Pit Bull to be Godfather of Escape??

SuiteCruiser

I wasn't thrilled with Disney's choice of Mariah Carey when the Fantasy debuted but I still sailed the ship and enjoyed it. ((I don't care for her music, can't stand her voice, at the time she didn't have the best reputation in her personal life, and didn't even have any hit songs to make her relative to that specific time. She was in no way relative to the company, the theme of the ship, nothing. Zip. Zero. Nadda. But whatever. Their ship. Their choice.))

Excellent points Sweetpee

What's the big deal. Who cares who they pick. It's one ceremony then just a picture and a plaque on the ship. Then forgotten about.

It's as meaningless as arguing about it. It's not like they chose the current Isis leader... Pitbull is an entertainer. Half the any ships god mother or father are not even part of pop culture anymore.

Here is a link to Wikipedia. It's only a partial list. Two of them are ex cons. Sophia Loren & Martha Stewart for example.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_sponsor#Passenger_Ship_Godmothers

Ms. Loren was cleared of tax evasion in 2013 by Italy's Supreme Court (see below).

"At long last, Sophia Loren can say, "Arrivederci!" to a legal dispute with Italian tax authorities that began 39 years ago.

Italy's Supreme Court has finally cleared Loren of tax evasion charges that began with her 1974 tax return and landed her in a low-security women's prison for 17 days in 1982.

Loren called the ruling "a miracle of justice," and told Italian reporters, "[When] it seems there is no longer any hope, it is still possible justice will be done."

Just another angry, snarky, culturally ignorant thread criticizing Norwegian, this time for making a smart, savvy choice for a godfather to Escape. If you don't know who Pitbull is, or like his music, or if you don't like Miami (i.e. the cruise capital of the world and Norwegian's world headquarters), then perhaps you aren't in a place to understand Norwegian's choice. However, Pitbull is relevant to many, many people, and his music is very popular.

Los Angeles Times: "The musician, performer, business entrepreneur, fashion icon and actor has sold more than 5 million albums and 60 million singles worldwide."

Miami.com: "Tick-tock. Pitbull is back on countdown duty. He’ll play Dick Clark-Miami style again this year for Fox-TV’s live countdown to 2016. Pitbull’s New Year’s Eve Revolution is reportedly set for for Bayfront Park. ... Mr. Worldwide and Fox have another deal going: The network wants him to executive produce a TV show."

I applaud Norwegian's choice. It makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons. Criticize and make snarky comments all you like, but if you want folks at Norwegian to consider your thoughts, it's likely helpful if you first consider Norwegian's perspective.

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

It makes no difference anyway but I think it devalues the idea of a godmother/godfather when you just chose a business partner. He performed for NCL, made a deal with NCL for his vodka brand and now he is the godfather of the Escape who knows if that was not even part of one of the contracts.

Just another angry, snarky, culturally ignorant thread criticizing Norwegian, this time for making a smart, savvy choice for a godfather to Escape. If you don't know who Pitbull is, or like his music, or if you don't like Miami (i.e. the cruise capital of the world and Norwegian's world headquarters), then perhaps you aren't in a place to understand Norwegian's choice. However, Pitbull is relevant to many, many people, and his music is very popular.

Los Angeles Times: "The musician, performer, business entrepreneur, fashion icon and actor has sold more than 5 million albums and 60 million singles worldwide."

Miami.com: "Tick-tock. Pitbull is back on countdown duty. He’ll play Dick Clark-Miami style again this year for Fox-TV’s live countdown to 2016. Pitbull’s New Year’s Eve Revolution is reportedly set for for Bayfront Park. ... Mr. Worldwide and Fox have another deal going: The network wants him to executive produce a TV show."

I applaud Norwegian's choice. It makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons. Criticize and make snarky comments all you like, but if you want folks at Norwegian to consider your thoughts, it's likely helpful if you first consider Norwegian's perspective.

Wow...I think you should get a mirror and see who is cranky. :)

There has been some discussion here, certainly not real anger and the name calling started with you.

We are allowed our own opinions about this; just because you happen to think this is a great choice other's may not and really don't need to consider NCL's perspective. It is just a discussion; please be respectful of others.

I'm very surprised it wasn't Jimmy Buffett.

The Future Cruise Sales team on Jewel a couple weeks ago said that they would all but bet it was gonna be Jimmy Buffett.

