SINGLE HSC/TIPPING THREAD (Previously "Why are gratuities not included in Fares?")

wannagonow123

Wasn't Buddha anti gambling? Described alcohol as a poison that clouds the mind.

If you knew about Buddhism, you know that there isn't a "Buddha" that defines what we do. Yes, Siddhārtha was a man who's teachings is what what the base of what we know as Buddhism today. In a nut shell, The Middle Way, 9 Virtues, The Noble Truths and the Eightfold path.

As a Buddhist, you find your right path to nirvana. And you don't judge others as to how the find that path.

I'm not going to judge you for not tipping, but I will impart my opinion on paying it forward. I see it as a good Karma to tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's probably an old figure. I don't mean to guilt anyone into tipping, but I often change my ways based on stories or people's experiences. From the other posters here, they probably aren't as easily swayed. When I learn of a situation, I take it into consideration.

I tip because I want to. I tip because I realize how hard they work and it's a manual job. They may get paid decently, but the bonus in tips could really make a difference to them, but to me, it's only a few extra dollars a day that I won't ever miss. But, knowing that they feel appreciated and that my extra dollar or two will help, I do it.

Other people may feel that what I wrote was guilting them, but if they feel guilty after reading a post, maybe they need to look hard and long at themselves.

Thanks for tour post!

Great comment mirrors our approach to a "T"!

Ditto. Some of the excuses are laughable. My feeling is that if you truly cannot afford the HSC, then pick a cheaper cruise or don't cruise at all. I hope that in my lifetime, HAL just adds the HSC to the price of the cruise so the whiners have to find something else to whine about.

Exactly! You've paid money to be on a cruise! What's a few dollars to show your appreciation? And I'm sorry, If tipping an extra $4 a day when you go on vacation, means the difference of a good retirement or not, you've got other problems.

The excuses or the defensiveness of people and whether or not posts change their minds is laughable. Isn't that why we are on this board? To hear from varying opinions on food, rooms, locations, policies, etc? As soon as someone posts something that someone else doesn't agree with, they are quick to pounce. It sounds like people on this board don't make decisions base on the Internet or posts, then why be on here? I don't believe or follow everything that is posted here or what I read elsewhere, but I do take it into consideration and if it works for me, I go with it.

If you knew about Buddhism, you know that there isn't a "Buddha" that defines what we do. Yes, Siddhārtha was a man who's teachings is what what the base of what we know as Buddhism today. In a nut shell, The Middle Way, 9 Virtues, The Noble Truths and the Eightfold path.

As a Buddhist, you find your right path to nirvana. And you don't judge others as to how the find that path.

I'm not going to judge you for not tipping, but I will impart my opinion on paying it forward. I see it as a good Karma to tip.

Thanks for imparting your opinion, I personally don't believe in karma or other spiritual concepts. I do believe in responsibility and fairness, hence I support a system where foreign workers employed by a US company be remunerated fairly and hence would prefer the HSC not be discretionary and be incorporated into my cruise fare. Same way I am happy to pay more in a restaurant in Australia knowing the staff are remunerated correctly.

As for karma I hope the fact that I have visited and spent considerable time and money in the countries the employees hail from helps .

Hi Karen, this is what I do, but you don't have to handle it this way. Anything above the HSC is absolutely at your discretion. I give each of our cabin stewards the same amount because they work together as a team. I put the money in an envelope for each one, with his/her name on each envelope.

Karin

Do you usually only at the end? I travel a lot for work and I like to a little tip each day to the cleaning staff. Should I wait until the end of the trip to tip? I don't miss the extra dollars each day, but maybe I should just collect up what I would normally give and save it? A big chunk at the ends always seems to take a hit in my mental pocket book more, I know, strange psychological thing.

I've heard weird things about stewards changing their ways when people tip early.

Do you usually only at the end? I travel a lot for work and I like to a little tip each day to the cleaning staff. Should I wait until the end of the trip to tip? I don't miss the extra dollars each day, but maybe I should just collect up what I would normally give and save it? A big chunk at the ends always seems to take a hit in my mental pocket book more, I know, strange psychological thing.

I've heard weird things about stewards changing their ways when people tip early.

I tip at the end of the cruise, or at the end of a segment (for example, a segment of the Grand Asia/South Pacific voyage, on which I cruised in 2014). But you know, do as you think best or what makes you comfortable. I don't think the crew care either way:)

Just a comment on hotel tipping...I've read many times that tips for the cleaners should be left daily and not at the end, as a variety of staff will be doing the cleaning...not necessarily the same person every day. As for stewards, I tip extra at the end.

Just a comment on hotel tipping...I've read many times that tips for the cleaners should be left daily and not at the end, as a variety of staff will be doing the cleaning...not necessarily the same person every day. As for stewards, I tip extra at the end.

If it's Hal the same two Cabin Stewards clean your stateroom everyday but with that said we still consider an additional tip at cruise end. They are assigned a block of rooms in their area, many rooms!

If you feel like tipping extra, tip early and through out your cruise.

Several cruises ago we dined in the Pinnacle grill one night. It was the absolute best dining experience we had ever had all made excellent by our wonderful waitress. She was open, warm and inviting and really elevated the evening. I decided I would wait to tip at the end of the cruise as I wanted to also include a note thanking her for the wonderful service. I had read on CC that crew appreciate being signalled out for providing great service.

Two days later we dined again in the PG during lunch. We had the same server but not the same level of service. The waitress was cold and aloof. The service was perfunctory at best and lacking in some areas. I actually had to check the server's name tag to make sure that it was the same server.

