How much did you spend on lunch in Rome and Florence?

ken_nyc

Is this one of those "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" questions?

It all depends on your eating interests and habits. You could probably go as low as 10 euros per person, or far more. We don't over analyze, we just eat where it suits us. I doubt we spend much more than 15 or 20 euros per person for lunch most days. Probably tops 25 euros.

I agree….. just depends on where, how, what etc…..

we have had a wonderful pizza lunch with drink and desert for 5 euros per person at a lil hole in the wall place down the street from the Vatican……

we have ducked into neat little meat markets and had them fix us a yummy fresh sandwich on fresh baked sub bread with a drink for 10 euros…….

we have had wonderful caprese salad, bread and proseco for lunch for @ 18-20 euros and we have once had a full blown meal that was @ 25 euros…. or more.

We usually prefer to have a lighter fare so as not to "slow us down" ;)

So its up to you and how you decide to do it.

Very difficult to say without some information about what kind of meal you're looking for....

I've had very good "fixed price" 3-course lunches in restaurants in Rome for about 10-12 euro -- this usually includes a salad, choice of an entree, and dessert. Drink is extra.

You will find prices more expensive than this in the heavily touristed areas -- expect to pay more like 25 euro per person if you want to have lunch in Piazza Navona, for example. Do watch out for scams in these touristy areas. I constantly hear stories of folks being charged outrageous prices for things.

Some tips:

Never order an item "off menu" without asking the price first.

If a waiter verbally offers you a daily special, make sure you understand the price. Meat and fish dishes are typically sold by weight and the cost you are given may be multiplied several times depending on the size of your serving!

"Pane e coperto" (literally a charge for bread and cover) is not allowed in Rome any longer, but it is allowed in Florence, I believe. It is normally a couple of euro per person but can be more in touristy places.

Restaurants must, by law, provide you with an official receipt. Do not settle for a handwritten receipt, especially if there is any doubt about the charges.

Understand that you may pay more for dining outside at a premium spot than for dining inside. If you "take away" (e.g., panini, pizza) from a bar, the cost is less than if you sit and eat it there.

Some of the same rules hold true for gelato. Don't order a "special" (if offered) without asking the cost. There used to be a place in Rome that charged unsuspecting tourists 25 euro for a "special" gelato sundae with whipped cream, chocolate, etc. :eek:

Edited by cruisemom42

I answered earlier but wanted to give a recommendation for Rome.

We have been to Rome several times and what we have learned is to go to small restaurants that are usually found on small streets where you have the restaurants and other establishments on the ground floor and often residences above as well as other residences around the area.

I find the food to be terrific and the prices to be quite good and that often you'll find this is where the locals dine.

Keith

Normally, I'm not a big eater at lunch - I like to spend my money on a good dinner in Rome and Florence. But, on a cruise, no such chance ;)

Usually, I'll grab a panini that you'll find in the windows of various bars. But my last trip to those two cities in late April/early May this year, I did do more specific lunch places because this was a food-centric trip for me. I did, on the rec of someone here on the board, to do lunch at a restaurant on Piazza Navona. While I enjoyed watching the tourist traffic and the occasional priest or nun on their way, the lunch of a pizza Margherita and some wine to be rather bland and about 20 EU (just for me). But, I took that to be part of the price of admission to my people-watching on a lazy day.

My other lunch place is Pizzarium, down the hill from the Vatican Museums at the Cipro Metro station. The owner is known world-wide for his pizzas and breads. Very eclectic selections!! I always spend more to get a lot of different pieces. I spend about 20EU there. I can't help it. I see so many different pizzas that I have to try too many!

If in the Campo di Fiore area, hit up Forno Roscioli. Roscioli provides most of the bread to the high-end restaurants in Rome. Their Forno sells pizza al taglio and some other things for lunch. Amazing pastries to take with you, too! Price was under 15EU for me there, too.

In Florence, I did hit up some places for lunch. Inside the Mercato Centrale, I had a wonderful sandwich, a side of soup and a glass of wine at the Nerbone stand. Definitely under 15EU. Then, I did 2 lunches at a little place called La Prosciuterria. It's a deli that does sandwiches and charcuterie boards. It is NOT a restaurant. Very few places to sit - maybe for 10 people max. You stand the counter and place your order. They have wine also. It is pretty darn cheap and excellent. The counter girl one day made me a wonderful vegetarian sandwich - she would point out different veggies and cheeses she had and we put one together. I had only planned on doing that place once, but went back on a whim a second day.

