7 Day Queensland Coastal Question

kenexx

We have booked one for next Feb on The Sea Princess. This may be a silly question but are passports required. The cruise does go by Willis Island for some reason if that makes a difference. Thanks for any advice.

Maurice

We have booked one for next Feb on The Sea Princess. This may be a silly question but are passports required. The cruise does go by Willis Island for some reason if that makes a difference. Thanks for any advice.

Maurice

Passport not needed, but photo ID is, drivers lisence.

Willis island visit somehow qualifies for them to sell duty free.

Passport not needed, but photo ID is, drivers lisence.

Willis island visit somehow qualifies for them to sell duty free.

Willis Island is in international waters just.... To access duty free you much leave Australia or its surrounding territorial waters, if memory serves me correctly Aust Waters ends just this side of Willis, by passing around the eastern side of the Island you are deemed to have left Australia. Much like daylight saving at tweed heads, one side of the street is on Qld time...cross the road and you have to change your watch.

On a further note technically the onboard duty free shops can only sell duty free while outside Willis island otherwise you legally should pay the gist then claim it back when you return. By passing the eastern side of the island allows you to utilise the TRS scheme on purchases made within a month of your travel.

Willis Island is in international waters just.... To access duty free you much leave Australia or its surrounding territorial waters, if memory serves me correctly Aust Waters ends just this side of Willis, by passing around the eastern side of the Island you are deemed to have left Australia. Much like daylight saving at tweed heads, one side of the street is on Qld time...cross the road and you have to change your watch.

I know about Willis Island and sailing into international waters is (unless there has been a recent change) isn't enough to trigger duty free purchases, the ship must visit a Port in international waters, now with Willis Island, for reasons that totally elude me they never disembark any passengers and in all honesty I don't know how they get away with it.

On one cruise we sailed into a cyclone but still had to go out to Willis, drop anchor then depart, because people had bought duty free before leaving, the Captain was ropeable.

On a further note technically the onboard duty free shops can only sell duty free while outside Willis island otherwise you legally should pay the gist then claim it back when you return. By passing the eastern side of the island allows you to utilise the TRS scheme on purchases made within a month of your travel.

The time limit is 60 days not a month.

The last time we cruised and dropped anchor at Willis Island, some were expecting to get off and wanted to know what there was to do there!

But it was a reasonably informative quick anchored stop as there was an audio hookup from Willis Island with a meteorologist and the release of a weather balloon.

The last time we cruised and dropped anchor at Willis Island, some were expecting to get off and wanted to know what there was to do there!

But it was a reasonably informative quick anchored stop as there was an audio hookup from Willis Island with a meteorologist and the release of a weather balloon.

I doubt whether all the passengers from a cruise ship could fit on Willis Island.:D

I doubt whether all the passengers from a cruise ship could fit on Willis Island.:D

Not to mention the supersonic speed the tender boats would have to travel to get passengers to and fro within an hour. :eek:

Never ceases to amaze how many people must never look at the itinerary, it's always been clearly marked, "scenic cruising".

When I was on Sun Princess in 2012 we "visited" Willis Island and watched the weather balloon launch but the duty free shop onboard never opened during the cruise . So is the stop there for purchases bought off the ship before and at ports in QLD?

When I was on Sun Princess in 2012 we "visited" Willis Island and watched the weather balloon launch but the duty free shop onboard never opened during the cruise . So is the stop there for purchases bought off the ship before and at ports in QLD?

The biggest worry is that people have bought duty free before departure and if it's missed it causes all sorts of issues. But ours they dd open the onboard shops as well. 2007 if I recall correctly.

We have cruised around Willis Island twice. Once on Rhapsody and last on Solstice in 2013 at Easter. The shops were opened daily when at sea.

On Solstice, DH bought citizen Eco drive watch and myself a Guess handbag - very well priced, I think the dollar was performing better then. The bottle shop was also open, purchase whenever and then alcohol delivered to your room on last cruise night.

I wonder what happened to the cruisers' duty free goods on the Fijian cruise during the cyclone and were diverted to Tasmania last season?

The ATO issued a Ruling relating to GST and ships this week.

https://www.ato.gov.au/law/view/view.htm?docid=GSD/GSTD20152/NAT/ATO/00001

So this is why they need to anchor then watch a weather balloon being sent up as that is an activity at that destination?

I guess the duty free sales on board must be worth it to these cruise lines to go to all this bother!

So this is why they need to anchor then watch a weather balloon being sent up as that is an activity at that destination?

I guess the duty free sales on board must be worth it to these cruise lines to go to all this bother!

It's not even just the onboard sales, though they add up considerably, but some people will choose a cruise that lets them buy duty free on land, over one that doesn't.

Thanks for posting that.

Hopefully that clears up the sailing into "International Waters" misconception.

Interesting to note that fares for a cruise to "destination outside the indirect tax zone" are GST free. Had never thought of that.

Interesting to note that fares for a cruise to "destination outside the indirect tax zone" are GST free. Had never thought of that.

That's the MAIN reason cruise lines visit Willis Island and also call at Bali on the Round Australia cruise. Not only is there no GST for passengers , but all their supplies are exempt from GST as well.

Is it just the passengers' purchases? There may be a whole duty issue for services provided by the cruiselines being GST exempt. All drinks at the bars, all the speciality dining. Even the cost of the cruise itself. If the cruise is just Australian waters the trip itself has GST included/added doesn't it?

That's the MAIN reason cruise lines visit Willis Island and also call at Bali on the Round Australia cruise. Not only is there no GST for passengers , but all their supplies are exempt from GST as well.

Reading the legislation and tax office rulings 'm not so sure about that part.