pretty much guarantee that if the open air establishment next door has rats - so do they!

Back on the ship we went up to the lido for lunch and lots of ice water. I do not like to complain and I am not really complaining now (or am I?) - but I really, really, really miss the old sandwich bar. I understand that decisions have to be made - there are limits on what HAL can do and they certainly do a fantastic job up in the lido - with an excellent salad bar, the oriental noodle station, as well as the usual hot food, desserts, etc. But ... I miss the sandwiches that were freshly made to my specifications with potato chips and a pickle on the side.

The pre-made sandwiches are very nice and they do offer a nice variety - but they are all on the same multi-grain buns. HAL's multigrain buns contain flaxseed which is one of those ingredients with a long list of heath benefits - but not a healthy grain for me - so what I have been doing is getting the pre made sandwich AND a couple of the bread rolls that work for me and remaking the sandwich - wasting the nice multigrain bun. There is never an attendant at the sandwich area so it is not practical to ask for a specially made sandwich - I do not wish to ask the very hard working staff on board to leave what they are doing and do something specially for me.

DH complains because he can't get the exact sandwich he wants and there are no longer any potato chips available. I have also heard this from others - as well as comments that the rolls get soggy when the sandwiches sit for a period of time. I know my concerns are very personal and do not apply to most. If you want fancy food the dining room and/or Pinnacle is open for lunch most days - but on an extended cruise like this one we should be able to get simple food that is to our taste. Rant over.

Sail away was at 4:30 pm this evening. We went up to the aft pool and decided it was too hot and sunny and we were too early for a sunset - so we went down to the promenade deck and watched the crew raise the last two tenders. It had never occurred to me before to watch the tenders from deck 3 - I have watched them many times from the upper decks and when we have had a balcony I have watched them being raised from the vantage point of our balcony. I found it fascinating to watch how the boats are attached to the lines that raise them up, how each tender is carefully hosed down with freshwater before being placed in position above the promenade - and once again, it makes me realize how absolutely spectacular our crew are to go to the trouble and take on the personal risks involved in this process. I never tire of being at sea.

Dinner tonight was uneventful. The evening's entertainment is a Doo-Wap group that I really wanted to see but tonight I am so tired that I know that I will fall asleep during the show ... so we came back to the cabin and are tucking in for the night. Tomorrow I will be quite sorry that I made this decision.

We have started the two day, 1000 mile journey across nowhere to Fanning Island - one of the 32 coral atolls that comprise the Republic of Kiribati. Fanning Island has 2000 residents - no electricity and no indoor plumbing. Should be a fascinating port.

Day 12 - Kona, Hawaii

We have started the two day, 1000 mile journey across nowhere to Fanning Island - one of the 32 coral atolls that comprise the Republic of Kiribati. Fanning Island has 2000 residents - no electricity and no indoor plumbing. Should be a fascinating port.

Enjoy your visit to Fanning Island, we were there last year and I found it a very interesting experience. The children are sweet and be sure to look for the pigs which are tied up; almost under every other tree.

I so enjoy reading of your experience's and check every day for more. Thank you for keeping us all informed.

Helen:)

Day 13 - At Sea

Day 13 - some would be superstitious about thus numbering a day ... but I need to identify my entries in some coherent manner and this trip using dates just really won't do as we cross the dateline no less than four times. Our first venture in that venue will be tomorrow or will that be day after tomorrow when logically it should be yesterday? ... more on that tomorrow.

It has really been nice to have a stressless sea day. The temperatures are in the eighties, the sun is bright, we are steaming toward Fanning Island at about 15.8 knots, give or take, in dark blue seas that are over 18000 feet deep. All is right with the world.

At trivia this morning we found out that the most recognizable aroma to man and some dogs is coffee and that the largest distributor of toys in the world today is McDonalds. The surprising factoid of the day, however, is that Bugs Bunny was designed to be an animated caricature of Clark Gable. That I would not have guessed in a million years. We came in second ... and our dining table mates were on today's winning team. Let the games begin!

The afternoon was blissfully uneventful - afternoon tea, new friends ... dinner was our second gala night - this time the black chair covers but nothing else particularly special.

The show tonight is a production show and we, as the usual boring folks that we are, passed.

