SINGLE HSC/TIPPING THREAD (Previously "Why are gratuities not included in Fares?")

wannagonow123

"Try to keep the cruise experience as cash-less as possible, FOR ALL CONCERNED." ??? I don't understand how keeping the cruise cash-less (i.e. TIP-LESS) is a plus for ALL concerned. For the passenger, maybe so. For the crew member delivering your (possibly heavy) tray, NOT SO MUCH.

I do not tip (nor does anyone I know) because I believe we will get better service if we tip. We tip because we APPRECIATE the effort put in to make my vacation more enjoyable.

"Buy your way" to the head of the line??? Are you serious? Do you really think that I believe my $3 tip is going to make a crew member grab my tray before any others and RUN it to my room? Regardless of how long I wait for my food, I will tip the "runner" because he is going to bring it to me whenever it happens to be ready. He will serve it with a cheerful greeting and a smile and I will cheerfully hand him a few dollars in appreciation.

If you choose not to tip, that is certainly your prerogative. However, please do not imply that those of us who do are trying to buy our way to the head of the line or are giving a bribe for better service. Some of us are just appreciative of the hard work shown by others that makes our cruise experience great!

Darn, I should have save my responses for this post - I think this sums it up, totally. Betting that's how the majority of us view it.

Tip as much as you can. I just finished reading the "Cruise Confidential" blog. A few dollars every opportunity you can will make a huge difference in the lives you encounter. You've paid a good sum to be on the ship, what's a few dollars every time someone delivers food, cleans your room, makes you a drink, or does something nice for you? It's maybe an extra $10 a day on top of auto tips? That's two Starbucks drinks.

>SNIP<

I learned a long time ago that being harangued by random strangers on the internet influences no one's behaviour.

As for "what's a few dollars every time"? Well, let's see. If cruisers are paying the HSC, they have met their obligations. And that "few dollars every time" can add up to a substantial amount of money. Some people need to be mindful of that. I was appalled to hear that a friend (who was at the time in danger of losing her home to foreclosure) had the biggest, fanciest cell phone plan she could get, with the reasoning "It's only $40 more per month" (just a "few dollars", right?) So while you may feel those few dollars are unimportant, not everyone has that luxury.

(and yes, we tip above and beyond. That is a choice DH and I make for ourselves, not because of anything on the internet)

Edited by CowPrincess

Never thought of "buying my way" into what!?!? $2 can do that? My room service guy owes me then.....other than seeing my head looking like methusila before my first cup of coffee:confused:

and in my case - no makeup as well.:eek::eek:

I learned a long time ago that being harangued by random strangers on the internet influences no one's behaviour ... and yes, we tip above and beyond. That is a choice DH and I make for ourselves, not because of anything on the internet.

I agree 110% with your post, especially when those harangues come from the "usuual suspects", that is, the serial posters who always know what's best for everyone else. Thanks for being a voice of reason.

I learned a long time ago that being harangued by random strangers on the internet influences no one's behaviour.

<snip>

I missed this the first time around, but you are absolutely right - it only reflects on the "haranguer" (is that a word?)

As for "what's a few dollars every time"? Well, let's see. If cruisers are paying the HSC, they have met their obligations. And that "few dollars every time" can add up to a substantial amount of money. Some people need to be mindful of that. I was appalled to hear that a friend (who was at the time in danger of losing her home to foreclosure) had the biggest, fanciest cell phone plan she could get, with the reasoning "It's only $40 more per month" (just a "few dollars", right?) So while you may feel those few dollars are unimportant, not everyone has that luxury.

(and yes, we tip above and beyond. That is a choice DH and I make for ourselves, not because of anything on the internet)

As I used to say to many in my former life - "Money is a tool. Use it wisely, take care of it and it will last for many years. Use it poorly and and the tool will be useless soon and it will use you rather than you use it. You choose how you want to treat and use it".

Edited by kazu

• 3 weeks later...
Yes. And the cost of your ticket price is a lot higher than HAL, Costa, Princess, Cunard, Carnival etc.

Do you want to have it included on your ticket they could... and used to... even at HAL. You want a higher ticket price just to be able to say it is 'included'?

Let's get real. There are tips, and then there are service charges. They are not the same thing. At all. "Obligatory tipping" is an oxímoron, because tips are, by definition, voluntary. For me personally, the practice of tipping is nauseating, it makes me feel like a plantation "massa" tossing coins to the darkies. It is a degrading practice for all concerned.

For me personally, the practice of tipping is nauseating, it makes me feel like a plantation "massa" tossing coins to the darkies. It is a degrading practice for all concerned.

Then you should never, ever dine out in the United States. The chances of being in a place where tipping is not expected is rare, indeed.

Edited by RuthC

Let's get real. There are tips, and then there are service charges. They are not the same thing. At all. "Obligatory tipping" is an oxímoron, because tips are, by definition, voluntary. For me personally, the practice of tipping is nauseating, it makes me feel like a plantation "massa" tossing coins to the darkies. It is a degrading practice for all concerned.

What today is called "Service Charge" replaced what used to be "Tipping" at the end of a cruise even if Hal advertised a "No Tipping Policy". Passengers would run around giving envelopes, maybe, of "Tip" money to their favorite crew members, crazy! I for one like today's practice of the HSC and if I choose to add to that amount that's my choice, I call it a "Tip" for above and beyond the call of service.

...even if Hal advertised a "No Tipping Policy".

