Mayflower Terminal

amajaa

Our e- ticket is saying our cruise on Ventura on 31st October is leaving from Mayflower but the Southampton Cruise Ship Schedule is still saying Ocean Terminal.

I am assuming the e-ticket is correct so I was wondering what anyone's ticket on the cruise leaving on the 24th October is saying as their disembark terminal. I just want to double check before booking car parking.

Is Mayflower the same as Ocean where you go upstairs to check in? I have left from City and that's all on the same level. Also come into QE2 and that was awful.

Are they implementing the new check in system at Mayflower or indeed for Ventura yet?

Our e- ticket is saying our cruise on Ventura on 31st October is leaving from Mayflower but the Southampton Cruise Ship Schedule is still saying Ocean Terminal.

I am assuming the e-ticket is correct so I was wondering what anyone's ticket on the cruise leaving on the 24th October is saying as their disembark terminal. I just want to double check before booking car parking.

Is Mayflower the same as Ocean where you go upstairs to check in? I have left from City and that's all on the same level. Also come into QE2 and that was awful.

Are they implementing the new check in system at Mayflower or indeed for Ventura yet?

Yes we are leaving and returning to the Mayflower on the cruise before you. I haven't been in the Mayflower since it has been refurbished so can't help there but I am sure someone else will be able to answer your question.:)

We left from Mayflower on Oriana on 10th September. Instead of checking in downstairs, there was an upstairs and you were given a card and told to take a seat. We were called within 15 minutes with the letter U and were checked in and on board within 20 minutes.

Mayflower terminal has been completely revamped - there is a ramp up to a kind of "upper ground floor" where you check in. There is plenty of seating and a cafe/ bar. Don't know what prices are like.

It is a much more pleasant experience to depart from there than it used to be - I can remember queueing virtually out of the door in the past!

The cruise ship schedules on the Southampton port website are notorious for being incorrect until about 2 weeks beforehand so I would check again nearer the time.

Edited by Mysticalmother

• 2 weeks later...

It appears from a post on the official P&O Facebook page that the Mayflower Terminal is currently in chaos and a photo does show a lot of people waiting to board.

I read elsewhere that they are sticking to boarding times but do not know that for sure personally.

It appears from a post on the official P&O Facebook page that the Mayflower Terminal is currently in chaos and a photo does show a lot of people waiting to board.

I read elsewhere that they are sticking to boarding times but do not know that for sure personally.

Maybe if and when people stick more closely to their boarding times, there will not be chaos in the terminals.

If everyone still decides they are very very important and HAVE to be among the first to board, then the chaos will continue.

I would say stick a lot more closely to the time you have been given, if you do not want to be sat in the terminal for a long time.

Maybe if and when people stick more closely to their boarding times, there will not be chaos in the terminals.

If everyone still decides they are very very important and HAVE to be among the first to board, then the chaos will continue.

I would say stick a lot more closely to the time you have been given, if you do not want to be sat in the terminal for a long time.

Yes it will be full of the people who say well I am just going to turn up at the same time as always 11.30. They will not keep you waiting. Guess what... WRONG. :) :) :)

Happy cruising to all those who think they know best.

Yes it will be full of the people who say well I am just going to turn up at the same time as always 11.30. They will not keep you waiting. Guess what... WRONG. :) :) :)

Happy cruising to all those who think they know best.

This assumes people know the system has changed, P&O haven't sent their long awaited communication. We sail in few days and nothing from P&O to inform us of the changes. I think people will comply but it would help if the communication was better.

This assumes people know the system has changed, P&O haven't sent their long awaited communication. We sail in few days and nothing from P&O to inform us of the changes. I think people will comply but it would help if the communication was better.

Everyone I spoke to on Britannia had the email. The ones I was referring to were those who have posted on forums and were quite clear about the changes but we're going to ignore them.

Everyone I spoke to on Britannia had the email. The ones I was referring to were those who have posted on forums and were quite clear about the changes but we're going to ignore them.

Will await it with interest!

Last time we were in Southampton coming in from the M271 there was a sign on West Quay Rd listing which dock gate you needed for a particular ship.

When we started cruising check in opened at midday, and boarding started at 2pm, then the anxious wait for your card colour and number to be called, ohh and a steward to show you to your cabin! Oriana September 1995!

Interesting to note that boarding started at 2pm all those years ago. That's what Fred O still does, but P&O obviously changed and started boarding earlier and giving lunch?

It only changed about 9/10 years ago. If you arrived by 12.30 you may wait up to 3 hours. The priority was for suites and we had one in Oct 2006 on Arcadia. We were taken to the Gary Rhodes Restaurant and had afternoon tea with Champagne. The hot buffet did not start until 4/5 years after that.

Other cruise lines I have been on out of Southampton, Cunard and X have not been so draconian. Normally, we arrive at around noon and are on board within 30 to 60 mins, enjoying the ship's facilities, whether that be lunch in the buffet, choosing books in the library or just exploring the ship. The cabins may or may not be ready but that hardly matters. Is P & O alone in imposing these ridiculous time constraints, or are others following suit?

Other cruise lines I have been on out of Southampton, Cunard and X have not been so draconian. Normally, we arrive at around noon and are on board within 30 to 60 mins, enjoying the ship's facilities, whether that be lunch in the buffet, choosing books in the library or just exploring the ship. The cabins may or may not be ready but that hardly matters. Is P & O alone in imposing these ridiculous time constraints, or are others following suit?

