Cautionary tale

pizzadog

Lets give the OP a break! They are not asking anyone to feel sorry for them, or screaming how they were ripped off. Just simply warning people to be careful, and ask to see a menu in a tourist area so you don't have sticker shock.

To OP and others that have written about their experience, it's a piece of information to keep tucked in the back of my brain. We are going on a cruise next summer that includes Rome & Naples. It would never have occurred to me that a drink inside a café would be cheaper than one with a view. That's a tidbit I will remember.

When my husband and I were in Venice we naively sat at one of the outdoor cafes in St. Marks Square. We each ordered a piece of pie and a cup of coffee. The bill was the equivalent of $60 Canadian. It was the first time I have ever not left a tip in a restaurant. I'm sure it wasn't the server's fault but I was so angry at being taken advantage of that I wasn't parting with another cent in that place.

I didn't tell my husband what the bill was until after we had left the restaurant.

No one needs to post a business name here in order for us to not pay more than we would have expected.

Ask to see a menu.....

Ask the server the prices.......

No surprise that way.

OP here. Agree completely with your points. It was certainly on us to do our due diligence. Put it down to inexperience and naïveté. And no, I don't think we need to alert the government lol, but I did want to let others know what happened to us.

No one needs to post a business name here in order for us to not pay more than we would have expected.

Ask to see a menu.....

Ask the server the prices.......

No surprise that way.

Another rule to add to this is to be suspicious of places with a "hard sell" out front. I love South Beach for the Deco architecture, but I will not eat at the restaurants on Ocean Drive. Way too much hard sell (also way too much loud music and overpriced/oversized drinks). In addition to the menu, they always have specials with no price mentioned. I've read some doozies on Trip Advisor about these places. Most entrees run $25-30, so people think the special won't be much more than that, and then the check arrives, and the special is $100 or more.

Places that get a lot of tourists don't care who they rip off because repeat business is not their goal. There will be a new bunch of people to fleece tomorrow.

Lets give the OP a break! They are not asking anyone to feel sorry for them, or screaming how they were ripped off. Just simply warning people to be careful, and ask to see a menu in a tourist area so you don't have sticker shock.

To OP and others that have written about their experience, it's a piece of information to keep tucked in the back of my brain. We are going on a cruise next summer that includes Rome & Naples. It would never have occurred to me that a drink inside a café would be cheaper than one with a view. That's a tidbit I will remember.

Amazing isn't it? The OP posts a caution for members benefit and gets criticized for doing so.

Totally agree. OP was not whining- only sharing the experience. And thank you, OP, for sharing.

And I agree, that was a lot for tortillas (chips?), salsa and guacamole and 2 margaritas. At least around here, chips and salsa is normally complementary.

Adding: I realize this was in a different port, and different circumstances, but in March I paid something like $8 for a lunch sized quesadilla, filled with shrimp and oozing with lovely Mexican cheese, and what turned out to be close to 3/4 c guacamole. This was on a HAL tour that included chips, salsa and one drink of choice. Most everyone got a margarita.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

2 drinks @ $ 10.00 each

1 nibbles for 2... $16.00

Tip included.

Wi Fi free included.

$36? Not that bad. Might be a bit pricey.... but not a rip off.

Sorry but don't agree...Mexico prices can't be compared to prices in Bermuda & Italy..We've been to Mexico at least 6 times & never paid prices like the OP paid.. We've also driven throughout Italy & agree the prices are higher. IMO it was a rip-off..

Take a look at the review by Shelister of the Café Juanita in Huatulco..They had a complete meal with soup & or salad, for 4 people there with 2 wines, 1 Beer & 1 Gin & Tonic for $140 Canadian Dollars..

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150789-d1372245-r307541964-Cafe_Juanita-Huatulco_Southern_Mexico.html

They also have breakfast menus but I can't figure out if the prices are in dollars or peso's..