The last day before the end of the cruise I did follow through with a hand written note that included a tip for the wonderful evening service that was provided. I made sure to hand deliver the note to the PG Manager and asked that he pass it on to the server.

I left that cruise feeling that the less than service at lunch was due to my not providing an extra tip during my first visit. I experienced first hand the negative effects of not providing an extra tip. Even though an extra tip was not required, in practice it obviously was to enjoy a certain level of service.

To those who claim that your providing an extra tip is no business to anyone else, I would argue that it is. An "unofficial" practice of providing extra tips is affecting service when it the extra tip is not provided.

I wish that HAL would mandate that crew be forbidden to accept any extra tips from passengers and that those passengers who wish to provide an extra tip be instructed to increase their HSC.

Several cruises ago we dined in the Pinnacle grill one night. It was the absolute best dining experience we had ever had all made excellent by our wonderful waitress. She was open, warm and inviting and really elevated the evening. I decided I would wait to tip at the end of the cruise as I wanted to also include a note thanking her for the wonderful service. I had read on CC that crew appreciate being signalled out for providing great service.

Two days later we dined again in the PG during lunch. We had the same server but not the same level of service. The waitress was cold and aloof. The service was perfunctory at best and lacking in some areas. I actually had to check the server's name tag to make sure that it was the same server.

The last day before the end of the cruise I did follow through with a hand written note that included a tip for the wonderful evening service that was provided. I made sure to hand deliver the note to the PG Manager and asked that he pass it on to the server.

I left that cruise feeling that the less than service at lunch was due to my not providing an extra tip during my first visit. I experienced first hand the negative effects of not providing an extra tip. Even though an extra tip was not required, in practice it obviously was to enjoy a certain level of service.

To those who claim that your providing an extra tip is no business to anyone else, I would argue that it is. An "unofficial" practice of providing extra tips is affecting service when it the extra tip is not provided.

I wish that HAL would mandate that crew be forbidden to accept any extra tips from passengers and that those passengers who wish to provide an extra tip be instructed to increase their HSC.

Really?

You think the servers attitude was a direct response to not receiving an on the spot tip 2 days previously?

It goes to show that those who choose not to top extra are not the ones on this thread feeling guilty [emoji1]

I don't need to be dictated to regarding how I choose to tip. We've had great stewards. I usually give a small amount that I tell them is a down payment when I tell them our preferences, then the balance at cruise end. I do the same with our favorite bartenders and pool waiters, etc. We get excellent service and it pleases me to hand out envelopes at cruise end.

I not sure how much my tipping does for our quality of service, but I do think that the effort I make to engage the staff, remember their names, ask about their families, etc., makes a big difference. When I hand an unexpected envelope to one of the staff at cruise end, with a thank you for making our cruise so pleasurable, the smile on their face is priceless.

I not sure how much my tipping does for our quality of service, but I do think that the effort I make to engage the staff, remember their names, ask about their families, etc., makes a big difference. When I hand an unexpected envelope to one of the staff at cruise end, with a thank you for making our cruise so pleasurable, the smile on their face is priceless.

Well said, my sentiments exactly.

We love giving extra tips throughout the cruise. The smiles and appreciation are priceless. :D

Of course engaging the staff and asking personal details makes a big difference. Smart servers know that an effective way to increase your chances of getting a tip is to build rapport with the customer. A customer that does that for you simply makes it all that much more easier.

We love giving extra tips throughout the cruise. The smiles and appreciation are priceless. :D

Thanks. I'll do a little of both - give a few dollars a day, and a little bonus at the end based on overall service level (while keeping the base HSC in the account).

This site has been great. I'm going with a group this summer, 8 have traveled HAL previously and never thought to ask about extra tipping. They never looked into it. They will now take it into consideration and may tip in addition.

I'll let you all know how it goes this summer!

Of course engaging the staff and asking personal details makes a big difference. Smart servers know that an effective way to increase your chances of getting a tip is to build rapport with the customer. A customer that does that for you simply makes it all that much more easier.

The social science studies on tipping are fascinating. It's interesting how people can think that they won't be persuaded to tip more because they are offered a mint after dinner, for example, but those little touches can have a huge effect on tips.

I tip what the cruise line suggests and occasionally tip for superior service. I don't tip to get a big smile.

The social science studies on tipping are fascinating. It's interesting how people can think that they won't be persuaded to tip more because they are offered a mint after dinner, for example, but those little touches can have a huge effect on tips.

I tip what the cruise line suggests and occasionally tip for superior service. I don't tip to get a big smile.

The smile is a bonus.

Yes, I do too. I will try for a reason. Leave a little card and envelope on the bed with something...

"Many thanks all your work. Hope you get a chance to get ashore tomorrow!"

Something along this. The server knows that it is likely to continue till the end of the cruise. It is a win win situation.

A kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted! :)

Maybe it's semantics, but I don't view tipping as a kindness. :confused: It's essentially a business transaction. Money is being exchanged for services. You (a general "you") may prefer to think that a tip in excess of the cruise line's minimum cements some sort of personal relationship with the steward/employee, but it probably doesn't.

I'd smile, too, if someone handed me money. :)

Maybe it's semantics, but I don't view tipping as a kindness. :confused: It's essentially a business transaction. Money is being exchanged for services. You (a general "you") may prefer to think that a tip in excess of the cruise line's minimum cements some sort of personal relationship with the steward/employee, but it probably doesn't.

Nicely put....

Of course it's a business transaction, but with an altruistic side to it. When I know someone has left their home and family for 6 months to make a better life, I don't mind helping them reach their goals. The extra tips are often the difference that allows them to provide things for their families that we take for granted.