Home made toiletries & medicines?

I make almost all of my own toiletries and some 'medicinals', such as colloidal silver and magnesium oil. I usually keep them in labelled glass bottles/jars at home, but will transfer them to plastic ones for ease of travelling and weight restrictions. Most are only small amounts and are quite obviously NOT alcohol, such as coconut sunscreen and moisturiser, but the colloidal silver (500mls) is a clear liquid, as is the magnesium oil.

Will I be facing a problem at embarkation and get sent to the naughty room? How will they determine that my liquids are neither alcohol nor any kind of beverage? I really don't like the idea of things that I use for my health and wellbeing getting opened and sniffed, or whatever. I'd be okay with pouring some out for testing if that's required?

Will they open my case and check them even if I'm not there? Should I pack them in my carry-on luggage or is that a worse option? Do I need to let RCI know in advance or is this too petty an issue?

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Barbara

Our experience is that they will not open luggage that is locked. If they suspect something prohibited in locked luggage, they will call you down to security to open the luggage in front of them so they can inspect suspicious items. I believe they also apply the same policy to unlocked louggage, but I have no direct experience with that.

Edited by clarea

I make almost all of my own toiletries and some 'medicinals', such as colloidal silver and magnesium oil. I usually keep them in labelled glass bottles/jars at home, but will transfer them to plastic ones for ease of travelling and weight restrictions. Most are only small amounts and are quite obviously NOT alcohol, such as coconut sunscreen and moisturiser, but the colloidal silver (500mls) is a clear liquid, as is the magnesium oil.

Will I be facing a problem at embarkation and get sent to the naughty room? How will they determine that my liquids are neither alcohol nor any kind of beverage? I really don't like the idea of things that I use for my health and wellbeing getting opened and sniffed, or whatever. I'd be okay with pouring some out for testing if that's required?

Will they open my case and check them even if I'm not there? Should I pack them in my carry-on luggage or is that a worse option? Do I need to let RCI know in advance or is this too petty an issue?

Barbara

In my opinion you should be fine if the quantities are small. Just put them in your carry-on so the scanning takes place with you present as opposed to the suitcase where its behind the scenes and if there is a question you will need to go to the Naughty room.

Steve

Everything is in small quantities except the CS, which is 500mls or just over a pint. I use it for everything, including a spray sterilising treatment, mouthwash and even as a treatment for dodgy stomach or other illness. Maybe I should split it up into smaller amounts? As a clear liquid, it looks just like water - or worse, rum or vodka!

Barbara

That's neat that you make those yourself.

Carry them on, absolutely. Imagine your cruise if the bag you checked with them went missing, or if it got smashed under other heavy bags? Carry them on. Label the bottles (and yes I would decant that 500ml bottle into smaller ones), have them organized in baggies that are labeled. Maybe hav some fun making up your own labels! :) There are websites that let you create stickers. :)

Barbara

If you pack it carry-on and adhere to the TSA's 1 quart restrictions, you can guarantee that you'll be fine. That would probably be your best bet. That said, I'm sure people do that all the time, and I doubt RCCL cares.

That's neat that you make those yourself.

Carry them on, absolutely. Imagine your cruise if the bag you checked with them went missing, or if it got smashed under other heavy bags? Carry them on. Label the bottles (and yes I would decant that 500ml bottle into smaller ones), have them organized in baggies that are labeled. Maybe hav some fun making up your own labels! :) There are websites that let you create stickers. :)

If you pack it carry-on and adhere to the TSA's 1 quart restrictions, you can guarantee that you'll be fine. That would probably be your best bet. That said, I'm sure people do that all the time, and I doubt RCCL cares.

Thanks all - I think I will decant the CS into several smaller plastic bottles and print up some snazzy labels for everything :) I usually only make proper labels for home made things that I give away as gifts.

I'll also put the containers into my hold luggage for the plane journey and take them out to carry on the ship to avoid the naughty room scenario and spare the OH's blushes.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who uses CS, in particular, on their travels. It's our 'go-to' remedy for everything.

Barbara

If you're flying to the port, make it easy on yourself and pack it checked baggage, if you are checking a bag. When you get to the port, take it out and place in carryon bag. Port security doesn't restrict liquids like they do at the airport. As previously stated by others, use small containers of a few oz or less. Everyone is bringing shampoo, conditioner, perfume, sanitizer, mouthwash, etc. so it shouldn't be a big deal. Split it up between you and your husband's carryon so it doesn't look like an excessive amount.

I travel with magnesium oil. I put mine in a small 3-1-1 approved sized spray bottle (an inexpensive offering from Target). I didn't label it. I knew the difference from the other bottles by color. I had 3 such bottles with clear liquids, the magnesium oil, a makeup remover, and bug spray. I had them all in my carry on bag and there were no problems or questions regarding it.

I'll also put the containers into my hold luggage for the plane journey and take them out to carry on the ship to avoid the naughty room scenario and spare the OH's blushes.

Well, my "what if it goes missing" question stands for the flight, too. If you decant it into the 100ml bottles and put them in your 311 baggies you'll be fine. The label idea was for the cruise, so it's easier for them to see that it's not booze.

We use colloidal silver as a nasal spray; I'm the only one that used it during this last icky cold that went through the house, and I'm the one who had it the shortest. We were all using vitamin C and elderberry extract, but the CS seemed to do the trick for me. It's a big container, though; 100mL but the bottle is physically large and makes it hard to put my usual other stuff in the baggie for carrying onto the plane.

Thanks - it sounds a bit embarrassing to me, but I suppose needs must :o My OH is very sensitive and will probably be mortified if we're singled out, but I'm not leaving my CS behind for anything!

Barbara

You may want to rethink your continuing use of colloidal silver and other similar "snake oils." http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/consumer-health/expert-answers/colloidal-silver/faq-20058061

Well, my "what if it goes missing" question stands for the flight, too. If you decant it into the 100ml bottles and put them in your 311 baggies you'll be fine. The label idea was for the cruise, so it's easier for them to see that it's not booze.

We use colloidal silver as a nasal spray; I'm the only one that used it during this last icky cold that went through the house, and I'm the one who had it the shortest. We were all using vitamin C and elderberry extract, but the CS seemed to do the trick for me. It's a big container, though; 100mL but the bottle is physically large and makes it hard to put my usual other stuff in the baggie for carrying onto the plane.

I have successfully made and used CS for many years and contrary to the sceptical opinions on this thread, I have done plenty of my own research (as a qualified scientist in my own right). In any event, a personal ongoing experiment (n =1) for one's own individual benefit trumps random Internet links, which can be tossed out to support or negate any position.

As you have found for yourself, mollyeilis, CS works for you - that's all that matters, above the normal precautions one takes with any substance. An informed and open mind is a big advantage :)

Barbara

Not endorsing...just saying that apparently, it's been done already!

http://naturalsociety.com/health-benefits-of-colloidal-gold/

Damn!!!:D That website debunks everything we thought we knew about medicine and health. :eek:

As for "colloidal silver", yeah who would want to listen to some "random internet link" like the Mayo Clinic:D;)

Edited by bouhunter