Cautionary indeed. We had drinks and natchos in Huatulco at one of the beachside cafes there in April, it did not come anywhere near that cost. No wonder he was out there hauling people in! - I think I know which place you went to, and we opted for another one close-by.

Thanks Lizzie for posting your experience in Huatulco.. I agree you have to be very careful with those Shills.. I also meant what I said about reporting the prices to the Mexican Embassy &/or the consulate.. If enough people make complaints, maybe these places would not rip off so many of the "Rich American's" Not my words, I travelled extensively in my job & have been told exactly that!

We sometimes had our Passengers complain about prices in several areas that we serviced & reported it to us.. Our Management forwarded those complaints to some of the RIP-off establishments & we were amazed when several of them actually wrote letters of apology & once in a while even offered refunds.. They need Tourists & don't want to get bad reviews..

If you don't let others know about these Rip off places, they will keep doing it..

The OP realizes they should have checked the menu first & perhaps walked out of the establishment when they saw the prices..I would bet that in the future they will do that../SIZE]

Edited by serendipity1499

OH MY! What a Rip-off! :( I think that you should also alert the Mexican authorities, perhaps even the embassy in DCA & also report this to HAL Customer Service.. You will not get your money back, but this IMO is a SCAM! If you paid by Credit Card, you might also alert your CC company..

So sorry you were taken advantage of..

At first I thought you were being sarcastic. Then I realized you're serious.

But $37 for 2 margaritas, plus appetizers for two people, although pricey, is not a rip-off. And it is definitely not a scam.

At first I thought you were being sarcastic. Then I realized you're serious.

But $37 for 2 margaritas, plus appetizers for two people, although pricey, is not a rip-off. And it is definitely not a scam.

I'm sorry but I do not agree.. Look at the prices in the Café Juanita in Huatalco ..Look at some of the reviews..on trip Advisor.. Those of us who are/were in the Travel Industry, which I was a part of, do not like to see people being ripped off.. I do consider it a Rip-Off & a Scam when you have shills trying to get people into the establishment...Of course my company has since gone out of business due to a merger, :(but I am/was proud to say that we took complaints like this seriously..

Please look at Lizzies post & the other poster above mine.. Prices in Mexico are not like that!. In my post I quoted from a review on Trip advisor where a group of four tourists had a complete dinner with drinks for $140 Canadian Dollars..:) Sorry I was not being sarcastic, I was trying to be honest.. I live in a Tourist town in Florida & realize that some are quite expensive, but not that bad..BTW it was not appetizers for two people.. Suggest you read all of the OP's posts.. It was an appetizer for ONE..

Edited by serendipity1499

It is the same in Paris if you happen to go there. You can sit outside and people watch for ages.

Unless you experienced what the OP experienced I do you know it wasn't a rip off.

We were there in 2012. A man approached as we got off the ship and directed us to a cafe near the beach; actually walked with us to the table in the cafe. A waiter approached us and asked us what we would like to drink or eat without showing us a menu. I told him to bring us a menu. He was reluctant but finally got us a menu. The prices were a rip off ! Period !

If you think this a rip-off price, then please never visit London or Europe. Two marghritas may cost in excess of $36 in London even if the tortilla are complimentary and the bar looks a bit seedy.

It is all relative. What one tourist considers to be a rip-off price, another tourist will find reasonable.

As for following a man to a bar....... I am surprised we not heed our advice to our own children when telling them never to talk to or follow strangers.

I have to laugh at those comparing it to London or indeed anywhere in Europe. This is Huatulco in Mexico we are talking about. Seedy beachfront (because there's nowhere else) cafes.:rolleyes: and aggressive vendors everywhere.

Sounds like a charming place (NOT). I hate aggressive vendors. What's there to make it a cruise port stop?

Sounds like a charming place (NOT). I hate aggressive vendors. What's there to make it a cruise port stop?