Before HAL introduced the Hotel Service Charge, the policy was "No Tipping Required", not "No Tipping". The two are not the same, as there are some lines where "No Tipping" (as in, at all) is the policy. Yes, many (most?) of us did hand out tip envelopes that last night or two.

Then you should never, ever dine out in the United States. The chances of being in a place where tipping is not expected is rare, indeed.

I know this because I recently had to travel to the U.S. on business, and like all my European friends, was disgusted at the aggressive "service charge masquerading as tips". I lived in the U.S. until the 1960s, and this ugly game did NOT exist. I guess at some point businessmen realized they could save a lot of money if they enforced tipping. Did you know there are countries where tipping of any kind is against the law?

Before HAL introduced the Hotel Service Charge, the policy was "No Tipping Required", not "No Tipping". The two are not the same, as there are some lines where "No Tipping" (as in, at all) is the policy. Yes, many (most?) of us did hand out tip envelopes that last night or two.

Ruth I think we are in agreement it's all semantics as it was Tipping, which rewards great service.

Did you know there are countries where tipping of any kind is against the law?

Of course I do. :rolleyes: I also know where it is not the custom to tip in many countries, while in others it is the norm to leave the loose change on the table.

This is all part of being a traveler, as opposed to a tourist. It is also part of showing respect for the customs of the place you are at the time.

While in the US, and while on a HAL ship, tipping (or leaving a Service Charge) is customary.

Tipping has been customary in the US since before I was born---which was a long time before the 60s. Nothing new there.

Edited by RuthC

Simple.

It is so that they can advertise the lowest possible fares. Not much different than many airlines.

When one does it, they all feel the need to do it so their fares can appear competitive to the casual viewer.

The previous policy was "Tipping Not Required," not "No Tipping Required." The difference is really nuanced but to some it is meaningful.

Edited by Host Walt

The previous policy was "Tipping Not Required," not "No Tipping Required." The difference is really nuanced but to some it is meaningful.

Understand Walt maybe the phrase was not worded correctly but those of us that have cruised with Hal for many years have witnessed the change and understand the reasoning why but some have their own opinions of "Tipping" period. I am certainly aware of their previous policy and believe in their present policy, thus we keep cruising with Hal because they do what is best for their crew and fair to passengers.

Did not want to create issues only explain the policy, sorry if It was I that your comment is directed toward!

... I am certainly aware of their previous policy and believe in their present policy, thus we keep cruising with Hal because they do what is best for their crew and fair to passengers.

I agree. The "Tipping Not Required" policy was, for us, a lousy official policy because it was unclear to us, on our first cruise on HAL back in 1987, whether, and if so, how much, to tip and would it cause a problem to the HAL staff if they accepted a gratuity.

For those who were Cruise Critic members back when Tipping Not Required was the stated policy, you'll remember how tipping posts used up a ton of bytes on the HAL boards.

Personally, I really like the new HSC approach because it's easy to deal with and, if we want, we can give an additional amount to those who provided special service. We no longer need to ask whether we tipped enough when we disembark.

I know this because I recently had to travel to the U.S. on business, and like all my European friends, was disgusted at the aggressive "service charge masquerading as tips". I lived in the U.S. until the 1960s, and this ugly game did NOT exist. I guess at some point businessmen realized they could save a lot of money if they enforced tipping. Did you know there are countries where tipping of any kind is against the law?

As someone who lives in the US, I am not aware of a lot of 'aggressive "service charge masquerading as tips"'. Care to elaborate where you encountered this?

I agree. The "Tipping Not Required" policy was, for us, a lousy official policy because it was unclear to us, on our first cruise on HAL back in 1987, whether, and if so, how much, to tip and would it cause a problem to the HAL staff if they accepted a gratuity.

For those who were Cruise Critic members back when Tipping Not Required was the stated policy, you'll remember how tipping posts used up a ton of bytes on the HAL boards.

Personally, I really like the new HSC approach because it's easy to deal with and, if we want, we can give an additional amount to those who provided special service. We no longer need to ask whether we tipped enough when we disembark.

Agree totally as we started with Hal in 86 but unfortunately the "Tipping and HSC" issue still exists on the boards today and gets misconstrued and misinterpreted by many.

We have many decorated Dutch Hats as a result of "Tipping" the bar staff in the old days, fond memories for great cruises and service!

We are up to 13 pages of people worrying about what other people do! Let's sum this up - you can have the Service Charge removed, lowered, or increased if you so desire. If you don't want to tip, don't. Just don't give me all your reasons to justify your choice. While it's your choice to be disgusted at the practice of tipping, my choice might be to share some of my good fortune with those who have made my cruise a great experience. Either way, it's no one's business but the two parties involved.

Ruth, you are the voice of reason as always.

We are up to 13 pages of people worrying about what other people do! Let's sum this up - you can have the Service Charge removed, lowered, or increased if you so desire. If you don't want to tip, don't. Just don't give me all your reasons to justify your choice. While it's your choice to be disgusted at the practice of tipping, my choice might be to share some of my good fortune with those who have made my cruise a great experience. Either way, it's no one's business but the two parties involved...

Well said, blizzardboy.

Edited by avian777

We are up to 13 pages of people worrying about what other people do! Let's sum this up - you can have the Service Charge removed, lowered, or increased if you so desire. If you don't want to tip, don't. Just don't give me all your reasons to justify your choice. While it's your choice to be disgusted at the practice of tipping, my choice might be to share some of my good fortune with those who have made my cruise a great experience. Either way, it's no one's business but the two parties involved.

Ruth, you are the voice of reason as always.

Well said!