Free Gratuities ~ How Do The Staff Get Renumerated

Wren3

When a passenger gets free gratuities on a booking, how do the staff get remunerated for their work if they don't get the gratuities that would have been generated?

The staff still get gratuities . You'll probably notice that prices are raised when gratuities and other things are included.

When a passenger gets free gratuities on a booking, how do the staff get remunerated for their work if they don't get the gratuities that would have been generated?

I don't have a clue, or even a wild guess, but whatever it is, it must be working because the staff always seems satisfied and happy to be working with Oceania, as evidenced by the familiar faces we often see.

I don't have a clue, or even a wild guess, but whatever it is, it must be working because the staff always seems satisfied and happy to be working with Oceania, as evidenced by the familiar faces we often see.

Actually pretty simple how cruise lines take care of included gratuities. They pay their staff more than those lines where people tip and that covers the loss from people paying their gratuities.

Bottom line for most people is how much money they "take home". There really are probably not gratuities as we know them going to the staff in envelopes. Their salary is simply calculated to provide the same take home pay which actually helps some staff if the ship isn't full, they still take home the same amount and don't lose money from empty cabins.

That said, some staff on Oceania like bar staff still depend on the tips that are added to the drinks.

Actually pretty simple how cruise lines take care of included gratuities. They pay their staff more than those lines where people tip and that covers the loss from people paying their gratuities.

Bottom line for most people is how much money they "take home". There really are probably not gratuities as we know them going to the staff in envelopes. Their salary is simply calculated to provide the same take home pay which actually helps some staff if the ship isn't full, they still take home the same amount and don't lose money from empty cabins.

That said, some staff on Oceania like bar staff still depend on the tips that are added to the drinks.

This post almost sounds like;

"Kind of like them having inside knowledge to the financial and other private workings of NCLH and PCH."

Huh? Just saying.

I love the concept of 'gratuities included - tips are neither solicited nor expected' as it relieves me of the anxiety of filling envelopes on the last day of the cruise & trying to get the money right. Plus - it's more fair, as the cruise line has determined up front what is right for their staff to receive & they've compensated them accordingly.

AND...I do not tip up beyond the gratuities that are included unless the circumstances are extraordinary - TRULY personal service outside the norm. What a horror I must be & how selfish! I just believe that the cruise line has determined what is right for their staff & they know what they have to do to retain a dedicated staff. If the amount needs to be higher, the cruise line will raise the price of the cruise. Trust me in this.

I love the concept of 'gratuities included - tips are neither solicited nor expected' as it relieves me of the anxiety of filling envelopes on the last day of the cruise & trying to get the money right. .

I do not recall Oceania having the envelope system

The suggested daily gratuities have always been added to the shipboard account

I could be mistaken & someone will correct if I am wrong ;)

I am guessing with the PPG promo the cruise line probably sets aside the amount normally charged to your SBA

they pay the crew the set amount of the gratuity same as when the promo is not in place

I am just guessing so not sure if this is the case but the we see the same crew members year after year so they must be getting $$ from someplace ;)

I do not recall Oceania having the envelope system

The suggested daily gratuities have always been added to the shipboard account

I could be mistaken & someone will correct if I am wrong ;)

They do not have an envelope system since your gratuities are paid by you or your TA or included by O but that does not stop many of us from generosity tipping additionally. We feel that great service from waiters, room attendants and most of all butlers deserve extra thanks.

They do not have an envelope system since your gratuities are paid by you or your TA or included by O but that does not stop many of us from generosity tipping additionally. We feel that great service from waiters, room attendants and most of all butlers deserve extra thanks.

please read my post again

I never said they had envelopes I was replying to another poster see post #12

Of course many people tip extra by personal choice

Edited by LHT28

Reception has plain envelopes available for the asking.

I was actually referring to when using them was the standard method for tipping on a cruise, not as an addition.

I think we're starting to push the envelope here.:cool:

Edited by ORV

Nobody mentioned envelopes except me & I was going back to cruises from years ago when they passed them out on EVERY line. We were young cruisers then & the pressure of doing the right thing was terrible!

Trust me -- you are in fact paying for the gratuities in the price of your cruise as Oceania has determined what they want their crew to earn through tips to retain & reward them & that's been built into your cruise fare. If you'd like to pay more - knock yourselves out, but I don't feel badly about accepting the status quo. In fact, I LOVE Seabourn because they absolutely INSIST that tips are not expected or required even if you try to press them.

"Free gratuities" is a myth just like "free airfare". It's all been calculated into your fare & you're paying for it - it's simply been packaged in a more acceptable fashion than before. I understand what's going on & don't mind it as long as I can parse it out on my own. Note - we decline "free airfare" & book our own --- at almost exactly the same price but we get the flight we want guaranteed long in advance & O reimburses us for it! The one thing that is good about it is the ease of it all.

Edited by shedridt

Trust me -- you are in fact paying for the gratuities in the price of your cruise as Oceania has determined what they want their crew to earn through tips to retain & reward them & that's been built into your cruise fare.

Actually this in incorrect, gratuities are additional on Oceania, unless you have over 10 cruises with them or your Travel Agent pays it, or if it is part of a special promotion they have going, such as O Life or the Last call. Unless you fall under one of those situations I listed then you will be paying an additional $15 per person, per day, going up to $16 pp real soon, suites are more.

All of what you said is true, except for it being built into the cruise fare. Having said that, there are lots of opportunities to get the grats pre paid. ---Trust me.

Even though our TA generally includes the gratuities for us on Oceania we add quite a bit especially for the Butler and the stewardesses etc. And since not everyone has the gratuities included it seems to me that adding at least a little is a good idea. I am not sure how the staff know who has pre-paid the gratuities and who hasn't ?? But I seem to remember reading somewhere that Oceania tacks them on to the bill if not paid up front ??

All of the gratuities go in to a pool

The pool is divided and paid out according to a very complex formula based on seniority, contact with passengers and so on.

E.G. A dining room maitre d will get a larger share than a waiter. A waiter more than a busboy and so on. A housekeeping supervisor will get more than a stewardess.

That's one reason to give your favorite employee a little extra.

Ship's crew probably don't participate in the pool but their base salary would be higher. Having said that, probably every company is somewhat different.

All of the gratuities go in to a pool

The pool is divided and paid out according to a very complex formula based on seniority, contact with passengers and so on.

E.G. A dining room maitre d will get a larger share than a waiter. A waiter more than a busboy and so on. A housekeeping supervisor will get more than a stewardess.

That's one reason to give your favorite employee a little extra.

Ship's crew probably don't participate in the pool but their base salary would be higher. Having said that, probably every company is somewhat different.

Hi Earl, just curious how you got this information as it pertains to Oceania?

Did someone in management on board tell you this?