That is a good question! I didn't think it was seedy. It is a man made resort and I think the ships stop there to encourage people to love it and come back and stay in the resorts. I was surprised to find the ship would overnite there.:(

Karen

Sorry but don't agree...Mexico prices can't be compared to prices in Bermuda & Italy..We've been to Mexico at least 6 times & never paid prices like the OP paid.. We've also driven throughout Italy & agree the prices are higher. IMO it was a rip-off..

Take a look at the review by Shelister of the Café Juanita in Huatulco..They had a complete meal with soup & or salad, for 4 people there with 2 wines, 1 Beer & 1 Gin & Tonic for $140 Canadian Dollars..

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150789-d1372245-r307541964-Cafe_Juanita-Huatulco_Southern_Mexico.html

They also have breakfast menus but I can't figure out if the prices are in dollars or peso's..

Thanks Lizzie for posting your experience in Huatulco.. I agree you have to be very careful with those Shills.. I also meant what I said about reporting the prices to the Mexican Embassy &/or the consulate.. If enough people make complaints, maybe these places would not rip off so many of the "Rich American's" Not my words, I travelled extensively in my job & have been told exactly that!

We sometimes had our Passengers complain about prices in several areas that we serviced & reported it to us.. Our Management forwarded those complaints to some of the RIP-off establishments & we were amazed when several of them actually wrote letters of apology & once in a while even offered refunds.. They need Tourists & don't want to get bad reviews..

If you don't let others know about these Rip off places, they will keep doing it..

The OP realizes they should have checked the menu first & perhaps walked out of the establishment when they saw the prices..I would bet that in the future they will do that../SIZE]

In general I agree with you about Mexico vs Bermuda and Italy. But Huatulco is hardly real Mexico. It's a manufactured port town for tourists.

Lots of jewellery shops and T-shirt places, a few cafes. Many, many vendors. Boat trips around the bays are nice. Excursions away from the dock area are nice. There are lots of AI resorts in the area.

When my husband and I were in Venice we naively sat at one of the outdoor cafes in St. Marks Square. We each ordered a piece of pie and a cup of coffee. The bill was the equivalent of $60 Canadian. It was the first time I have ever not left a tip in a restaurant. I'm sure it wasn't the server's fault but I was so angry at being taken advantage of that I wasn't parting with another cent in that place.

I didn't tell my husband what the bill was until after we had left the restaurant.

Yup. That's why I mentioned Italy specifically in my prior post. My DH and I have traveled extensively on land throughout Italy. The premise is that in those piazzas and scenic areas, you are paying for the privledge of having the table, not necessarily the food items. If you went inside the cafe and ordered the same food, you would have had it at a fraction of the price. But then again you wouldn't have gotten to sit in St Mark's Square, which hopefully you enjoyed.

We have many Italian friends who confirm it isn't this way just for the tourists, it's just part of the Italian business culture. Even in the smallest towns, there are different menus for inside at the bar, and outside at a table. On the positive side, it is not considered rude at all if you were to occupy that table all day with just a coffee or light snack. That is what you are paying for.

But back to the OP, I really do not think that is the case here. I think they just went to a tourist spot that had tourist prices. I am also wondering if the OP thought the chips and salsa were complimentary? I know many times in the US our restaurants serve them at no charge. That's not been my experience in Mexico at all, anywhere.

Edited by WeLoveCruising

We have many Italian friends who confirm it isn't this way just for the tourists, it's just part of the Italian business culture. Even in the smallest towns, there are different menus for inside at the bar, and outside at a table.

Likewise in France. At a café in Paris, there may be three price levels. A table on the sidewalk has the most expensive prices, an indoor table has lower prices, and the lowest prices are for customers who stand at the counter (the "zinc").

This is not a ripoff, nor is it a tourism thing. It's business as usual. It's not the way things are done where I live, but that's to be expected when one travels.