Pitbull makes sense though... more surprised they went with a godFATHER than who the specific individual is

It makes no difference anyway but I think it devalues the idea of a godmother/godfather when you just chose a business partner. He performed for NCL, made a deal with NCL for his vodka brand and now he is the godfather of the Escape who knows if that was not even part of one of the contracts.

They are buddies, and that's how FDR works. He's part of the friends and family plan at NCL.

image.png?w=400&c=1

The Future Cruise Sales team on Jewel a couple weeks ago said that they would all but bet it was gonna be Jimmy Buffett.

Pitbull makes sense though... more surprised they went with a godFATHER than who the specific individual is

If I was a betting girl, I'd say he was asked and declined ... Who knows though.

Wow such anger on both sides. Gee whiz everyone calm down.

For the record every Godmother Godfather NCL has announced I am not crazy about :eek:

Pitbull a nice guy and has some talent. But I agree without sampling aka stealing music no one would have heard of him.

He was there at the Getaway party and was in the NCL Getaway commercial. They are giving it a Miami stamp.

Now this has been announced, I can finally come forward that I wanted to be Godfather of Escape but NCL turned me down :( David_sobe would have been so cool and so Miami :)

Edited by david_sobe

For the record every Godmother Godfather NCL has announced I am not crazy about :eek:

Pitbull a nice guy and has some talent. But I agree without sampling aka stealing music no one would have heard of him.

He was there at the Getaway party and was in the NCL Getaway commercial. They are giving it a Miami stamp.

Now this has been announced, I can finally come forward that I wanted to be Godfather of Escape but NCL turned me down :( David_sobe would have been so cool and so Miami :)

And post of the day goes to...David Sobe!!! :)

I would have voted for you :)

I'm sorry to ask, but what does this mean?

Not much. You might see some pictures of him onboard and perhaps they'll push his Vodka in some of the bars, but otherwise I don't think the godparent of a ship has ever had an impact on any cruise I've been on. I was unaware that Reba McCintire was the godmother for the Epic until after my second cruise on her (the ship, not Reba).

While I don't care for Pitbull's music, he's always come off as a generally good guy. He does a lot of stuff for the community and even followed through when 4chan managed to have him sent to a Walmart in Alaska for some contest. Generally speaking, it's just sort of a way to add some hype to a ship launch. It doesn't really matter in the long run.

You have my vote.

PB performed at Bayfront Park here in Miami last New Year's Eve and the crowd ate it up.....the young crowd, that is. I can't stand listening to his rap bs but he seems to have a popular following, none the less. NCL is obviously appealing to the younger market and they'll probably get it with this publicity.

Times have a changed and I guess I'm slipping further behind every day. Who'd ever thought a rapper would be christening a ship.....good heavens.

We're going to be hearing a lot more from Pitbull. He has also signed a deal with Omnicom and BBDO in recent weeks. Very interesting since Omnicom & BBDO are the two of the three new advertising agency's NCL has recently hired.

One can only come to the conclusion that NCL is heavily going to target millennials. Very aggressively looking to lower the current target demo average age.

Say goodbye to "Let's Go" and say hello to Pit Bull singing in the new ads to debut during Super Bowl 50.

After a recent cruise on the Breakaway, I totally agree that NCL is targeting a younger demographic.

Although my DH and I are 64 and 62, we are active seniors with a young thinking mind set. That being said, we quickly realized that NCL would not be a preferred cruise line and we will return to Princess,where we feel more comfortable. We are not interested in rope courses,water slides,rock walls, or shows such as Rock of Ages. We chose the Breakaway because it sailed from NYC to Bermuda, not for the offerings on that cruise ship.

Considering marketing, NCL is going for a younger consumer because they have many years ahead to show loyalty to NCL as a preferred cruise line.

Baby Boomers,realistically speaking, have limited years to continue to travel. Corporations follow the money!

PB performed at Bayfront Park here in Miami last New Year's Eve and the crowd ate it up.....the young crowd, that is. I can't stand listening to his rap bs but he seems to have a popular following, none the less. NCL is obviously appealing to the younger market and they'll probably get it with this publicity.

Times have a changed and I guess I'm slipping further behind every day. Who'd ever thought a rapper would be christening a ship.....good heavens.

I do agree Rap is Crap, hey that rhymes I can rap. I'll be a white Jewish middle aged pot bellied rapper. I think I'll call myself " Erectile Disfunction" or ED for short. YO, YO, YO[emoji79]