Move Over Offer?

BridgeMates

Not sure about this...

Received move over offer for our Princess cruise leaving on Saturday (2 cabins). Says we can book another cruise and get cost of our cabins as onboard credit plus they'll give us $300 towards revising airfare we've paid. Oh and maybe (if available a cabin upgrade). Am I missing something? Who'd want to disrupt all their plans at the last minute for this? Would have to book a very long cruise in order to use up all the onboard credit. Again, I must be missing something. We're passing on the offer but I'd like to know what I'm not understanding in case it happens again.

Thanks.

We received a move over on our first Princess cruise and we grabbed it. We can drive to the port and we are retired so no problem. Upgrade from inside to Balcony and over $900 in OBC.. It depends on your circumstances.

The OBC would be refundable, I think, so if you don't spend it all you get it back. They do this all the time. If they don't get anyone else to take it, they may call again and sweeten the pot until you can't refuse. EM

Not sure about this...

Received move over offer for our Princess cruise leaving on Saturday (2 cabins). Says we can book another cruise and get cost of our cabins as onboard credit plus they'll give us $300 towards revising airfare we've paid. Oh and maybe (if available a cabin upgrade). Am I missing something? Who'd want to disrupt all their plans at the last minute for this? Would have to book a very long cruise in order to use up all the onboard credit. Again, I must be missing something. We're passing on the offer but I'd like to know what I'm not understanding in case it happens again.

Thanks.

Sure they didn't say or mean a Future Cruise Credit (for the value paid for present cruise). Doesn't make sense as an OBC and other reports here indicate these situations result in a FCC on your CC profile for use against a future booking.

A friend of mine traveling solo this past summer received a move over offer one day before sailing. He lives in San Francisco and the cruise was departing/returning there, so he had no travel arrangements to cancel, change, etc. As he is retired, he was able to take the move over offer and reschedule the same itinerary (10 day round trip Alaska) about a month later.

The reimbursement arrangements went as follows (not actual numbers, but just as an example).

Original cruise fare: $3,000 (this was then applied to his on board account as OBC on the voyage he actually sailed)

OBC spent on cruise: $1,000

Refund back to his credit card: $2,000.

So in other words, he received a full refund, minus his on board purchases/expenses.

For him it was a great deal as he was flexible with his time, not to mention it being lucrative.

Earlier this year, we got a move over offer - we live in Houston so not a big deal. It was a few days before the trip and we had no plane reservation to change. Was a great deal - we basically got a free cruise with a lot of OBC which we did not use and then they mailed us a check for the balance of the OBC. We took the cruise two weeks later and had an upgraded cabin...

Those move over offers are wonderful if your time is flexible.

eclue:rolleyes:

Sure they didn't say or mean a Future Cruise Credit (for the value paid for present cruise). Doesn't make sense as an OBC and other reports here indicate these situations result in a FCC on your CC profile for use against a future booking.

Well, okay then. So if they do it as an OBC, any balance is refunded after the actual cruise taken, so that's good too.

Not sure about this...

Thanks.

I've read through this thread and have a question.. why would Princess do this? Because they've overbooked (similar to airlines?) I didn't know Princess would do that. Or is it for some other reason?

I've read through this thread and have a question.. why would Princess do this? Because they've overbooked (similar to airlines?) I didn't know Princess would do that. Or is it for some other reason?

Yes, they do this when they are overbooked. When it happens, it's usually very late in the game as they are first allowing for last-minute cancellations, etc, to come in before they have to resort to "bumping" people for lack of space. As the OP said, they passed on the offer, which means Princess will keep going through the manifest until they eventually find someone willing to move. The more people unwilling to move, the sweeter the move over offers become!

Yes its done all the time. Princess has it down to a science and there is always someone that will move over to another cruise if the deal is sweet enough.

Our Coral/Panama cruise was sold out 18 months thats why there were almost much no upgrades/upsells. Its a very popular cruise.

I m sure they have a formula they use based on how well the cruise is selling.

Bottom line, they want to make sure the ship sails as full as possible and they get it done time after time.

Yes its done all the time. Princess has it down to a science and there is always someone that will move over to another cruise if the deal is sweet enough.