We were in Huatulco ten days ago while on a Panama Cruise. We had a wonderful tour, 5 Bays by Catamaran, followed by shopping in the small dockside tourist area. We were approached by a fellow encouraging us to visit the cafe in the plaza. Since we wanted to sit and use their wifi we ordered two margueritas and plate of guacamole, salsa and tortillas. We did not ask to see a menu which was admittedly foolish on our part. When we asked for our bill the waitress wrote it out on the spot and presented it to us. Imagine my surprise to see it was for $37 U.S. I expressed my surprise and was shocked to be told "that's what it costs here". Because we were so taken aback we just paid and left - should have asked to see the menu then. Just a "mea culpa", but hopefully a warning for others.

I have posted this note on the Ports of Call forum.

Huatulco is by far the highest price Mexican port there is, always has been that prices does not seem the least bit high to me. In my stops at Huatulco I have seen prices especially in the touristy jewelry 4 times the price of what you would pay in Mazatlan or PV. Cabos tends to be a bit higher but nothing like Huatulco.

If you looked at the menu would you have changed your mind and walked out? Last time I was there which was in 2009 lunch cost us about $80 or $90 (it was just under $100) with a couple of drinks but then we had the Lobster. I do not find a thing wrong with what was charged.

Likewise in France. At a café in Paris, there may be three price levels. A table on the sidewalk has the most expensive prices, an indoor table has lower prices, and the lowest prices are for customers who stand at the counter (the "zinc").

This is not a ripoff, nor is it a tourism thing. It's business as usual. It's not the way things are done where I live, but that's to be expected when one travels.

Agree! We once learned a lesson in Germany about not assuming things to be done as at home. After a long overnight flight, DH and I landed in Amsterdam and rented a car to drive to Frankfurt. We pulled over at a highway rest stop that had a cafeteria. There were coffee cups and self serve coffee in the line. While we were making our way through the line and waiting for food, DH helped himself to coffee, and drank two cups while standing there. We were charged at the end of the line for the ones he drank. No free coffee refills, and we were a bit embarrassed, hoping they didn't think he was trying to steal coffee.

Edited by WeLoveCruising

I have to laugh at those comparing it to London or indeed anywhere in Europe. This is Huatulco in Mexico we are talking about. Seedy beachfront (because there's nowhere else) cafes.:rolleyes: and aggressive vendors everywhere.

Hear Hear! I found Hautulco expensive for Mexico. There is no free wifi. You pay for it in the price of a drink. Even a HAL sponsored dress shop was pricey and very aggressive. If I passed that way again I would not get off the ship.

Yup. That's why I mentioned Italy specifically in my prior post. My DH and I have traveled extensively on land throughout Italy. The premise is that in those piazzas and scenic areas, you are paying for the privledge of having the table, not necessarily the food items. If you went inside the cafe and ordered the same food, you would have had it at a fraction of the price. But then again you wouldn't have gotten to sit in St Mark's Square, which hopefully you enjoyed.

We have many Italian friends who confirm it isn't this way just for the tourists, it's just part of the Italian business culture. Even in the smallest towns, there are different menus for inside at the bar, and outside at a table. On the positive side, it is not considered rude at all if you were to occupy that table all day with just a coffee or light snack. That is what you are paying for.

But back to the OP, I really do not think that is the case here. I think they just went to a tourist spot that had tourist prices. I am also wondering if the OP thought the chips and salsa were complimentary? I know many times in the US our restaurants serve them at no charge. That's not been my experience in Mexico at all, anywhere.

That is the same we experienced throughout lots of great trips to Italy. We loved every minute we spent everywhere we went throughout the country. A glass of wine, seated in San Marco, listening to the music and people watching........ Priceless !!

2 drinks @ $ 10.00 each

1 nibbles for 2... $16.00

Tip included.

Wi Fi free included.

$36? Not that bad. Might be a bit pricey.... but not a rip off.

Hmmm. That seems reasonable especially in a tourist area. Say the drinks were $12 each and then $10 for the food. With tax that would be about $37.

Agree with both of these posts. It's obviously overpriced, but not nearly in "alert the local authorities about these criminals" territory! :)