Day 14 - At Sea and Lost One Day

OK, so last night it was Wednesday when I went to sleep - now it is Friday. Our first official crossing of the international date line. And, as usual, even though I can intellectually see that the day must change as you move around the globe - I am always confused as to how it does so.

As we travelled west, we kept moving the clocks BACK, one hour earlier at a time - yet when it comes time to change the date we go forward and skip a day. I keep thinking that when we do this we should have gone back to yesterday and repeated Wednesday rather than skip to Friday. I know my logic is flawed but my senior brain always hurts over this transformation - and we still have three more crossings to go. I need to relax, go with the flow, and accept what those of much greater experience tell me -- no matter what, in our world right now, it is Friday.

It is bright and sunny out, mid eighties, some wind and the 14000 foot deep seas are currently a pastel blue in color, reflecting the clouds that are definitely in the sky, but not shading any of the bright sunlight. I could watch the water forever.

At trivia this morning I found out that Robin (as in Batman and Robin) was named Richard Greyson at birth, the only horror film to win a best picture oscar was "Silence of the Lambs" and an eight letter word in Sanskrit that means king is "Maharaja". (that last, at least, we guessed right). We once again came in second. Destined to be a bridesmaid ...

At lunch on the lido today, the kitchen staff brought out an incredible feast of tropical fruits from the Pacific that we picked up in Hawaii. Nothing like the fresh Hawaiian papaya, pineapple and many exotic ripe treats like dragon fruit and the fruits that are so similar to lychees - the name of which has slipped my mind. I wish we could do that every day. Would I ever get tired of fresh papaya?

Kainoa today talked about Kiribati and American Samoa, and Charles Urbanowicz, our guest speaker, spoke on "Adapting to Island Life - Fanning and the Other Islands". It will be interesting to see what is in store for us tomorrow on Fanning Island. Anxious to find out.

Tonight's entertainment will be a comedian so I am pretty sure we will pass on that one. I am going to try to post this early today as last night I could not grab the internet for either mail or Cruise Critic at my usual time. If anything interesting comes up it will be in tomorrow's installment.

Day 15 - Tabuaeran, Fanning Island, Republic of Kiribati

Well, we have sailed about one thousand miles south west of Hawaii, into the middle of nowhere, and have arrived at Fanning Island.

Fanning Island is a small coral atoll - the island itself is shaped a bit like a kidney bean and consists of a narrow spit of land (area of about 13 square miles) that surrounds a large lagoon in the center (area of 426 square miles), the Crystal Blue Lagoon. The island is one of 32 coral atolls that make up the Republic of Kiribati. It has about 1000 residents and no electricity or indoor plumbing. Rather than a kidney bean which is my impression of the shape of the island, the locals think it looks like a large footprint - thus the name "Tabuaeran" which means heavenly footprint. The majority of the population is in the coconut industry though they also farm seaweed for the Asian market.

We were told that Norwegian Cruise Lines initially put this island on their itinerary for their Hawaiian cruises so that they could go round trip to the U.S. mainland. There is a treaty that was designed to protect American shipping that requires that ships that are not U.S. flagged and make round trip cruises to the U.S. must stop at a distant foreign port before returning to the U.S. Thus NCL needed a foreign port and they began stopping at Fanning Island. That was before NCL got one or two of their ships registered in the U.S. They then abandoned Fanning Island as a cruise stop.

Today's experience was very different. Many of us on board had purchased school and medical supplies that were collected by the ship and distributed today to the island school. We were asked by the ship not to purchase anything at the island's general store as those supplies are necessary for those who live on the island and they do not receive shipments of goods very often.

The island itself is beautiful - lined with coconut palms that are rooted in the grey coral sands and stand near incredibly blue waters. There is a simple wooden dock that is safe but not in the greatest repair that accepts cruise passengers as the tenders come in. As we walked down the dock there was a group of school children who sang for us. There were some chairs set up in the shade for passengers near the dock and a ways down there was a makeshift stage where other island children performed.

The pathway into town was paved with coral sands and littered with mud puddles (as they have recently had rain) and it was lined with tables filled with shell jewelry, baskets, wood carvings and very unusual knives with blades edged with shark's teeth. The price for souvenirs was very low so it was easy to make a contribution to their economy. Groups of islanders dressed in grass skirts or other traditional costumes stood along the path posing for photos (and small donations). At one point there was a group of preschool and primary school age children, along with their teacher, holding pictures they had drawn, and singing for us. They were absolutely charming.