Edited by slidergirl

I answered earlier but wanted to give a recommendation for Rome.

We have been to Rome several times and what we have learned is to go to small restaurants that are usually found on small streets where you have the restaurants and other establishments on the ground floor and often residences above as well as other residences around the area.

I find the food to be terrific and the prices to be quite good and that often you'll find this is where the locals dine.

Keith

Normally, I'm not a big eater at lunch - I like to spend my money on a good dinner in Rome and Florence. But, on a cruise, no such chance

Usually, I'll grab a panini that you'll find in the windows of various bars. But my last trip to those two cities in late April/early May this year, I did do more specific lunch places because this was a food-centric trip for me. I did, on the rec of someone here on the board, to do lunch at a restaurant on Piazza Navona. While I enjoyed watching the tourist traffic and the occasional priest or nun on their way, the lunch of a pizza Margherita and some wine to be rather bland and about 20 EU (just for me). But, I took that to be part of the price of admission to my people-watching on a lazy day.

My other lunch place is Pizzarium, down the hill from the Vatican Museums at the Cipro Metro station. The owner is known world-wide for his pizzas and breads. Very eclectic selections!! I always spend more to get a lot of different pieces. I spend about 20EU there. I can't help it. I see so many different pizzas that I have to try too many!

If in the Campo di Fiore area, hit up Forno Roscioli. Roscioli provides most of the bread to the high-end restaurants in Rome. Their Forno sells pizza al taglio and some other things for lunch. Amazing pastries to take with you, too! Price was under 15EU for me there, too.

In Florence, I did hit up some places for lunch. Inside the Mercato Centrale, I had a wonderful sandwich, a side of soup and a glass of wine at the Nerbone stand. Definitely under 15EU. Then, I did 2 lunches at a little place called La Prosciuterria. It's a deli that does sandwiches and charcuterie boards. It is NOT a restaurant. Very few places to sit - maybe for 10 people max. You stand the counter and place your order. They have wine also. It is pretty darn cheap and excellent. The counter girl one day made me a wonderful vegetarian sandwich - she would point out different veggies and cheeses she had and we put one together. I had only planned on doing that place once, but went back on a whim a second day.

Thank you both!!

You will see food trucks parked around Rome (I haven't been to Florence, so don't know if they are there also). We usually had a sandwich or pizza & drink for 10-12 EUR. At the time we were there, the dollar was doing poorly in the exchange, so almost $20-24 pp.

We did a tour to Tuscany and stopped in San G where we had a lovely slice of pizza at a sit down restaurant for 11 EUR pp and the slice was huge.

Meals at sit down restaurants were just too expensive for our budget. Dinner was our big problem in Rome, as our hotel was not in a convenient location close to restaurants. We learned after the first night, to eat something before returning to the hotel at the end of the day.

We budgeted $100 pp per day for meals and snacks. Sometimes we spent less, but at least it was covered in our budget.

Have a great trip!

Go to a supermarket or salumeria (sp) , buy bread, cheese, salami - Make your own sandwiches and save a fortune.

Better yet. Stay home and order Domino's Pizza.

Just kidding. :)

In Italy you really don't have to spend a fortune to enjoy some terrific Italian Cuisine rather than having a sandwich. :cool:

Keith

Better yet. Stay home and order Domino's Pizza.

Just kidding. :)

In Italy you really don't have to spend a fortune to enjoy some terrific Italian Cuisine rather than having a sandwich. :cool:

Keith

Then skip the bread! Make a platter!

I was just offering an alternative. So many choices for sure

Go to a supermarket or salumeria (sp) , buy bread, cheese, salami - Make your own sandwiches and save a fortune.

