Bonine

I know this can't be purchased in Canada but it is available in the US. Can anyone tell me if this is an over the counter medication or is a prescription required?

thanks

Its over the counter. I buy it at Wal mart under the Equate brand as its cheapest there that Ive found. Its called Motion Sickness Relief "Less drowsy" - 25mg meclizine which is the same thing as Bonine. Bonine is just the name brand.

The ships will have it for free but most people like to start taking it 24 hours before boarding.

Edited by ryano

I know this can't be purchased in Canada but it is available in the US. Can anyone tell me if this is an over the counter medication or is a prescription required?

thanks

Yes, you can get it without a prescription.

Our experience has been that you can also get it on the ship complimentary at Guest Services. It's labeled meclizine which is another name for Bonine.

Why not just buy gravol?

Works better.

Especially for children - we have children's gravol. They don't have OTC drug remedies for kids in the states.

Well, I've developed tinnitus in my left ear and researching Gravol I've found it is related to Benadryl. I've been taking Unisom as a sleeping aid (which is another form of Benadryl) and I've discovered that there is some research that points to Benadryl making tinnitus worse so I thought, I better not take any more of the Unisom until figure out what's going on. This led me to ask about Bonine, As it turns out DW has some in her travel-drug pouch from last cruise so I think I'm all set for our next cruise.

Not to be pedantic, but meclizine, Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and unisom (typically doxylamine) are three different meds. They have somewhat similar mechanisms of action but it's a slippery slope to call them the same thing.

Edited by perditax

Not to be pedantic, but meclizine, Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and unisom (typically doxylamine) are three different meds. They have somewhat similar mechanisms of action but it's a slippery slope to call them the same thing.

I'm not a chemist and you're right to say I shouldn't say they're the same - they're not. From what I read Gravol it is dimenhydrinate and apparently metabolizes it into diphenhydramine (Benadryl). Again, I'm not a chemist so take it with a grain of salt. Just a tinnitus sufferer looking for clues.

Why not just buy gravol?

Works better.

Especially for children - we have children's gravol. They don't have OTC drug remedies for kids in the states.

Not true we have kids versions

Dramamine is the brand name in the US and they sell a kids version. It's 25 mg vs 50 mg original adult formula. It's the same as the less drowsy version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you can get it without a prescription.

Our experience has been that you can also get it on the ship complimentary at Guest Services. It's labeled meclizine which is another name for Bonine.

Pretty much. :) Meclizine is the drug name. Bonine is just a brand name.

Just as I take Zolpidem for sleep. Most people know that as Ambien.

Its over the counter. I buy it at Wal mart under the Equate brand as its cheapest there that Ive found. Its called Motion Sickness Relief "Less drowsy" - 25mg meclizine which is the same thing as Bonine. Bonine is just the name brand.

The ships will have it for free but most people like to start taking it 24 hours before boarding.

How much at Wally World? I just bought a bottle of 25mg/ea Meclizine, named Rugby (brand) Travel Sickness, 100 chewable tablets, for $4.19, at Costco. It's located behind the pharmacy counter, but it's non-prescription. Not that I'd ever need/use 100, but it does last two years.

Edited by alltheothernamesaretaken

Not true we have kids versions

Dramamine is the brand name in the US and they sell a kids version. It's 25 mg vs 50 mg original adult formula. It's the same as the less drowsy version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this new? I've looked in the past (Walmart, CVS) and spoken to US pharmacists and have always been told there is nothing OTC for children, and then they try and sell me the sea-bands (which don't work for my daughter).

I got "caught" one cruise when I forgot to bring "enough" meds. I gave my daughter the last gravol on the plane and then panicked! {done the same thing for short road trips to the States}.

Best product I have EVER found; easy to buy at the Walmart in Merritt Island (near Cocoa Beach); harder to find in other locations is a product calls Motion-Ease. It's an aromatherapy product that you put a few drops behind the ears. It works wonders. I give my daughter gravol on the first day; and then after that all she uses is Motion-Ease; unless the seas are really rough, then I will give her Gravol (but more a precaution than anything else).

Is this new? I've looked in the past (Walmart, CVS) and spoken to US pharmacists and have always been told there is nothing OTC for children, and then they try and sell me the sea-bands (which don't work for my daughter).

I got "caught" one cruise when I forgot to bring "enough" meds. I gave my daughter the last gravol on the plane and then panicked! {done the same thing for short road trips to the States}.

Best product I have EVER found; easy to buy at the Walmart in Merritt Island (near Cocoa Beach); harder to find in other locations is a product calls Motion-Ease. It's an aromatherapy product that you put a few drops behind the ears. It works wonders. I give my daughter gravol on the first day; and then after that all she uses is Motion-Ease; unless the seas are really rough, then I will give her Gravol (but more a precaution than anything else).

They actually sold that on the Grandeur in the liquor store, it was expensive. I am sure it is much cheaper on land.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We take Bonine, one a day, on every cruise we go on. No tiredness, no nothing, and pleased with the results. Buy in pretty much any US drug store / pharmacy / and often super market.

Of course, do what you are comfortable with....

Enjoy.

Be aware that there's a warning for those over 65 taking meclizine as it may cause amnesia.

Not exactly true. It may cause confusion or aggravate symptoms in those with dementia.

I use Less Drowsy Dramamine which is meclizine (exact same as Bonine). Never had any issues or side effects. I take it twice a day when we cruise out of the northeast, but once we get to the Caribbean, unless it's unusually choppy, I take it once a day.

Edited by BND

Not exactly true. It may cause confusion or aggravate symptoms in those with dementia.

I use Less Drowsy Dramamine which is meclizine (exact same as Bonine). Never had any issues or side effects. I take it twice a day when we cruise out of the northeast, but once we get to the Caribbean, unless it's unusually choppy, I take it once a day.

Not all Dramamine products have Meclizine, the original has Dimenhydrate and the less drowsy has Meclizine Hydrochloride which is the same as Bonine.

What age can kids use this Gravol product? Trying to figure out for my daughter who will be 2.5 years old and she's never been on a boat before but has done find on planes and in cars.

I would suggest a discussion with your family doctor at the very least. A follow up with your pharmacist might also be helpful. Even though Meclizine Hydrochloride is not available OTC in Canada both these professionals will be able to provide advice that takes into account your medical issues and any drug regime.

Personally I found Meclizine caused extreme drowsiness.

Gravol Ginger may be an option if it is not contraindicated for tinnitus.

We have gotten prescriptions from our family doctor for the SCOP patch on all our cruises.

DD (20) does not like the way it makes her feel, so she goes with out it.

We bought at Wall mart the bonine generic and never used it.

Oh, Dollar general had it too.

Sea Ya

Not all Dramamine products have Meclizine, the original has Dimenhydrate and the less drowsy has Meclizine Hydrochloride which is the same as Bonine.

I know that. That's why I said Less Drowsy Dramamine is the same as Bonine:confused: