Problems at Princess Cays???

Island Dog

I've heard that Royal Princess has skipped her last three calls at Princess Cays. Has anyone called on Princess Cays on other ships since Joaquin passed through the Bahamas? I'm wondering if the damage there is more severe than initiallly reported.

We missed the Sept 30th day because the hurricane was out there, seas were rough, it would have been a horrible beach day and too dangerous to tender. We got there and sat there and then the captain came on the intercom and told us the decision-a sea day it was! Thanks Captain Oliver for keeping us safe! Not sure I will be booking another cruise during hurricane season!!

Wind and resulting waves can be a problem at Princess Cays; during one of our January cruises on the Ruby the captain decided to stop tendering in the late morning and elected to put the crews efforts into retrieving crew and passengers that had already gone ashore. As I was only going to go ashore to snorkel I had decided some time before the announcement I was going to not going to bother going ashore.

Damage during hurricane joquin

Currently on Emerald Princess and we called at Princess Cays on Sunday. No damage at all. We spoke with one of the guys who works there and he confirmed that Joquin missed them. Betty

Okay....now what?

We missed the Sept 30th day because the hurricane was out there, seas were rough, it would have been a horrible beach day and too dangerous to tender. We got there and sat there and then the captain came on the intercom and told us the decision-a sea day it was! Thanks Captain Oliver for keeping us safe! Not sure I will be booking another cruise during hurricane season!!

Captain Oliver is one of the best. He always makes the right decision for the safety and pleasure of the passengers and crew.

We enjoying going to Princess Cays but must admit the time we stay there seems to get shorter and shorter. Love to get there early find a nice shady spot, take a exploring hike to one of the areas away from the main area and then back to the ship for lunch.

Weather issues ..... wind and/or rough seas .... are often the cause of missed ports. Particularly with a big moose of a ship like the Royal and the Regal.

Their height can make them act as an enormous "sail" when it's windy, making it difficult for them to maintain a holding position offshore in tender ports, and make docking unsafe in docked ports, depending on wind direction.

And if it's really windy, chances are that the water will be pretty choppy, which also can interfere with tendering.

Currently on Emerald Princess and we called at Princess Cays on Sunday. No damage at all. We spoke with one of the guys who works there and he confirmed that Joquin missed them. Betty

Betty, wasn't that your picture of you and hubby I saw on the "other" social site? ;)

On the Royal and at Princess Cay at this moment. Many pax have already tendered over and we will be going shortly.

Two days ago, on Tuesday, the ship had to cancel Princess Cay because of rough seas and high winds. RCI Enchantment could not tender to Coco Cay and a Carnival ship could not tender into Half Moon Cay this week because of weather.

All is back to normal today.

On the Royal and at Princess Cay at this moment. Many pax have already tendered over and we will be going shortly.

Two days ago, on Tuesday, the ship had to cancel Princess Cay because of rough seas and high winds. RCI Enchantment could not tender to Coco Cay and a Carnival ship could not tender into Half Moon Cay this week because of weather.

All is back to normal today.

That's great news.

Funny how things add up... we are "ONLY" 45 days away from our cruise and that almost seems "just around the corner" yet when hoping everything was/is okay at Princess Cay I'm thinking "well, there's over six weeks for them to get this repaired"

We were notified months ago that our Christmas cruise on Regal would not be going to Princess Cay, but Nassau instead.

We sail December 6th on Regal and have received no such notice.

To add to this... I just pulled up my reservation and with no difficulty was able to reserve an excursion at Princess Cay. I would think (maybe I'm wrong) that if they new we wouldn't be pulling into the port, they would have closed down reservations for the island.

Or is that me asking for to much? LOL

Edited by WISH84
Added comment

We were notified months ago that our Christmas cruise on Regal would not be going to Princess Cay, but Nassau instead.

If you were notified months ago, then that was an itinerary change for entirely different reason, ie too many ships at PC at the time or whatever. It would be completely unrelated to any potential hurricane damage, as the hurricane was end of Sept/early Oct....

We sail December 6th on Regal and have received no such notice.

To add to this... I just pulled up my reservation and with no difficulty was able to reserve an excursion at Princess Cay. I would think (maybe I'm wrong) that if they new we wouldn't be pulling into the port, they would have closed down reservations for the island.

I think the Regal's Christmas itinerary for this year always included Nassau instead of Princess Cays. The Royal will be there on its 10-day itinerary the day that the Regal would have been there (December 21) if the Regal's itinerary was the same as its other eastern Caribbean ones.

No, our original itinerary when we booked was for Princess Caye. I understand it was an itinerary change, but how many PRINCESS ships can there be headed to PC on one day? Do they only allow 1 ship in there at a time. It's no biggie to me. Been years since I've been to Nassau and last year I didn't even get off the ship at PC.

No, our original itinerary when we booked was for Princess Caye. I understand it was an itinerary change, but how many PRINCESS ships can there be headed to PC on one day? Do they only allow 1 ship in there at a time. It's no biggie to me. Been years since I've been to Nassau and last year I didn't even get off the ship at PC.

Interesting statement. However I have never seen more than one ship anchored off shore. In all my viewings of reviews and pictures. I do believe it's a "one ship only" port.