The word is all will follow. It was tried last year with RCI etc. P&O say they are doing what passengers wanted, to board when their cabin was ready.

The word is all will follow. It was tried last year with RCI etc. P&O say they are doing what passengers wanted, to board when their cabin was ready.

I find that a tad hard to believe. If lines with bigger ships than P & O can have cabins ready by about 1 or 1.30 why does P & O find it so difficult? The probable reason is to stagger boarding so they don't need so many check in staff.

I think this will cause a lot of waiting around especially for those who drive to Southampton and have to allow for traffic delays. It could mean waiting for hours in the terminal.

I find that a tad hard to believe. If lines with bigger ships than P & O can have cabins ready by about 1 or 1.30 why does P & O find it so difficult? The probable reason is to stagger boarding so they don't need so many check in staff.

I think this will cause a lot of waiting around especially for those who drive to Southampton and have to allow for traffic delays. It could mean waiting for hours in the terminal.

Sorry your theory is way off all check in positions manned and extra security lines in Ocean.

Why should cause that chaos that was not the case when it was 14.00 boarding.

Sorry your theory is way off all check in positions manned and extra security lines in Ocean.

Why should cause that chaos that was not the case when it was 14.00 boarding.

It's years since I have cruised with P & O but I am on Ventura in December Mayflower terminal) with a 3.30 pm boarding time. I have never boarded a ship as late as 2.00 pm and wasn't aware that this is the norm with P & O

My journey time to Southampton is 2.5 hours without traffic delays. So do I leave home at 1.00 pm and hope to get there on time? No, I'll probably leave at around 10.00 am to take account of the problems that the M25 can cause. I could therefore be at the terminal at 12.30 (which is normally the case) and, after handing over my car, could have a possible wait of around 3 hours.

I don't expect "chaos" as you put it, just unnecessary inconvenience.

It's years since I have cruised with P & O but I am on Ventura in December Mayflower terminal) with a 3.30 pm boarding time. I have never boarded a ship as late as 2.00 pm and wasn't aware that this is the norm with P & O

My journey time to Southampton is 2.5 hours without traffic delays. So do I leave home at 1.00 pm and hope to get there on time? No, I'll probably leave at around 10.00 am to take account of the problems that the M25 can cause. I could therefore be at the terminal at 12.30 (which is normally the case) and, after handing over my car, could have a possible wait of around 3 hours.

I don't expect "chaos" as you put it, just unnecessary inconvenience.

Up until 2006/7 the standard was 14.00.certainly was in Oct 06. So early boarding has not been the 'norm' that long.

Hi

The problem we have is we have to travel to Southampton 2 days earlier due to us not living on the main land.

Stay in hotel/b&b and have to be out by 11am.

We go to terminal and have drink and wait.

We have waited minutes and waited hours.

But it won't leave without us.

(And we people watch. Lol)

I'm with you on this one Aloonie! Although unlike you, we actually live relatively close to Southampton, there is no way we would time our journey to arrive at 15.00 or later. With traffic jams to get out of town recently due to road works which have meant people taking over two hours to travel less than 10 miles we would have to be psychic or crazy to think we could arrive at a predetermined time at the docks. Whilst this is a temporary situation - well for 9 months!) issues of congestion around the M27/M271/M3 appear to be frequent occurrences according to local news and can be affected by the number of ships in port, football matches, road works, accidents...... take your pick.

You are very wise to make sure you travel well ahead of time and I can appreciate the problems of having to vacate your hotel. So with these understandable issues, I can see why a lot of people arrive before their appointed time. None of us would have a right to complain though if we then have to wait to board - even if held back until the allocated time slot.

But by the same token I don't feel everyone should be branded as selfish (although some may be). The motivation could be as ours, a desire to just be sure to get there and certainly not to queue jump. If we could drop off our luggage at 12 then have a shuttle up to West Quay I'd willing vacate the area and come back at 15.00 if that was my time. Part of the problem is the location of the terminal - not really easy/inviting walk to the centre - I'm sure lots of people would be happy to disappear for a while otherwise.

I really don't care how long I have to wait to be allowed to board as long as I'm in Southampton and can see my ship or having boarded whether my cabin is ready or whether I can eat or not! I think travel/hotel issues have far more to do with people arriving early than selfish desires to be first on or get a meal.

Edited by kruzseeka

kruzseeka - I agree with you on the point about being able to drop off luggage early and then disappear off somewhere. As you say the terminal is quite a walk from anywhere with no transport (shuttle bus would be great). It is about 1.3 or 1.4 miles from anywhere useful. We will be in a hotel overnight before our 1 December departure and need to check out by 12 noon. We will leave our luggage in the storage room in hotel. As the hotel has no lounge for guests (basic) we will go out and return for luggage later. We are about 2.5 hours drive from Soton with no hold-ups but as we can't rely on that we prefer to travel on the previous day. I am hoping we will hear from passengers on recent departure will let us know how embarkation went.

Surely just because you have to vacate your room at the hotel by 11 or 11.30, doesn't mean you have to vacate the hotel? Most hotels would let you stay in a lounge with your luggage.

We are in Devon and it takes between just under 3 hours to 3.5. The worst hold up we ever had was right in Southampton, but was still only half an hour. We leave home at 9, drop off our dogs at the sitter and are usually at the terminal by 1300 or 1330. that is even with Soton playing at home and the Boatshow on.