What Stateroom Amenities would you like to see added or restored?

LMaxwell

Over the years we have all watched as stateroom amenities have been removed or reduced. Now Carnival is piloting a program to find out if you want the standard and traditional amount of services, or if you would be happy with less.

Carnival is always looking to save costs and increase profits. Great for them. But I'm not Carnival and my interests are in maximizing the value I get for my discretionary vacation dollars.

What are some items that have been removed that you would like to see returned to staterooms? Or what are some ideas for new amenities or services that could be offered? It can be something large or small, if it is something that you would appreciate then please share it; you can not be 'wrong' and should ignore the loyalists who will almost certainly try to co-opt this thread to shout down suggestions and opinions on improvements.

I would suggest bringing back the bathroom amenity trays. they were very useful. I'm not sure what I would suggest new to add; I will have to think of that more.

No, actually, I think this is just another thread started so people can come here and bash Carnival for cutbacks.

Anyway, the bathroom amenities basket was nice. But those items didn't come from Carnival. You do realize that, right? Those were marketing samples and it appears that THOSE companies decided to spend their marketing dollars elsewhere.

Do you want your fare increased so Carnival can purchase those little goodies for you? Not me! I'd much rather purchase my own razor, toothpaste, lotion, whatever, than have Carnival spending my money for me to put things in the cabin that I probably don't want or need.

I want to be able to order room service on the TV or my cell/an app instead of calling. (This may be a thing on some ships now? It's so reasonable, I feel like it must be? But probably not yet.) Ditto for ordering extra towels, ice, or regularly needed things from housekeeping. I hate hate hate hate hate having to call someone to get what I need. IRL, we never order take out from anyone who doesn't have online ordering.

Edited by berrieh
wrong word

No, actually, I think this is just another thread started so people can come here and bash Carnival for cutbacks.

It was not and it will not be if you do not allow it to be.

I can think of an addition; throwaway slippers would be a nice perk; I don't like to walk barefoot on any carpeting or even in socks, but I don't keep shoes on in the room. Nothing major, but it would be nice.

I want to be able to order room service on the TV or my cell/an app instead of calling. (This may be a thing on some ships now? It's so reasonable, I feel like it must be? But probably not yet.) Ditto for ordering extra towels, ice, or regularly needed things from housekeeping. I hate hate hate hate hate having to call someone to get what I need. IRL, we never order take out from anyone who doesn't have online ordering.

I think some ships have that now.

Lots of items could be made interactive on the TV:

Sales paraphanelia

Duplicate of FunTimes

Daily MDR menu

View room charges/account

Order room service

book excursions

I wouldn't necessarily make the TV the ONLY way, but as an option, yes. I think it is a great idea.

Marketing 101

Tylenol, Colgate,,,,etc. gave those marketing samplers to Carnival for free to broaden brand recognition.

Those companies have now cut back on those samplers.

And you want to blame Carnival for cutting back? Don't be a sheep

Marketing 101

Tylenol, Colgate,,,,etc. gave those marketing samplers to Carnival for free to broaden brand recognition.

Those companies have now cut back on those samplers.

And you want to blame Carnival for cutting back? Don't be a sheep

Thanks everyone for the marketing lessons about the amenity basket. I was not aware. I'd still like to see some form of toiletry kit.

Did you have a suggestion for something to add to the rooms that you would like to see? Please share yours.

I would like to see built in USB chargers as well; many hotels have them built into lamps. Perhaps in the near future bedside lamps will be changed from halogen or incandescent bulbs to low power LED's and new light fixtures could easily incorporate a USB port.

I would love to have a way to play music when I'm getting ready or taking a shower (not crazy loud, don't worry.)

Also an actual way to control the room to a specific temperature.

And I know you can have a bathtub in a suite, but that's outta my price range and I would love a long bubblebath sometimes.

I would love to have a way to play music when I'm getting ready or taking a shower (not crazy loud, don't worry.)

If / when they go to smart interactive TV's having bluetooth is not out of range of possibility. Then you could just pair your device with the TV and play music through there. That would work!

The other thing I forgot is that I wish they wouldn't disconnect the ports (well, the remote access) on the TVs that have them. If we ever do a B2B (talked about it, but never sure DH could endure that length between being away from the pups and the gaming machines), we'll want to bring a PS4 or something. I have heard from forums and a friend that you can bring a universal remote, access the other ports, and use it for an XB1/PS4 or something but it sounds a hassle. I don't really get the logic of blocking the ports on the remote or how it helps Carnival in any way. But maybe I'm missing something. This isn't really an "amenity" though and not all TVs are the "new" ones anyway but on some boats we know it will be and would bring a gaming device if it were easily accommodated (I use the word "new" lightly - new to CCL as there are old box TVs in some rooms too somehow! Super old!). I do always bring my Vita and DH his iPad but that's all for now.