I actually LOVE to do this. When I traveled with some friends a few years ago, we did just this most days. It is part of the fun of traveling to a foreign country for me - to see what they have in their food stores. I've done entire meals from things at La Boqueria in Barcelona, Mercato Centrale in Florence, the little salumeria and bakery stores that were across the walkway from our apartment in Vernazza, even the big Coop supermarket on the outskirts of Pisa (the closest anything to our agriturismo). Fresh bread, trying different meats and cheeses, fresh tomatoes, some olives or other nibbles, a bottle of wine (always carry my own corkscrew!!)… It's as local a thing you can do. Many times better than getting pedestrian pizza or pasta at the tourist restaurant in a heavily-touristed piazza ;)

Edited by slidergirl

I actually LOVE to do this. When I traveled with some friends a few years ago, we did just this most days. It is part of the fun of traveling to a foreign country for me - to see what they have in their food stores. I've done entire meals from things at La Boqueria in Barcelona, Mercato Centrale in Florence, the little salumeria and bakery stores that were across the walkway from our apartment in Vernazza, even the big Coop supermarket on the outskirts of Pisa (the closest anything to our agriturismo). Fresh bread, trying different meats and cheeses, fresh tomatoes, some olives or other nibbles, a bottle of wine (always carry my own corkscrew!!)… It's as local a thing you can do. Many times better than getting pedestrian pizza or pasta at the tourist restaurant in a heavily-touristed piazza ;)

During my current 8 week Italy trip when I have been in hotels I have been going to local grocery stores, co-ops, street stalls etc. in Campania the two of us were eating for $10-$15 a day - three meals! A winery in Foligno (Umbria) had 5 LITER boxes of decent wine for 8 Euros! In Viterbo a local grocery store has dozens of different wines for under a Euro a bottle. Even in Lazio there are cheap places. Also you would be surprised what you can find in the tourist areas of Rome and Milan.

We found the best Chinese restaurant while wandering around Rome. It was a nice change from the usual Italian food.

Thank you, but unless I was staying in Rome for a long period of time I would rather eat the local cuisine. I never get tired of eating Italian food.

Thank you, but unless I was staying in Rome for a long period of time I would rather eat the local cuisine. I never get tired of eating Italian food.

Me too. You will find lots of places. Again try to avoid the tourist areas in Rome by walking on the small side streets.

Very similar to NYC in that sense. Often we find great restaurants in the neighborhoods and off the beaten path.

Keith

After factoring in exchange rate and larger level of cost of living delta between countries I never find I can't eat in a foreign land for similar to what I'd plan in the US

With the strength of the dollar these days I think you can eat for Lincoln, Hamilton, Jackson, or a Franklin or more if you desire :D

Since we have stayed in apartments the last 3 trips to Rome, we too head to the nearest grocery store for breakfast fare, coffee, snacks etc….. we usually eat lunch and dinner out but I like to have my coffee and danish (or more) in my jammies :D It is quite an adventure to shop and I love it !!!!! We always pick up 4 or 5 small amounts of sliced meats, some cheeses and wonderful bread.

Also - just as an fyi - the best pumpkin soup I have ever eaten was at a restaurant right smack dab in the middle of Piazza Navonna. They also served a wonderful Roman stew that I almost licked the bowl !!!!! One of the WORST meals we ever had in Rome (or anywhere else for that matter) was on a small side street establishment near the Spanish steps. One of those little family owned truly Italian places…….. it was inedible. :eek:

After factoring in exchange rate and larger level of cost of living delta between countries I never find I can't eat in a foreign land for similar to what I'd plan in the US

With the strength of the dollar these days I think you can eat for Lincoln, Hamilton, Jackson, or a Franklin or more if you desire :D

Thank you!

Since we have stayed in apartments the last 3 trips to Rome, we too head to the nearest grocery store for breakfast fare, coffee, snacks etc….. we usually eat lunch and dinner out but I like to have my coffee and danish (or more) in my jammies :D It is quite an adventure to shop and I love it !!!!! We always pick up 4 or 5 small amounts of sliced meats, some cheeses and wonderful bread.

Also - just as an fyi - the best pumpkin soup I have ever eaten was at a restaurant right smack dab in the middle of Piazza Navonna. They also served a wonderful Roman stew that I almost licked the bowl !!!!! One of the WORST meals we ever had in Rome (or anywhere else for that matter) was on a small side street establishment near the Spanish steps. One of those little family owned truly Italian places…….. it was inedible. :eek:

Thank you!