The islanders live in thatched huts or simple buildings with tin roofs and no walls. The arrival of a cruise ship is a large event. This sure was a very interesting event for us also. One I will remember for a long time. It is exotic ports like this that always makes me appreciate Holland America.

There were some swells in the ocean today - the trip out to the island went easily, but on the return we had to head over the waves that so beautifully lap upon their shores, causing splashes that topped the tenders and trickled in at our feet. All part of the experience.

I am going to try to send this early again today as it worked so well yesterday. If anything worth mentioning happens this evening I will post it tomorrow.

What a fabulous description of your day on Fanning Island. The school children and the return to the ship "with splashes that topped the tenders and trickled in at our feet" gave me a feeling of what you are enjoying on this cruise. Thank you again for taking us along. Cherie

Really enjoying your posts. Fanning Island is now sounding more intriguing :)

It's a bit of a let down on the pre-made sandwiches only though. You are very inventive to get around the flax seed problem :) I'll remember that one in case :)

Day 16 - Who says you can't go back in time?

Yesterday was, on the good ship Amsterdam, Saturday, October 17 and ... guess what? Today is also Saturday, October 17. Thank you international date line. Now if we could only get Friday, October 16 back ...

Last night's Celtic Duo, Livewire (yes folks we actually stayed up and went to the show) provided an enjoyable after dinner repast. We were glad we stayed up and I hardly slept at all during the performance which is a massive compliment to the entertainers.

This morning at a bit after 9 am we crossed the equator (not really a surprise judging by the intense heat of the sun today). Captain Eversen said that he contacted King Neptune and got permission to delay the kissing of the fish until we cross again next month on our way back to San Diego. Hey folks, only quoting today's navigational report.

We are also about one third of the way to Pago Pago which is over 1200 nautical miles from Fanning Island. Whee, we are at sea again - in the middle of nowhere. Why do I get such joy from that? When I look at my favorite channel on my cabin TV (The date and time channel, of course) for several days the route line has shown the arrow where our ship is, and the only other landmark there was Fanning Island. The route line now shows that when we get to Pago Pago there will be several other islands in the vicinity. Oh, back to a more crowded world.

The day was filled with the usual at sea stuff - there were lectures, events in the culinary arts center, art and crafts, bridge, games, ukulele lessons etc.

Of course there was Team Trivia. We learned that the two most popular Karaoke songs of all time are "My Way" and "New York New York" and that Thomas Edison proposed to his wife in morse code and nicknamed his kids "Dot" and "Dash". Yes, folks, we learned those things and scored a mediocre third place today, along with many other teams. Oh, the triumph of victory in cruise ship trivia is so fleeting.

DH and I have discovered David the solo guitarist in the Crow's Nest and we really enjoy his music. Sitting for a couple hours each early evening is becoming a regular thing for us.

And, a bit of news. It appears that we will be having, in the near future, a temporary change in command of our ship. It seems Captain Eversen along with Henk Mensink (Hotel Director) and Christel Mensink (Guest Relations Manager) will be leaving us on October 22 (when we are in Apia) and returning on November 4 (when we are in Papeete). According to today's "On Location" they are being required to represent the vessel for Holland America Line in a pending legal matter. Our temporary Captain will be Captain Arjen van der Loo. Hotel Director and Guest Relations Managerial duties will be covered by on board staff during that period of time.

And now, as I prepare for dinner I will sign off and try to upload this report.

Day 17 - Lazy day at sea

Yep. Just that. A lazy sea day - cruising southwest of the equator where the nearest land today was an Atoll about three hundred miles away. We are currently about 500 plus miles from Pago Pago in American Samoa. The sun shines, the seas are blue with some long, low swells and all is right with the world.

The New York Times Sunday crossword took up most of the morning followed by Team Trivia. The common name for nasopharyngitis is the common cold, Martin is the the most common surname in France, Claude Frolo (not sure of the spelling) was the villain in "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" and there are 24 ribs in the human body. I am happy to report that our team is "back" - first place - two points ahead of second. Another "South Pacific" pin and it is good to be King for a day - I am not ashamed to say.

