Blu vs Main Dining Room

mrshersh

Hi All,

We have an upcoming B2B in February and I have a funny feeling that the menu in Blu will be the same as previous week. Can you go to MDR for a change if you are not excited about the menu choice in Blu that night? Thanks!

yes. You also can order food off the mdr menu in Blu.

Sorry, but you can't order from the MDR menu in Blu. Blu does have some everyday specials that are on the MDR menu....onion soup, caesar salad, but they do not serve MDR main dishes. (there are always exceptions...but they are rare).

If you wan to eat something on the MDR entree menu, arrange to dine in the MDR that night.

Sorry, but you can't order from the MDR menu in Blu. Blu does have some everyday specials that are on the MDR menu....onion soup, caesar salad, but they do not serve MDR main dishes. (there are always exceptions...but they are rare).

If you wan to eat something on the MDR entree menu, arrange to dine in the MDR that night.

I disagree. We were in aq and ate at Blu every night on the Millie.. One night I didn't find anything on the Blu menu I wanted and they allowed me to order off the mdr menu.

The OP's various posts indicate that they are cruising on the Equinox in Feb 2017! If this is true, the Mille will have little to say about the menus :). Our own experience on several S-Class Celebrity ships is that with the exception of a few "secret" items (i.e. Onion soup, Escargot, Shrimp Cocktail and Cheesecake) they do not generally allow ordering off the MDR menu. In the early days of Aqua Class they did try to accommodate those wanting MDR menu items, but that practice seems to have stopped. One might want to keep in mind that it is possible to dine in the MDR although this usually requires prior approval (and intervention) by the Blu Maitre'd.

Hank

The OP's various posts indicate that they are cruising on the Equinox in Feb 2017! If this is true, the Mille will have little to say about the menus :). Our own experience on several S-Class Celebrity ships is that with the exception of a few "secret" items (i.e. Onion soup, Escargot, Shrimp Cocktail and Cheesecake) they do not generally allow ordering off the MDR menu. In the early days of Aqua Class they did try to accommodate those wanting MDR menu items, but that practice seems to have stopped. One might want to keep in mind that it is possible to dine in the MDR although this usually requires prior approval (and intervention) by the Blu Maitre'd.

Hank

Matches our experience as well:)

......I know this would mean moving cabins but you are paying quite a premium that second week for Blu when it doesn't sound like you particularly want it.

So why not see if you can either downgrade to a different balcony cabin and just eat in the MDR second week or upgrade to a sky suite and try out Luminae?

Just a thought!

Blu actually has 14 days of menus, however, you're right, they probably will just repeat the same 7 on a B2B. Having said that, the local restaurants we eat in at home don't change their menus very much either. You may find that there are two entrees on a menu that sound good....eat one the first week and the other the second week. There may be some menus where only one entree appeals to you, then when that menu's repeated, eat in the MDR (menus are posted for Blu and the MDR around noon each day). Also keep in mind that you can easily mix and match....if there is a salad with lamb chops, you can ask for the lamb chops to be served without the salad and made up as a regular plate....they try to be flexible.

My experience with blu says NO!

My recheck with captains club also says no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please provide documentation on this.....

thanks

I'm not sure what type of documentation you would like. How about a sworn affidavit? Perhaps the rules have changed since this was on an Alaskan cruise 2 years ago.

Edited by dabear

I'm not sure what type of documentation you would like. How about a sworn affidavit? Perhaps the rules have changed since this was on an Alaskan cruise 2 years ago.

I don't think there is any documentation but also think you provided the answer. Since you went two years ago, Celebrity appears to have been getting away from the policy. We know they used to do this, there are enough people on this board who took advantage of it and reported it here on this board. We also know that many have reported they are not doing it anymore. I asked on Solstice last year and they would not.

If I were in your position I would try to physically take a menu each night, that way you can plan ahead for the second week as to what specialty restaurants, MDR, etc. you'd choose on those nights when you truly didn't like anything rather than trying to remember what you had last Tuesday.

Celebrity really needs to change the Blu menu.

I really like blu but I am getting used to it. How hard is it to add some dishes per year? Can't be too hard.

What about the MDR - do they change the menu there regulary or is it a rotation since the beginning, too?

Celebrity really needs to change the Blu menu.

I really like blu but I am getting used to it. How hard is it to add some dishes per year? Can't be too hard.

What about the MDR - do they change the menu there regulary or is it a rotation since the beginning, too?

We are taking our first non-aqua class cruise in a couple of months for that very reason....just tired of the repetitive blu dinner menus so we booked a 1A and saved a few dollars, for a change. We'll probably miss the quiet of Blu and the breakfasts, but it's time for a change. We'll be on an S-class so we are in one of the large balcony 1A's....no advantage to being in an A cabin. Our past recent cruises have been A1's on deck 11 of the M-class which has, until now, had the best, quietest cabins on the ship (soon to change, I fear, with the movies on 12).

The MDR has the same issues....

We are taking our first non-aqua class cruise in a couple of months for that very reason....just tired of the repetitive blu dinner menus so we booked a 1A and saved a few dollars, for a change. We'll probably miss the quiet of Blu and the breakfasts, but it's time for a change. We'll be on an S-class so we are in one of the large balcony 1A's....no advantage to being in an A cabin. Our past recent cruises have been A1's on deck 11 of the M-class which has, until now, had the best, quietest cabins on the ship (soon to change, I fear, with the movies on 12).

The MDR has the same issues....

Thanks for the information about the MDR. Would be nice if we could always order off the MDR menu in blu on S-Class ships - that would help a bit.

Maybe I will leave AQ too and use the money saved for the Ultimate Dining Package :D But "she" loves Blu so I might be able to convince Celebrity to change the menu rather than her not going to Blu...

Edited by UniPac

We just finished the 17 day Panama Canal cruise on the Infinity and I was a bit concerned that this would be an issue - it wasn't. We only missed two nights eating in Blu and the menu's appeared different each night.

BTW, a big shout out to the Blu Crew: Host and Hostess Ivica and Loredana; Servers Emmanuel, Olesander, Ellena, and Alex; and Sommelier Alexandra. Thank all of your for your service and your smiles. You made our vacation most enjoyable.

So now we have a better understanding of the issue on this thread. One poster is relying on 2 your old info, which is a lifetime in the cruise industry these days. Policies and practices often change from cruise to cruise and many of the other posters (including moi) are basing their posts on more current info.

As to the Blu menus, we agree that it needs to be updated on a more regular basis. As to the post about changing cabins, we once did this on the Silhouette where we had booked back to back cruises (14 days and 12 days) in the Med. For one segment we booked an AQ cabin and enjoyed Blu. For the other segment we moved 1 deck to a regular balcony cabin and dined in the MDR and some of the alternative restaurants. We saw this as the best of all worlds. Moving between cabins was a minor hassle since our cabin steward took care of most of the work. We had to toss our stuff from the drawers into our suitcases, but the steward brought a large luggage cart and just took all of our hanging stuff on hangers.

Hank

I'm sailing on Celebrity Silhouette next month in Aqua Class. This is my first Celebrity cruise. I have the premium beverage package. Can regular bar drinks be ordered with dinner in Blu? Drinks like flavored martini's, margaritas, etc?

I'm sailing on Celebrity Silhouette next month in Aqua Class. This is my first Celebrity cruise. I have the premium beverage package. Can regular bar drinks be ordered with dinner in Blu? Drinks like flavored martini's, margaritas, etc?

Yes, bar service is available in Blu. They will take your drink order at your table and bring the drink to you.

Edited by Nachosdelux