ALWAYS ASK for a lower fare before paying....

SWFLCruzer

I reached out to Celebrity 3 weeks ago regarding an issue with cruise fares and it took them more than 3 weeks to respond and then in a totally unsatisfactory manner.

The back story: 6 couples are traveling together in staterooms of the same class on Celebrity Constellation Nov 19, 2015. Almost all are 1st time cruisers using one couple’s wedding anniversary as an excuse for trying a short cruise to see whether it was a vacation venue we’d all like to experience again. Reservations were made well in advance by speaking with Celebrity reps via telephone. No one from Celebrity mentioned the “Best Price Guarantee” or told any of the couples that we could check back for lower fares. All but 1 couple paid by calling Celebrity. Of the 5 that spoke with a rep, 1 couple simply mentioned the rate seemed high. Their rep VOLUNTARILY responded, “today is your lucky day” and proceeded to give them a rate $200 lower per person. No one else was offered a lower rate. No one else knew what to say or what to ask. The internet payer was doomed from the get-go!

When several of us called back 2 DAYS after the payment due date to request the lower rate, Celebrity provided conflicting information and passed us on to other departments. When I finally reached a person who took some ownership for logging the complaint I was told it needed to be escalated to the executive department and I would hear back in 3 business days. 3 business days turned into more than 3 weeks even given repeated phone calls to determine the response. When the response finally came, Celebrity REFUSED to do anything to make this trip equitable for the 6 couples traveling together or even recognize that their lack of consistent communication created problems. They kept referring to ineligibility for an upgrade due to the promotional option we had each selected with our reservations. How difficult would it be to issue ship board credit? Or offer a dining experience upgrade for the group?

I work in the hospitality industry and if we treated our complaining guests like this we’d soon be out of business.

What should have been a happy, friend-filled celebration of a wedding anniversary has been clouded by a less than hospitable experience with the cruise company. Needless to say Celebrity will not be getting business from us again.

If your cruise is on Nov 19 and you called them 3 weeks ago, it sounds like you were beyond the final payment date. You kinda confirm that by saying you called 2 days after your due date. Welcome to the world of cruising. You can't get a lower fare after that date.

When we booked our first cruise we knew nothing about cruising. Fortunately-most probably- we booked last minute and a very good price. There are a lot of little tricks and policies and rules that a new cruiser will know nothing about.

I found this site shortly after our first cruise so was a lot more informed when booking our second, and third..etc and still learning.

Cruise critic is a valuable learning tool. Just ignore the gripes and complaints and snide remarks sometimes written and take away the good stuff. Sorry you didn't find it until now. Don't let this ruin your trip. Cruising is a lot of fun.

I actually called them on Sept 22, the final due date was Sept 20. They responded TODAY. 3 weeks and 1 day later.

Unfortunately, two days after final payment date is two days AFTER. Not before. All bets are off as of final payment date. All sorts of negotiation can occur before, but things get set in concrete as of final payment date.

Again, we're all sorry you are just learning this now...but this is common in the cruise and tour industry. (Not so for hotels where cancellation without penalty is often up to the date of arrival, in case that's what you are comparing to).

So....the thing to do now is let go of the hope of price adjustment, accept that this is an area where all 12 of you have little experience (but please do read that contract so you have a better understanding of whether your expectations match up with Cruising Reality) and find your way back here to ask questions and educate yourself more about cruising before your trip. I know you are just plain upset right now, and that's OK. But start to let it go so you can look forward to and enjoy your trip.

So, did you think the price was too high when you booked it? Or, was it only because someone else in your group got a better deal that you decided your price was too high?

Not all rooms in a hotel are rented at the same price. Not all seats on a plane are sold at the same fare. And not all cabins on a ship are sold at the same rate. It happens. You appear to have booked on a rate that does not provide for price matching. That happens, too.

Hate to tell you this, but what you experienced happens on EVERY cruise line, not just Celebrity. So if this experience soured you on Celebrity, you're going to cross cruising off your vacation list since you will find the same thing happens on all cruise lines.

So, what would you have done if the fare for your cruise increased, which it often does, after final payment? Would you have called the cruise line and paid the up charge? Hotels, airlines and cruise lines don't charge the same prices to everyone. Do you think an airline would give me a rebate if I found out that the person who sat next to me on a plane paid $200 less than I did? NEVER !

ALL cruise lines change fares all the time, and they make the rules with regards to how they handle the fare changes. Many times, a lower fare will be for new bookings only. Reduced fares after final payment date rarely will be applied to existing reservations. Sure, if you push the matter, they rarely will give you an on board credit, but you will most likely lose any perks you got with your original booking. That's just how things are done in the cruising world. And like I said, it happens on all cruise lines, not just Celebrity.

I reached out to Celebrity 3 weeks ago regarding an issue with cruise fares and it took them more than 3 weeks to respond and then in a totally unsatisfactory manner.

The back story: 6 couples are traveling together in staterooms of the same class on Celebrity Constellation Nov 19, 2015. Almost all are 1st time cruisers using one couple’s wedding anniversary as an excuse for trying a short cruise to see whether it was a vacation venue we’d all like to experience again. Reservations were made well in advance by speaking with Celebrity reps via telephone. No one from Celebrity mentioned the “Best Price Guarantee” or told any of the couples that we could check back for lower fares. All but 1 couple paid by calling Celebrity. Of the 5 that spoke with a rep, 1 couple simply mentioned the rate seemed high. Their rep VOLUNTARILY responded, “today is your lucky day” and proceeded to give them a rate $200 lower per person. No one else was offered a lower rate. No one else knew what to say or what to ask. The internet payer was doomed from the get-go!