Lectures, lessons and all continue. As Halloween approaches more and more cabin doors are festooned with cob webs, kleenex ghosts, goblins, witches and in one case a bloody finger which I believe to be a cookie... I understand one of the most sought after items by cruise passengers in the stores of Honolulu was Halloween candy. I try not to keep any foodstuffs in our cabin other than my large backlog of pillow chocolates (and maybe a cracker or two) - if I have stuff I will eat it as if there is not enough to eat around the ship anyway. I do want to be able fit into my clothing in mid-November when our adventures are over.

At lunch today there was a bowl of potato chips next to the pre made sandwiches. Thank you Holland America. Much appreciated. DH and I crunched away at lunch today.

In my early cruising days I used to play Bingo every day - and I only won once. On one ship I was on there were not many folks playing each day so the Bingo caller thought he would do me a favor by having a game where the winner was the last person to cover any number on their card ... I even lost at that. So this afternoon I will give Holland America Bingo a try.

Guess what - some things never change - I was as bad at bingo today as I have ever been. I might as well have thrown my money overboard ....

Spent the early evening up in the Crow's Nest again with David the solo guitarist - but tonight the co-star of the show was the sunset - first a bright, clear, yellow sun peaking in and out of the clouds ... The seas rippled from the wind but almost flat reflecting patches of blue and grey that sparkled in what was left of the sunlight - and then there it was - the clouds lit up with deep orange and reds in formations unlike any I have witnessed elsewhere in the world ... Wow! Even David stooped between numbers to take photos. Another reason I spend time on the sea.

Day 18 Closing in on Pago Pago

And yet another sea day. Breakfast, Crossword Puzzle (they go fast on Mondays), Trivia, lunch, afternoon stuff, sunset in the Crow's Nest with the guitarist David, dinner, show, sleep. It is a tough life.

Second (bridesmaids) once again in trivia. The top ten largest restaurant franchises in the world are: McDonalds, KFC, Subway, Pizza Hut, Starbuck's, BK, Dominos, Duncan Donuts, Papa John's and ? - Dairy Queen. The mountain gorilla is only found in Rwanda, Congo and Uganda because it roams along what mountain range that goes through all three countries? The Verunga Range. (cannot guarantee my spelling here). The largest artificial river in the world known as the Grand Canal is in China, and Mount Kilimanjaro is found in Tanzania. And now for the bonus: A Jazz standard song written by Gershwin when his lover left him to marry Charlie Chaplin is "Can't Take That Away From Me". Now you have shared in a piece of my morning.

I tried Bingo again this afternoon and I think I have learned my lesson. I must never go to Bingo. Bingo doesn't like me. I sat next to one of our dinner mates as she won her third (or is it fourth?) time this cruise. Who said life is fair.

Dinner went well, as usual. We eat at 8:00 at a table for six and we are not rushed yet the dinner service is done by 9 or 9:15 pm. Excellent service this trip. Not one complaint from us about the dining room.

Went to see the Alleykats in their second show tonight. They are the Doo-Wap group that we missed a couple of nights ago. They were really good and fun to listen to - the show time went very quickly not even a hint of sleepiness. So sorry we missed their first show.

Tomorrow we need to be dressed and ready to go on our shore excursion by 8 am (what were we thinking?) - it is now11:15 pm so I need to send this now.

Thank you for the great descriptions of your sea days!! I am actually learning quite a bit with your Trivia tidbits. I'm sure there are plenty of Trivia teams that wish they were the "bridesmaid" team. Looking forward to your adventures when you reach land. Cherie

Day 19 - Pago Pago, Tutuila, American Samoa

Pago Pago is actually pronounced "Pango Pango" with an almost imperceptible "g". The name alone congers up mystic tales like the Somerset Maugham morality tale of Miss Sadie Thompson and the Reverend - which was adapted into a play in the 1920's, and later several movie versions. My favorite has always been the film with Joan Crawford as Miss Sadie that was made in the 1930's. In that movie a group of passengers on a tramp steamer are grounded for several days in Pago Pago while the ship undergoes repairs - the passengers begin to get very jumpy with the prolonged delay and Joan Crawford's character repeatedly complains about the constant rain on the island "doesn't it ever stop raining" ...

This October there has been 18 days of rain on Tutuila but somehow today wasn't one of them! Our weather was spectacular in the upper seventies with trade winds of about 25 miles per hour. These were conditions that highlighted the incredible natural beauty of this place. The island of Tutuila is about 32 miles in length and 5 miles across at its widest part. It's volcanic mountains rise out of the sea and are covered with a thick carpet of green tropical vegetation. Along the coast of the island is beach after beach after beach with white sands and large black volcanic rocks that rise out of the turquoise waters - and there are the constant rolling waves coming ashore ... a visual island paradise.

