Which side of the ship?

petefoss

On the inside passage, you have views on both sides. Ships do not sail "coastal" on the southern end any longer, where you would only have views on one side.

However if this is a one way cruise, you do have coastal views- of various distance (again, haven't had the coastal sailings of years )), going north starboard, south, port.

IF you ONLY want to view Glacier Bay from your cabin- then port side is superior, as the commentary and views match up. I have also found that I have experienced- many times- a longer port view of the Margerie compared to the starboard. (one time the starboard had NO view (: )

Out of Vancouver I tend to prefer the starboard side. However some will argue that the port side is better on your glacier day and they have a point but most veteran Alaska cruisers will tell if you really want to take in the scenery of Alaska and the glacier you need to be out on deck moving around. Bottom line....side doesn't matter.

We are booked on princess in June and have a question for the veterans. We have a balcony on the left side of the ship. Keep it or try to move to the right side?

It doesn't matter...there will be views from everywhere...book the cabin that is the most convenient to things you want to do on the ship.

We prefer the true afts (love the corners) or mid-ship regardless of where we're sailing.

I tend to book portside but that's just a personal preference.

Star Princess Off the Beaten Path. Vancouver - Ketchikan - Juneau - Skagway - Whittier. Then 6 days on land (Copper River, Denali and Mt. McKinley lodges).

Both will have their advantages during the cruise but on a northbound cruise, I tend to recommend the starboard side. It'll make a difference on your last day.

• 3 weeks later...

We ended up moving to the right side of the ship. Wife called to talk to them and the offered to move us to an accessible room on the right side that looks quite a bit bigger on the deck plan than the rooms around it?

We ended up moving to the right side of the ship. Wife called to talk to them and the offered to move us to an accessible room on the right side that looks quite a bit bigger on the deck plan than the rooms around it?

So you're booked starboard side. Just something to consider..unless you need the accessible cabin...it could be taken away if someone that truly needs this category cabin books ...Never the less...best of luck and enjoy.

As the husband of a woman who has MS and travels in a wheelchair quite frankly I am shocked to learn that an accessible cabin would be allocated to able bodied people this early in the sales campaign. I don't blame you, normally you have to attest that you need such a cabin and if you don't but say you do there can be issues...so if you weren't asked that by the Princess agent then shame on them. You are occupying a cabin that disabled person may need or can't cruise.

I was a bit surprised they offered it up. My boss for over 25 years was handicapped and I got used to looking at the world through his eyes in case we traveled together. Btw one reason we got it is, it's not early on the season for Alaska. The ship is booked solid according to the person my wife talked to.