Prepay gratuities?

Packard

This may get merged into the main/single gratuity thread, but here's a quick answer.

No, HAL doesn't offer this. But if you like to prepay for budget reasons, you could buy yourself some OBC and let that pay for the Hotel Service Charge.

Good answer!

Given the general direction of the Loonie, buy the OBC as soon as possible. We're already buying OBC for 2 cruises next year and for one in 2017. A little bit of currency speculation, but I don't see much possibility of a turn around over the next 18 months or so.

This may get merged into the main/single gratuity thread, but here's a quick answer.

No, HAL doesn't offer this. But if you like to prepay for budget reasons, you could buy yourself some OBC and let that pay for the Hotel Service Charge.

The best part is that if you do not use all the pre-purchased OBC, it will be refunded to your credit card after the cruise!

The best part is that if you do not use all the pre-purchased OBC, it will be refunded to your credit card after the cruise!

I wonder (and I'm sure someone has an answer): if you already have OBC as part of a promo (non-refundable) and you add your own OBC for the purpose of covering your gratuities (refundable), from which does your daily spending come? Would HAL use up all the non-refundable OBC first then dip into the refundable? :confused:

Edited by joepeka

I wonder (and I'm sure someone has an answer): if you already have OBC as part of a promo (non-refundable) and you add your own OBC for the purpose of covering your gratuities (refundable), from which does your daily spending come? Would HAL use up all the non-refundable OBC first then dip into the refundable? :confused:

Good Question..:confused:

Wonder how the front desk would be able to figure this out..

:) But I certainly would not have any left over OBC..

Good Question..:confused:

Wonder how the front desk would be able to figure this out..

:) But I certainly would not have any left over OBC..

Yeah, it's doubtful I would either but you never know and would obviously prefer any leftover be from the refundable amount.

Yes, non-refundable OBC is always used used first. If you start with $200 of each and your onboard expenses, including HSC, come to $300, you'll have $100 refundable OBC left.

Same experience - with 'non-refundable' from HAL and extra 'refundable' OBC from TA, friends, etc, always have gotten the refund if there was any OBC left at the end of the cruise. It is all one pile of OBC and they only care where it came from if there is an excess at the end as they will refund up to the 'refundable' amount of OBC.