Our tour today was organized by a member of our cruise critic group. We were picked up at the pier and taken to a bus - typical Samoan style bus made of wood, covered but no glass in the windows (open air) and narrow seats. As Tisa, our guide, told us about the island the driver took us through town and then up to Tisa's Barefoot Bar for a pit stop. Later we would end up here for a Samoan feast - and as we filed in to use the bar's facilities we walked past the fire pit slowly smoking and covered with large leaves - hiding from us, for the time being, the feast that lay roasting below.

Tisa's husband then took us out on the bus to the end of the island regaling us with even more island stories, information and history. As we drove the green rainforest jungles were on one side of the road and the endless beaches on the other. We traveled through many small towns - property on the island can only be owned by Samoans and is passed on through families. The small towns are locally governed by "chiefs" as such crime is not a big issue.

The major source of income for the island is the tuna fishing and processing industry. Across the bay from the Amsterdam was the large "Starkist Samoa" tuna processing plant that employs about 2000 people and is the largest employer on the island. In front of the plant is a statue of "Charlie the Tuna" - and in the bay is a large fleet of fishing boats that supply the plant. As we passed the plant there were tuna workers out on break wearing their hair and beard nets and they smiled and waved at us with a friendly welcome - one that we encountered by locals all over the island. There are also large Japanese interests in the tuna industry there.

The island has underground electrical power and purified water. In 2009, however, the island experienced a large tsunami that destroyed many of the homes and buildings. The tsunami followed an earthquake that rumbled for a full minute and a half that was centered about 100 miles away. It has taken time but much of the damage has now been repaired.

We made a stop at a school that was built right on the ocean front between the beach and the highway. It consists of several two story buildings. We could see students walking around in their blue uniforms and hear the students singing in the classrooms. A beautiful setting. Apparently right after the earthquake in 2009 most residents knew to expect a tsunami. The protocol at the school at the time was to take the students up to the second floor classrooms. A neighbor of the school, an elderly gentleman was was retired from the Navy and knew that the conditions were right for a large tsunami, ran to the school and urged the principal to load the students onto their school buses and take them to higher ground. At first the principal was reluctant to do so without permissions but was quickly convinced that it was the right move. When the tsunami struck all the windows in the school were knocked out - if they had stayed probably most if not all of the children would have been lost.

After our drive through paradise we returned to Tisa's Bar. The bar is open air with a roof over most of it and it is built on a veranda that stretches out to the ocean. There we had time to swim and snorkel - but the tide was coming in and there were those large black rocks ... so we just walked along the shore. The water temperature today was 79 - summer is just starting down here so the ocean water will be warming. Last January the water around American Samoa reached temperatures of 97 degrees. They expect the same this summer and as a result they expect at least one hurricane.

After our swims it was time for the feast. We were taken over to watch the opening of the oven pit and the removal of the layers of food - first came the bananas, breadfruit, papayas baked with cinnamon, and coconut shells filled with vegetable and pork casseroles. Beneath in the pit lay the roasted turkey, pork and ham. The food was quickly set out and served up in traditional island style on "plates" that were, in fact, large plant leaves. We were told that this feast is typical of what the Samoan families prepare and eat on Sundays.

Eventually we returned to town and port. What a wonderful day this was.

Day 20 - Apia, Upolo, Samoa (or Western Samoa)

Today we had another encounter with that Date Line thing. Yesterday was Tuesday, October 20 - and today is Thursday, October 22. To make matters worse, as we have proceeded westward, we have also had several time changes, each time turning the clock "back" one hour - but in addition to losing Wed Oct 21, we turned our clocks "forward" one hour - even though we still appear to be rather west bound ... O, Father Time (or whatever convoluted demons that plot to manipulate our date and time reality) you have outdone yourself and confused me even more!