Sales paraphanelia

Duplicate of FunTimes

Daily MDR menu

Order room service

book excursions

I wouldn't necessarily make the TV the ONLY way, but as an option, yes. I think it is a great idea.

I have seen the Fun Times on TV before (I think at least) and definitely the MDR menu. I have definitely viewed charges for my Sign&Sail on there. I have not booked excursions as we pre-book excursions much further ahead so can't say if they have that. But they have some of the stuff you've mentioned. Never seen any sort of room (housekeeping or food) ordering on there yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few ships had it already as it seems logical on both ends, for the customer's ease and the staff's ease, as an option.

Steakhouse reservations would be nice on there! And other specialty restaurants.

Well.

We are returning to Carnival after 5 years, having spent that time experiencing what other cruise lines have to offer. It will be interesting to see what changes are evident.

But I need to put things into perspective. We've snagged an Eastern Caribbean sailing for next summer on the Carnival Valor for a little over $50 per day. $50! And that's during "high season"!! For that amount of money, I can't realistically expect anything more than a pump with liquid soap in the shower. Yes, it would be nice for them to offer bedroom slippers, upgraded toiletries, more personal service with extra fluffy towels and ice at the snap of my fingers, a sound system where to play my favorite cruise music, and more in room amenities, but I need to be realistic here. Budget prices buy a budget experience and I need to be fine with that if I want to enjoy this upcoming cruise.

I know many are sick of hearing this, but if you want a more upscale experience, it's logical to gravitate towards other cruise lines that already provide that and pay the higher prices accordingly, instead of wishing that Carnival were something that they are not.

Edited by Tapi

Well.

We are returning to Carnival after 5 years, having spent that time experiencing what other cruise lines have to offer. It will be interesting to see what changes are evident.

But I need to put things into perspective. We've snagged an Eastern Caribbean sailing for next summer on the Carnival Valor for a little over $50 per day. $50! And that's during "high season"!! For that amount of money, I can't realistically expect anything more than a pump with liquid soap in the shower. Yes, it would be nice for them to offer bedroom slippers, upgraded toiletries, more personal service with extra fluffy towels and ice at the snap of my fingers, a sound system where to play my favorite cruise music, and more in room amenities, but I need to be realistic here. Budget prices buy a budget experience and I need to be fine with that if I want to enjoy this upcoming cruise.

I know many are sick of hearing this, but if you want a more upscale experience, it's logical to gravitate towards other cruise lines that already provide that and pay the higher prices accordingly, instead of wishing that Carnival were something that they are not.

Agreed.......just like if you want to stay at a Holiday Inn hotel and expect what you would get if you stayed at a Four Seasons hotel.

Well.

you have a good perspective and sound pretty realistic; but business lesson aside, isn't there something you'd appreciate being available in the room? Not asking facetiously. Even a 10 cent item might be something that you find appealing or adds value.

you have a good perspective and sound pretty realistic; but business lesson aside, isn't there something you'd appreciate being available in the room? Not asking facetiously. Even a 10 cent item might be something that you find appealing or adds value.

Thanks. For me, things that make the stateroom more functional would be greatly appreciated. As things in the stateroom age and need replacement, maybe incorporate an USB port or extra outlet in the light fixture as someone mentioned above. Things of that nature would be of much more value than upgraded toiletries or chocolates on the pillow.

Maybe an alarm clock. It's no biggie to bring my travel one which I do, but it would be nice not to have to. Never understood why someone thought we don't need to tell the time in our rooms. At least Celebrity has the time on the phones. Not the most convenient place, but at least it's something.

It was not and it will not be if you do not allow it to be.

I can think of an addition; throwaway slippers would be a nice perk; I don't like to walk barefoot on any carpeting or even in socks, but I don't keep shoes on in the room. Nothing major, but it would be nice.

Bring your own throwaway slippers. Why should Carnival provide throwaway slippers that few people will use?

A bar of soap the is not Chinese prison soap.

LOL. I like how it is packaged in clear plastic with the word SOAP on the outside. Like the old generic items in the grocery store. It used to be a name brand of soap a few years back, can't remember the name though.

Sales paraphanelia

Duplicate of FunTimes

Daily MDR menu

Order room service

book excursions

On my recent survey, I suggested the Captain's announcements and any information regarding port changes should be looped on the TVs.

Maybe an alarm clock. It's no biggie to bring my travel one which I do, but it would be nice not to have to. Never understood why someone thought we don't need to tell the time in our rooms. At least Celebrity has the time on the phones. Not the most convenient place, but at least it's something.

Duh! Of course, why didn't I think of that? It would save room and weight in my luggage. A clock should be standard in all cabins, on all passenger ships on all fleets worldwide in my opinion.

I don't want "perks." I don't cruise for perks-- I don't go to Vegas for perks. The "perks" that are important to me are a pleasurable vacation at a reasonable price. Carnival gives us that more than any other cruise line. Slippers, razors, and all the other items on the other lines are fine-- I don't care if I don't have them. Give me a fun vacation for a good price.