Overwhelmed--Allure or Jewel during Spring Break?

pdcsgirl

I need to get something booked for our kids' Spring Break (first time they've ever had one!). I missed the boat--pun intended--on the Disney cruise that we wanted, so I've researched alternatives and have to confess that I'm overwhelmed.

Both DH and I have cruised--myself even more extensively. I've probably been on 10 or so cruises although nothing since 2007 and never with kids. I've even spent a week in the largest (Presidential?) Suite on the Summit (fabulous by the way!!) My preference would be Celebrity, because all my cruises on it were much better than my 1 on Royal, although in all fairness the Royal one was way back in 1998. I remember the food being particularly disappointing. I also like the more relaxed style on Celebrity.

But now we have kids, so I'm thinking they would be happier on Royal. Would going with a smaller ship--Jewel--give DH and me some relaxation while still giving the kids a lot of activities (plus other kids, since it's spring break)? Or should just suck it up and do the Allure, despite my fears that it's so big and so busy that there will be nothing remotely relaxing about it for DH and me, especially during Spring Break? Allure would be doing the Western Caribbean, stopping at Labadee, where I've never been, and offering 3 sea days. Jewel would be out of San Juan, stopping at a number of islands but having only 1 sea day.

Kids will be 8 (boy) and 6 (girl). Sophisticated eaters because we eat out a lot. Good swimmers. Used to being in summer camp and after school programs with other kids but I could also see one or both of them just wanting to hang at the pool with us. So honestly, at a loss as to what I need from each ship.

I'm so confused. Help!

We have yet to go on our Allure cruise so I am not talking from experience but from research. With your kids ages (and especially since you were looking at Disney), I would go on the Allure, or if you want a smaller ship, then one with the DreamWorks experience such as Freedom of the Seas. They have parades, shows, etc with the characters which would be tons of fun for your kids. They would also probably enjoy the H20 zone which i don't think the Jewel has (although it looks like there is a small waterslide).

Having said that, you can't go wrong with whatever you decide. Royal's ships are family friendly and tons of fun.

We were on the Liberty with our family this summer...grandkids ages 3, 7 and 10. I would absolutely suggest a Freedom class ship (Freedom, Liberty or Independence) or an Oasis class (Oasis or Allure) for the kids in your age group. I think the Jewel would be less entertaining for the kids.

I would definitely do Allure - the facilities for kids are outstanding. I love Radiance class ships but if I was travelling with kids Allure would win hands down.

Don't think that the size of the ship equals crowds - they do a great job on Allure of keeping crowding down as there are so many places to disperse to. Also, if eating out is a thing with you, there are so many difference places to eat on Allure.

I woud absolutely recommend Allure, no question about it for kids of that age. While Jewel is supposed to be an amazing ship in its own right, it attracts a different type of customer as it does not offer as much. You will have to know going in that this isn't going to be a super relaxing vacation for you and DH....there WILL be a ton of kids on board Allure but I guarantee this will be an unforgettable experience for you and your family.

We have been on Oasis/Allure 4 times now and my kids absolutely love it. Our most recent was this summer and my kids are 10 (boy) and 8 (girl). My son can't get enough of the Flowrider and my daughter can't get enough of the kids H20 zone which has the whirlpool (not hottub).

My son has fun in the kids club and goes a few times in the evening or part of an afternoon on a sea day, but my daughter hates it. That's just how she is....even though she always went to child care and such. It does make it hard on myself and DH as it doesn't give us much time at all to relax by ourself, but it s a family vacation afterall.

Yes, you will have a good cruise on either Royal. We travel with our 5 year old and 7 year old grandkids. We have been on both Allure and Oasis and it is the WOW factor of Royal that your kids will enjoy. If you are asking, then I vote Allure.

That said we are going on Liberty of the Seas in January, 2016 and expect to have a great time also.

If you found the food disappointing in 1998, then you are probably not going to like the offerings today....big changes since then! Used to be a true 5 course meal...now it's 3....no great presentation anymore...no china or silver or crystal......butter is now wrapped in foil...

it's definitely not like it was!

That said, you will sail Allure for the ship....plenty for the kids...and you can relax or not...you don't HAVE to participate in all the activities if you don't want to!

Jewel is NOT a "small" ship by any means....true..it's smaller than Allure, but it's still pretty big!!!

I would go on either in a heart beat. (done both twice) I think the kids would like Allure more. I am an empty nester and try to avoid a lot of the kid stuff, but on a big ship like Allure there is room from everybody.

If you have kids, I'd go for Royal Caribbean over Celebrity. Celebrity's crowd is older and there's not that much to do for children. Even I had trouble finding interesting people my age (I'm 26) .

I've been on the Jewel during Spring Break and being young myself (25 then), I particularly enjoyed hanging out with other spring breakers. The people I'm talking about are 20-23 years old. There were also lots of teenagers on the ship during that period. Food on the Jewel was not the best though.

I've never been on Allure but from what I've heard I think this one would be best for the smaller children 6 & 8 years old. :)

OP, you never stated your reason for selecting Jewel? Is it because you like the itinerary? It sails out of San Juan? (Maybe your'e closer to it than Fort Lauderdale)? There is some feature? The current waterslide? The cost? Just curious why Jewel with kids? You've selected two very different ships/ports.

Will add my 2 cents here. With kids that age definitely go with Allure. We have been on both, although without the kids on Jewel. Yes, Allure is big with lots to do, but you can decide to chill and relax. No need to do it all, totally up to you. On the other hand on Allure the kids will have so much to keep them busy it will give you time to relax on your own as long as they enjoy the kids clubs.

Allure for the Kids would be my vote--

side note-- we sailed the Summit last year in November --our kids are grown but we frankly prefer the overall vibe at Royal and are sailing Royal this November again. Food is better on Celebrity--especially the specialty restaurants-- but the feel and level of activity on Royal is better in our opinion.