SINGLE HSC/TIPPING THREAD (Previously "Why are gratuities not included in Fares?")

wannagonow123

Yes, it was on HAL and in fact one of the cruises was on the Nieuw Amsterdam cruising the Mediterranean with friends in 2013 who were also told the same thing and who gave their cabin stewards a scarf and a SIM card.
I don't what your cabin stewards' motives were for lying to you, but please refer to post #133 of this thread.

On HAL? :eek: If so, that goes against everything I've ever heard in 10 years on this forum and 14 years of cruising HAL! Namely: (1) stewards can keep cash as long as the HSC is not altered and (2) they don't want stuff they have to store in a small cabin and then haul home at the end of their contract!

Agree and not just on HAL.

• 4 weeks later...
It's included in the auto-gratuities but we normally give a few extra euros.

Room Service is not included in the Daily Gratuities it is usually an extra, at least we treat it as such[emoji41]

Edited by mllewis48

The stewards who deliver room service are included in the HSC pool.

That's what I've always seen communicated. If I'm ordering A LOT from room service I will usually tip since I'm requiring more from the department, but usually it's no more than the occasional late night sandwich or a midday snack with a shrimp caesar salad

That's what I've always seen communicated. If I'm ordering A LOT from room service I will usually tip since I'm requiring more from the department, but usually it's no more than the occasional late night sandwich or a midday snack with a shrimp caesar salad

Those that bring morning breakfast, etc deserve and appreciate the extra gratuity, they get the lesser % than the DR and Cabin Stewards get!

No, tipping for room service. It is an included dining option. Try to keep the cruise experience as cash-less as possible, for all concerned. Staff shares the "hospitality" fee at the end. Don't believe stories about getting better service if you tip. Not a good practice anyway to try and "buy your way" to the head of the line.

We've always tipped for rm service whether they were in the HSC pool or not. Not to go ahead of the line or to get better service, but because we appreciate the additional service they provide.

To the OP: I would think as someone else mentioned: US dollars because the ship operates in that currency, but I'm sure they would appreciate anything.

No, tipping for room service. It is an included dining option. Try to keep the cruise experience as cash-less as possible, for all concerned. Staff shares the "hospitality" fee at the end. Don't believe stories about getting better service if you tip. Not a good practice anyway to try and "buy your way" to the head of the line.

Sorry I totally disagree. The DR and Cabin Stewards get the bulk of your daily gratuities. The rest go to the "behind the scenes folks" which include those that deliver your room service as well as the deck crew etc.

By giving the room service folks a couple bucks when delivering our food we do not treat that as "buying our way to the head of the line"! These folks work hard for their $ and they deserve it, period!

Those that bring morning breakfast, etc deserve and appreciate the extra gratuity, they get the lesser % than the DR and Cabin Stewards get!

And likely the heavier more obnoxious trays with a little of everything, each on its own plate.

We very rarely do room service breakfast... I'm too obsessed with the eggs benedict station in the lido when onboard :)

Sorry I totally disagree. The DR and Cabin Stewards get the bulk of your daily gratuities. The rest go to the "behind the scenes folks" which include those that deliver your room service as well as the deck crew etc.

By giving the room service folks a couple bucks when delivering our food we do not treat that as "buying our way to the head of the line"! These folks work hard for their $ and they deserve it, period!

I agree no one is 'buying our way to the head of the line' to tip a room service steward a little something when they bring our order. We appreciate the friendly nice service and have always been happy to say an extra thank you in the universally accepted manner...... a tip. :)

I agree no one is 'buying our way to the head of the line' to tip a room service steward a little something when they bring our order. We appreciate the friendly nice service and have always been happy to say an extra thank you in the universally accepted manner...... a tip. :)

Amen!

The DR and Cabin Stewards get the bulk of your daily gratuities. The rest go to the "behind the scenes folks" which include those that deliver your room service as well as the deck crew etc.
The stewards that deliver room service are not a distinct group. On occasion I have seen our evening MDR steward delivering room service or working in the Lido during breakfast or lunch. They are not part of the "behind the scenes" group.

Edited by jtl513

The stewards that deliver room service are not a distinct group. On occasion I have seen our evening MDR steward delivering room service or working in the Lido during breakfast or lunch. They are not part of the "behind the scenes" group.

On over 35 cruises with Hal we have NEVER seen our DR Steward deliver Room Service, usually Lido attendants or DR Attendants!