Mayflower Terminal

amajaa

Surely just because you have to vacate your room at the hotel by 11 or 11.30, doesn't mean you have to vacate the hotel? Most hotels would let you stay in a lounge with your luggage.

We are in Devon and it takes between just under 3 hours to 3.5. The worst hold up we ever had was right in Southampton, but was still only half an hour. We leave home at 9, drop off our dogs at the sitter and are usually at the terminal by 1300 or 1330. that is even with Soton playing at home and the Boatshow on.

The hold ups really depend on your route. On a good at we can get to Southampton comfortably in 3.5 hours but we use M6, M42, M40 and A34 and have had horrendous hold ups. Sitting in a jam on the M40 for 2.5 hours on one occassion, constantly looking at the time and getting more worried about missing the ship cured us and if we are driving we now go a day early.

Our e- ticket is saying our cruise on Ventura on 31st October is leaving from Mayflower but the Southampton Cruise Ship Schedule is still saying Ocean Terminal.

I am assuming the e-ticket is correct so I was wondering what anyone's ticket on the cruise leaving on the 24th October is saying as their disembark terminal. I just want to double check before booking car parking.

Is Mayflower the same as Ocean where you go upstairs to check in? I have left from City and that's all on the same level. Also come into QE2 and that was awful.

Are they implementing the new check in system at Mayflower or indeed for Ventura yet?

We are on the same cruise our tickets say Mayflower, but we booked our parking about 6 weeks ago and our ticket just says the ships name cruise no and date so we will just turn up at Mayflower and hand over the car there.

I travel to southampton by train but having spent thousands on the cruise there is no way I would travel on departure day. Staying overnight in a hotel makes a relaxing start to the holiday. Rooms must be vacated by 12 noon and you can stay in the hotel lounge. However this may rapidly change if the lounge is clogged with lots of luggage and stroppy cruisers unwilling to spend money.

for me the best solution might be to drop off the cases at the terminal from 11 am when the baggage collection starts and walk back to the centre and have lunch.

Surely just because you have to vacate your room at the hotel by 11 or 11.30, doesn't mean you have to vacate the hotel? Most hotels would let you stay in a lounge with your luggage.

We are in Devon and it takes between just under 3 hours to 3.5. The worst hold up we ever had was right in Southampton, but was still only half an hour. We leave home at 9, drop off our dogs at the sitter and are usually at the terminal by 1300 or 1330. that is even with Soton playing at home and the Boatshow on.

Not all hotels have lounges. The Premier Inn (New Road) does not have a lounge. As this is a chain I would expect all Premier Inns to be the same. Their restaurant does not open at lunch time. Fortunately they will store luggage.

The word is all will follow. It was tried last year with RCI etc. P&O say they are doing what passengers wanted, to board when their cabin was ready.

Not quite true David, I was on the Anthem that left Southampton 28 September. I got on board just after 11:30 having arrived in the car park at 11:15. I sat by the pool with a drink and rode North Star before my cabin was ready around 13:00. Very easy, no hassle and nobody anywhere on board was complaining about long waits. I for one don't mind waiting for my cabin to be ready. On RCI they close the watertight doors so you can't sneak into your cabin and drop off hand luggage etc. That's also not a problem.

Not quite true David, I was on the Anthem that left Southampton 28 September. I got on board just after 11:30 having arrived in the car park at 11:15. I sat by the pool with a drink and rode North Star before my cabin was ready around 13:00. Very easy, no hassle and nobody anywhere on board was complaining about long waits. I for one don't mind waiting for my cabin to be ready. On RCI they close the watertight doors so you can't sneak into your cabin and drop off hand luggage etc. That's also not a problem.

Michael,

It was early last year, it did not last long. We got the information from one of the check in ladies who is a friend of ours. She said that when they did it it was a shambles as no one paid any attention to their check in times. At the time it was said the push had come from the police and local council. The truth is anyone's guess.

Just back from ventura cruise and boarded via ocean terminal left via mayflower as anthem was using ocean terminal...

got to port just before boarding 1320 for 1330 arrival time so cant comment on wait time - we had an immediate board given to us ( me wife and baby ) but so did both sets of my parents who arrived either just before or just after in separate cars. there were plenty of people waiting to be called to the boarding q's thou.

Wish I could drive down on the day.

So you leave at 9 to get to terminal for 1 ish?

If your boarding time was 3.30 would you leave at 11am?

Think not as your not allowing for any congestion.

I will not sit in hotel with all luggage taking up space. I go to terminal and just wait and relax.

We have to leave 2 days earlier just to make sure we are in Southampton.