Our Coral/Panama cruise was sold out 18 months thats why there were almost much no upgrades/upsells. Its a very popular cruise.

I m sure they have a formula they use based on how well the cruise is selling.

Bottom line, they want to make sure the ship sails as full as possible and they get it done time after time.

Thanks Keith, learn something new every day!! :)

Yes, they do this when they are overbooked. When it happens, it's usually very late in the game as they are first allowing for last-minute cancellations, etc, to come in before they have to resort to "bumping" people for lack of space. As the OP said, they passed on the offer, which means Princess will keep going through the manifest until they eventually find someone willing to move. The more people unwilling to move, the sweeter the move over offers become!

:cool:

We are in an Owner's Suite this December.. wonder if they will call me? LOL

We however, living in Iowa, would not be able to take them up on the offer. To many flights, hotels and vacation dates reserved to do so. But WOW that would be sweet if we could.

As I understand it, we'd have to "purchase" the new cruise, and assuming it is the same cruise next year at about the same price, we'd get the on-board credit from the 1st cruise back as "refundable credit." We have enough credits from early booking promotions, military credit, travel agent credit, etc. for a 7 day cruise, so even assuming I get the entire move-over money back, what have I gained? Aren't I just breaking even for the hassle?

I know I'm missing something, be patient with me.

Cruise leaves Saturday, Regal P. 7 days out of NY.

As I understand it, we'd have to "purchase" the new cruise, and assuming it is the same cruise next year at about the same price, we'd get the on-board credit from the 1st cruise back as "refundable credit." We have enough credits from early booking promotions, military credit, travel agent credit, etc. for a 7 day cruise, so even assuming I get the entire move-over money back, what have I gained? Aren't I just breaking even for the hassle?

I know I'm missing something, be patient with me.

Cruise leaves Saturday, Regal P. 7 days out of NY.

No, you don't "purchase" the new cruise date you've agreed to sail. Princess simply moves your reservation over to the new cruise, places the amount of the original cruise you purchased as OBC on your shipboard account. You spend whatever you spend from the OBC and the remaining balance is refunded back to you. Hence, a free cruise less your onboard spending.

I've got it! and thanks. Takes me awhile. I thought you had to pay for another cruise. This does make it attractive, altho the other couple we're going with doesn't want to change, but all the info is appreciated and I'll know next time (if it ever happens again).

I think the deals vary a great deal, we did not get a free cruise. We chose another date to cruise and were given an upgrade to balcony from inside. The OBC we were given was equal to the price of one passenger.

How far in advance of your original cruise did you receive the move over offer?

As has been mentioned, the "deals" sweeten the more desperate Princess gets. In the case of my friend, he was notified the day before departure, so he received 100% of his original price in OBC and subsequent refund of the remaining unused OBC.

As Princess has only one Sailing this Saturday that is sold out, the original poster might be talking about the Silhouette sailing from Ft Lauderdale.

We have a gty cabin that has not been assigned as of today. This is the first cruise after the TA and when you hear of move over offers it makes one wonder how oversold the cruise is. When I spoke without travel agent yesterday, Princess can assign all the way up to port check-in. That would normally be ok if the whole cruise was not sold out, but to fly from NY and find out at the port would be nasty!

Hal

No, you don't "purchase" the new cruise date you've agreed to sail. Princess simply moves your reservation over to the new cruise, places the amount of the original cruise you purchased as OBC on your shipboard account. You spend whatever you spend from the OBC and the remaining balance is refunded back to you. Hence, a free cruise less your onboard spending.

Wow, a move over deal is AWESOME, I'm new to princess and was reading thread and I am glad you posted your comment....I was NOT understanding correctly, now I see WHAT A DEAL, come on princess give me a call LOL

i got the best move over offer a couple weeks ago.

we had booked the 1 day seattle to vancouver and paid $119 per pax.

We moved over to a 7 day regal at no cost, got the $119 per pax as a refundable OBC. Plus we had used a FCC to originally buy the first cruise. There is no OBC associated with a FCC and a 1 day, but now that we are on a 7 day, it gave us each $50 in OBC.

We also had pre paid our gratuities for the 1 day, and now they are pre paid for the 7 day.

We also bought the UBP for the 1 day, and it is now paid for the 7 day!

I would say that was a sweet deal!!