To add one more stroke of irony to the bubbling cauldron of time ... our son today reminded us that October 21, 2015 is "Back to the Future Day" - the day that Marty and Doc go to in the film "Back to the Future 2". Our son grew up expecting to be surrounded by flying cars and hover boards by now as reparations for his "advanced" age of 33. Well, my explanation that we do not have flying cars and hover boards is that we, on the good ship Amsterdam, have not experienced Oct 21, 2015, Back to the Future Day, and we never will. I cannot, however, explain why our son, who is having his Back to the Future Day does not have the expected floating and flying toys. But then, as I recall in our youth, we were promised that we would all be flying around on jet packs and we are still waiting for that.

So much for the oddities of Father Time ... today we are in Apia, Samoa - one of those gems of places around the world that I never that I would actually get to go to - and today is my second visit! Without HAL's wonderful itineraries this would have never come to be.

Our weather today was a little warmer than yesterday but we are still cooled by the trade winds and all is glorious. Last time we were here DH took a day at the beach tour, and I went to see the Robert Louis Stevenson House and museum. So this morning we hopped on the $2 shuttle to town and figured we would spend some time at the cultural center and then browse some of the shops. Well, we were snagged in town by a enterprising taxi driver who offered us an island tour for a lot less than anyone else had offered and we took the bait.

We got to spend a few hours driving the rural roads past small towns, lots of tropical vegetation, and bright red, orange and purple blossoms. It was very pleasant. Unlike Tutuila which has very little land that isn't rather vertical and steep, Upolo has significant area where the topography just gently rolls. We passed up on the Stevenson house since I had been there before and DH, well, he just isn't in to old stately homes.

We did, however, stop at the Bahai Temple - I have to admit that I had no idea there was a Bahai Temple in Samoa. I grew up in the Chicago area not far from its Bahai temple and spent many a quiet afternoon in my teens riding my bicycle up there and just sitting and enjoying the beauty and serenity of the Temple and its grounds. The Temple in Samoa did not disappoint. It is built on large well manicured grounds - and the sanctuary sits under a beautiful dome and is surrounded, inside, by the peaceful sayings of the Bahai. Here, we had to remove our shoes in order to enter which, somehow, even added to the serenity of the experience. I never seem to stop being surprised by things when I travel.

We also visited a stunningly high waterfall that trickles into a grotto that is so thickly carpeted with green vegetation and purple flowers and butter flies that one could almost imagine that if you fell into the grotto you could have a soft landing despite its great depth.

We were then driven through the area that was most impacted by the same 2009 tsunami that Tutuila experienced. Our driver showed us the areas that were covered with water and where the people had to go to be safe. There was loss of life on this island.

Our last stop was at an idyllic resort on Sinalei Beach (which also was taken out by the tsunami and then restored) that really made us wish we had a few days to unwind here. They have a stunning white sand beach and all of the features that one would expect in a luxury resort. Maybe next time.

We arrived back on the ship in just enough time to enjoy a lunch of Nasi Goreng in the main dining room. This evening we absorbed the setting sun and sail away from the Crow's Nest with David on the guitar.

At 7:15 we were surprised with a single show time live show - according to today's program we were only promised two showings of the relatively new Brian Wilson movie in the Queen's Lounge this evening - no live entertainment. An Australian comedian (whose name I have forgotten since he is not listed in the daily program) played with yo-yos, gyroscopes, and spinning tops for us. He finished the show with the largest spinning top we have ever seen. He was a good entertainer, he was funny and from our former science teacher perspective here it was perfect entertainment.

After dinner we arrived back in our cabin and met a large towel gorilla sitting on the bed with an open mouth filled with a bed time chocolate. Nice touch.

And, not to pester you too much with this time thing again ... you know that hour forward that we had to take last night even though we were still moving West? Well we are giving it "back" tonight as we sail into a new time zone and head for Suva, Fiji. Still lost that darn day though, and as I look at the Date and Time channel, our heading is still in the western directions. Go figure.

Day 19 - Pago Pago, Tutuila, American Samoa

................................ Apparently right after the earthquake in 2009 most residents knew to expect a tsunami. The protocol at the school at the time was to take the students up to the second floor classrooms. A neighbor of the school, an elderly gentleman was was retired from the Navy and knew that the conditions were right for a large tsunami, ran to the school and urged the principal to load the students onto their school buses and take them to higher ground. At first the principal was reluctant to do so without permissions but was quickly convinced that it was the right move. When the tsunami struck all the windows in the school were knocked out - if they had stayed probably most if not all of the children would have been lost.

That man, the ex-Navy neighbor, is a true hero!