The hold ups really depend on your route. On a good at we can get to Southampton comfortably in 3.5 hours but we use M6, M42, M40 and A34 and have had horrendous hold ups. Sitting in a jam on the M40 for 2.5 hours on one occassion, constantly looking at the time and getting more worried about missing the ship cured us and if we are driving we now go a day early.

We also have M42, M40 & A34 and have been stuck in some horrendous queues on the A34, last time stuck behind an overturned lorry. Couldn't move for 2 hours until police turned us all round and sent us back up the wrong way. Newbury was then completely gridlocked.

Not all hotels have lounges. The Premier Inn (New Road) does not have a lounge. As this is a chain I would expect all Premier Inns to be the same. Their restaurant does not open at lunch time. Fortunately they will store luggage.

you can also request a late check out at all Premier Inns - the cost is iro £15 and that allows you to check out anytime up to 1600 hrs.

A question for those who drive down on the day.

You leave home at x, which gets you to the terminal for 11.30-12.30. This has allowed time for hold ups, which there may or may not be. If there isn't you are at the terminal at 11.30.

What is the problem with leaving 1/2 hours later (with time built in for hold ups , but which gets you to the terminal for 2/2.30. Let's assume a check in at 3pm.

Nearer to check in time.

We have been travelling down to Southampton for the past 5/6 years, at various times of the year, with no hold ups. Have we really been that lucky.?

Edited by the english lady

We have been travelling down to Southampton for the past 5/6 years, at various times of the year, with no hold ups. Have we really been that lucky.?

Do you have to negotiate the A14, M11, M25 and whatever the motorway is from the M25 to Southampton?

I do and last time, due to an accident, encountered a 4 hour wait on the M11 (between junctions, with no means of escape) . Hopefully that answers your question but, if not, yes, you've been lucky.

Have travelled on both Intercruise and Eavesway coaches many times. A journey of 8 or 9 hours. Have always arrived 15 mins either side of 2pm. There is always an optional stop factored in within an hour of Southampton, if there are problems this break is missed. If all going well we have an extra break.

Do you have to negotiate the A14, M11, M25 and whatever the motorway is from the M25 to Southampton?

I do and last time, due to an accident, encountered a 4 hour wait on the M11 (between junctions, with no means of escape) . Hopefully that answers your question but, if not, yes, you've been lucky.

I am not the driver but I think it's m40, A34, m27 or sometimes m4 is thrown into the mix..

We use A38, a bit of M5, then A30 through Dorchester, then ringwood, A31, M27. We always leave at the same time. If we are looking as though we are very early, we just slow down. Might stop for a coffee if we are really early. Dropping the dogs off takes about 20 minutes or so. If we were 2 hours delayed, we would still be there by 2.30 to 3pm. It's never happened in 9 cruises. We have had holdups, but mostly in southampton itself.

Edited by jeanlyon

Hi the english lady, yes I think you have always been very lucky and I am pleased for you.

I live 5 mins away from Jct 9 on the M3 and 4 mins from where the A33 joins the A34 and I always have to leave loads of time when I am going on a cruise as sometimes there are dreadful holdups. The worst part can be once we get onto the M3 at this junction.

On a good day it can take 30 mins from Jct 9 to the port but we always allow at least 1hr, but would never leave it very tight to the absolute deadline.

Edited by Scriv

you can also request a late check out at all Premier Inns - the cost is iro £15 and that allows you to check out anytime up to 1600 hrs.

Rang Premier Inn City Centre Southampton and was told they could extend checkout to 1 pm free of charge. When I asked about paying for an extension I was told they don't do it as it is a city centre hotel.

I think most of us want to get on board as soon as possible to get the holiday started, the feeling that some may be on board before some have even set out for the terminal is not a good one :( Some people get lunch on board, others don't I think a way around the bad feeling would be to offer everyone with boarding times after around 2.30 free sail away drinks! Haha

Rang Premier Inn City Centre Southampton and was told they could extend checkout to 1 pm free of charge. When I asked about paying for an extension I was told they don't do it as it is a city centre hotel.

Interesting as PI head office told me they would! They said all of their hotels will but the charges are different....! But at least 1 pm is better than 12 noon, and is free.....

I read that it is a higher price for Premier Inns in London than elsewhere. Just as a matter of interest I will ask when we arrive there. I know sometimes different people tell you different things but I would expect the people working at the hotel to know.

I have read on another thread that people had started qeueing at 8 30am at Mayflower Terminal on a cruise last week - Crazy if true.

PS Jean, I have 12 30 on my Eticket for my cruise from Mayflower in 10 days time.

Edited by Scriv