Using iPhone for email on board

travelingduo

WARNING WARNING WARNING

I had the VERIZON plan that did NOT connect or work on the REGATTA in SEPT

Unfortunatly. I tried at every port to call VERIZON on the TA they did NOT help or know the problem--ATT and SPRINT were working----

Since then they have STILL not responded with the cause or IF my phone will work on the RIVERIA in JAN!!!

FRUSTRATING

FRANK

I expect that you already know this but, many older VERIZON phones are not "world" phones (I.e., not capable of connecting to the non-US networks.

We have used Vonage (VOIP) at home for almost twenty years. They have an app (apple or android) that wherever you are connected to wi-fi in the world, you use it as you would as if you are at home. Real simple!

You can also set it up to have your cell phone ring if your home phone rings, and then answer it any place in the world as long as you are connected to wi-fi.

All included in your phone bill. I have two lines for $15/mo. each.

We spent a few weeks in England this summer and it worked like a charm!

The ship has wi-fi....it will work there.

The app is called Vonage Extensions. (you have to have a Vonage account)

Edited by smilin jack

Actually, IMO, it is the people that demand to be connected to the world 24/7 and complain about the connectivity on board that is the problem. Those of us that do not care or need to be connected don't mind either way but get a bit tired of the constant complaints. On the other hand, I feel that it is very important to warn posters that they need to be absolutely certain that they can email (or call) from the ship without paying the ship's fees as they be extremely expensive. This is about caring - not being judgmental!

So why would you post on a comment board that aggrevates you so much?

But to answer your question---some people have a life other than satying on these boards and posting--that actually cruise ---and for my self, I need to stay in touch with my business and because of family,I need to be able to have a contact for them---

Being connected allowed us to be taking our 118 cruise next week---

FRANK

I expect that you already know this but, many older VERIZON phones are not "world" phones (I.e., not capable of connecting to the non-US networks.

YEP

I have an IPHONE6 with int roaming data plan--BUT would not work on the ship,voice --text---data--- of course on land it did---

Just to let everyone know that Verizon has not resolved the issue and I had to go up several levels to get my $$$ refunded---

as I said this was on the REGATTA

FRANK

An interesting question ... but I think you would have to buy Oceania's package because you need to sign in to the system in order to use it. The best option is to have free internet, then you don't need to worry. :D

Other than that, perhaps buying the cheapest option would be the way to go. You shouldn't need the most expensive version which is unlimited by the day (averaging around $25/day, I think). Or you could just pay by the minute ... which the last time I looked (a very long time ago) was $.99/minute.

Mura

If there are per MB plans available I would suggest NOT buying a by the minute plan. As the connection at sea can be slower than 56K dial up at times, you'll can end up burning through a time based plan very quickly.

If there are per MB plans available I would suggest NOT buying a by the minute plan. As the connection at sea can be slower than 56K dial up at times, you'll can end up burning through a time based plan very quickly.

I only suggested the per minute plan in case OP would be using a very few minutes. You wouldn't want to use that plan if you plan on more usage.

I have never used a per minute plan myself ... I used to get a 200 minute plan on a 2 week cruise which generally was sufficient.

Answers posted after my first comment showed that I am very unaware of phone plans anyway. I bring on my laptop and connect that way, I don't use my phone for the purpose. So I probably should have kept quiet ... would have, if anyone else had answered at the time!

Mura

Do you suggest laptop versus phone for email to avoid the minutes issue?

We have a "last call free internet package" . I'm considering lugging my laptop for use in the stateroom and purchasing an small international plan to make (just a few) phone calls and texts. does that make sense?

If you have a smart phone you can access the internet on it, no need to lug your laptop unless you want to. You can also use an app called Vibr for texts over the internet, as long as the other party also has it.

An interesting question ... but I think you would have to buy Oceania's package because you need to sign in to the system in order to use it. The best option is to have free internet, then you don't need to worry. :D

Other than that, perhaps buying the cheapest option would be the way to go. You shouldn't need the most expensive version which is unlimited by the day (averaging around $25/day, I think). Or you could just pay by the minute ... which the last time I looked (a very long time ago) was $.99/minute.

Mura

NO

The premise of the Verizon plan is that you will NOT connect to ships wifi but will connect over there VOIP system--you can buy the 100 MB or 250 MB plan but

As I said, it did not work on the REGATTA in SEPT.

FRANK

If you have a smart phone you can access the internet on it, no need to lug your laptop unless you want to. You can also use an app called Vibr for texts over the internet, as long as the other party also has it.

Free phone calls -- lots of options

Viber -- as with texts both parties need to be on it

T-Mobile through wifi

Comcast through their app if you have their phone service. You can even call a us 800 number. It's as if ur calling from your home phone

Btw. You can make free phone calls with Viber and Comcast on the ship in the middle of the ocean. You just need the wifi connection

The premise of the Verizon plan is that you will NOT connect to ships wifi but will connect over there VOIP system--you can buy the 100 MB or 250 MB plan but

You lost me...VOIP (voice over internet protocol). The only internet on the ship is the ship's internet that I am aware of.

Verizion, ATT and other cellular phone company's use cellular data that you pay for.

Skype, Vonage, and other VOIP company's just use the internet. Buy the onboard internet package, and you can talk all day on VOIP, no extra charge.

NO

FRANK

Frank it could have been many things. Phone issues or more likely Regatta issues. Your plan that Verizon enabled gives you a better rate rather than the standard $0.02/kb rate. The $50 for 250MB is for data only. I have had issues connecting many times on Nautica and other O ships with my ATT service. I get Cellular at Sea voice but the Edge data would not always connect.

Have to generally go to manual mode and select the carrier manually.

I have since decided that it is cheaper in the long run to just buy the O internet package. (Note the ATT cruise plan is $$$ than Verizon) and there is no restriction on amount of data.

Like you I work and need to be connected even when on vacation.

Edited by PaulMCO