When several of us called back 2 DAYS after the payment due date to request the lower rate, Celebrity provided conflicting information and passed us on to other departments. When I finally reached a person who took some ownership for logging the complaint I was told it needed to be escalated to the executive department and I would hear back in 3 business days. 3 business days turned into more than 3 weeks even given repeated phone calls to determine the response. When the response finally came, Celebrity REFUSED to do anything to make this trip equitable for the 6 couples traveling together or even recognize that their lack of consistent communication created problems. They kept referring to ineligibility for an upgrade due to the promotional option we had each selected with our reservations. How difficult would it be to issue ship board credit? Or offer a dining experience upgrade for the group?

I work in the hospitality industry and if we treated our complaining guests like this we’d soon be out of business.

What should have been a happy, friend-filled celebration of a wedding anniversary has been clouded by a less than hospitable experience with the cruise company. Needless to say Celebrity will not be getting business from us again.

If this isn't a great argument for getting a TA who is a top producer for your choice of line, I don't know what is. Someone doing, perhaps, millions a year in business with a particular line would have the best shot at getting you any reasonable adjustment and a few unbelievable ones. When it comes to a cruise line's own rep or (PVP) bending over backwards for your request, you and your group are little more than a rounding error to the people who pay their salary.

BTW, I grew up in Brooklyn (though now a northern Californian). Thanks to my parents and neighbors, my first full childhood spoken sentence was "never pay retail."

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

My upcoming Summit sailing on Saturday, I booked the PH a few days after final payment. 4 days later the price dripped $2000 per person.

That's how fares work. I could have saved $4000 had I gambled and waited longer to book, but I found what I wanted and grabbed it when it came available.

FINAL means FINAL, not FINAL for everyone but you and your friends.

What they should have done is immediately said, sorry no, nothing ee can do. and that should have been that. Instead they attempted customer service by raising up the chain, yes it took longer than expected, but the end result was nonetheless the same as it was up front, so nothing lost really. I'd be happy they took extra time frankly to attempt a resolution, and look to that extra time as great service, not crap service.

Take the ill-gotten $200 one of the group saved that probably wasn't allowed and "got by" with something, and share the wealth, and buy the group dinner.

So that you might actually enjoy this trip, have you looked into upgrades?

Most cruise lines allow you to upgrade if the new fare is the same as what you paid, once past final payment date.

And maybe look at the situation in a different light- at one point, you were happy paying whatever you paid to go on your vacation. Be happy.

More than once, we've done the free or super low increase for a room upgrade. You have time- try it.

Hopefully, with all the information you've received on your two threads about this issue, you've understand what happened a little better.

You did not receive poor customer service with Celebrity. You just didn't get the price you wanted. It's just the way it goes sometimes, whether it be with airline tickets, hotels, cars, houses, etc. If you let this spoil your trip, that would be a shame.

Edited by 6rugrats

I know paying more then your friend stings and it would be nice if X did something to make it up to you. But as a consumer, I would never expect a company to give me money back after the contract I agreed to so that I'm not entitled to anything back. Final payment means final payment.

To give another perspective, the fact that X's EE department took the time to respond to you in the first place speaks to their high level of customer service. Just like every business, there is a queue of inquires which need to be responded to, first come first served. Your complaint was addressed by the first level you spoke with and reiterated by every level prior to contacting EE. Repeat contacts cost a company time and money, why would they pay out an extra $200 per reservation because someone isn't happy about their contracted rate?

Perhaps if you're within the first part of the penalty windows, cancel, lose the deposit and rebook. Maybe you'll get a better deal while loosing the deposit...maybe you'll pay more. Let it go, have a good time, and if you really are not a fan of cruising, plan your next vacation on land.

SWFLCruzer user_offline.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon9.gifALWAYS ASK for a lower fare before paying....

No one from Celebrity mentioned the “Best Price Guarantee” or told any of the couples that we could check back for lower fares.

Please explain one single business that says, hey, we are charging $10 for this product and if you aren't smart enough to be proactive and watch for sales, you won't get one. Instead we will call you each and every day with updates just in case we can lower the price. You have to be proactive in your spending, not the other way around.

Of the 5 that spoke with a rep, 1 couple simply mentioned the rate seemed high. Their rep VOLUNTARILY responded, “today is your lucky day” and proceeded to give them a rate $200 lower per person. No one else was offered a lower rate. Why should they? You and your friends didn't ask for it. Was the cruise line supposed to know who you and your friends were? Did your friend speak up for the rest of you? No one else knew what to say or what to ask. The internet payer was doomed from the get-go! Okay, you didn't know what you were doing and you didn't hire a professional - and the problem with the cruise line is?

When several of us called back 2 DAYS after the payment due date to request the lower rate, Celebrity provided conflicting information and passed us on to other departments. You don't say when your friends got this lower rate, but it appears they got it before they paid the final amount. So, you didn't call before you paid for your cruise. You waited until after the final due date and now you are pissed because you called late and they can't do anything for you? Let's put it a different way. You go our for lunch. It was great. You were happy, you paid, you left. Two days later you find out that Joe down the street had the same thing but paid $10 less for his meal so you call up indignant that how dare the restaurant not offer you the same price and you want a refund. I want to talk to their supervisor or higher. Give me the CEO!

I just wish people would take responsibility for themselves instead of blaming their short fallings on other people. You snoozed and you lost.

Sorry - my copy feature isn't working.