Free excursions with Oceania

Balcony Lounger

If you do a search on this subject you should find a number of threads that deal with it.

This is a new program to Oceania. Basically they are lower-level ship's tours although we have booked one for next year in Funchal that costs around $180pp. But the super-duper expensive tours, those that are "small group" tours, etc., are not included. Still, you should have a good choice if you are interested in a ship's tour.

Many posters here prefer private tours, but when something is free it can be hard to pass up! Normally I would NOT take many ship's tours but this particular itinerary is pretty much a re-run for us and no major cities, so we figured we'd take the 5 we are eligible for.

While I prefer private tours (DH feels differently), it's mainly because I don't like tours with 30-40 passengers. We've had as good luck with ship's tours in general as we have with private tours, but 8-10 people is better (in my view) than bus loads.

I was already able to book our oLife tours for a cruise that doesn't take place until next October. But I haven't seen any information on our April 2017 cruise -- perhaps because it's a new itinerary. (Not that all of the ports are new because they are not.)

But these are not iPod tours.

We did not schedule anything in Bermuda because nothing excited me, but our TA did advise booking early ... not waiting until we are on board.

Well, as my TA said: book early! We were able to book three of our five available tours for Oct '16 two months ago. In Alicante I wanted to use a private guide that we have used before, and in Bermuda I just didn't see anything I wanted to do among the available tours.

So, look at your cruise to find the tours as soon as you can. And then choose.

My experience with O's ship's tours (pre oLife) was that if there is a great demand they will add an extra bus (when and if they can).

We clearly were able to book the oLife tours prior to final payment, so that isn't a problem.

And who knows how others define "better" ... I wanted the Tea at Reid's Hotel in Funchal because my parents stayed there in the '70s and loved it. Having tea there is as close as I could get. That one costs $159 without oLife.

But in another port we have a tour that costs $199. So it CAN depend.

my 2 cents

The "FREE" excursions do not start until April cruises

If you want to take the free excursion I would book it as soon as they show up for your cruise

being "FREE" everyone will want to do it ;)

Looking at the offerings they are not walking tours some are bus tours with a few stops etc... read the description to make sure this is what you are looking for

Choose the tours without any OC, OE or other such designation next to it

Others will comment

Actually, all "regular" excursions are included in the O Life promo. The only ones that are not included are the ones marked as OC or OE.

Since they are "free" (actually included) you should book them as soon as you can as you don't have to pay extra for them.

Thanks, I figured out how to get in and book them ... I booked 25 and left the last few until all the exclusions we listed. They were still missing a few ports. I can wait ... Should be fun!

If you're talking about the O Life free excursions, there is a limit on how many are included (based on the number of days in your cruise). I know 18 day cruises get 5 per person. Are you saying you have an unlimited number of free excursions or are you taking a really long cruise (long enough to get you 25)?

Well, as my TA said:

And who knows how others define "better" ... I wanted the Tea at Reid's Hotel in Funchal because my parents stayed there in the '70s and loved it. Having tea there is as close as I could get. That one costs $159 without oLife.

Mura -

This may be more "morning coffee" than "Afternoon tea" - on our TA cruise in April the tour for Afternoon tea left the ship for Reid's at 0900 !! I am sure the offerings will be class afternoon tea (finger sandwiches, scones, cakes etc) but it is at the wrong time of day! We sailed at 1700 and had to be on board by 1600 which is just the time one should start having tea!!!

Thanks, I figured out how to get in and book them ... I booked 25 and left the last few until all the exclusions we listed. They were still missing a few ports. I can wait ... Should be fun!

We also figured out how to book the tours, but can not figure out how to change them once they are booked. There is one tour that we want to cancel and put another in its place but can't seem to do it. Hope someone knows the answer or we will have to call O directly. There usually are some pretty smart people on this board so I hope someone knows the answer. Thanks, RJB

We also figured out how to book the tours, but can not figure out how to change them once they are booked. There is one tour that we want to cancel and put another in its place but can't seem to do it. Hope someone knows the answer or we will have to call O directly. There usually are some pretty smart people on this board so I hope someone knows the answer. Thanks, RJB

You have to call Oceania to make changes to the free shore excursions.

Terri

You have to call Oceania to make changes to the free shore excursions.

Terri

Interesting blog. Hope things are getting better for you. Keep on posting as we are enjoying reading them Richie :):):)

I booked a tour last night for the first day we were in Isreal then decided I wanted to take it the second day we were there. On the same Oceania site where I booked it when you checked out and "paid" for them, even though the balance owed was "0" I got a screen listing my tours with the option to remove. I was able to cancel and rebook it for the next day.

Mura -

This may be more "morning coffee" than "Afternoon tea" - on our TA cruise in April the tour for Afternoon tea left the ship for Reid's at 0900 !! I am sure the offerings will be class afternoon tea (finger sandwiches, scones, cakes etc) but it is at the wrong time of day! We sailed at 1700 and had to be on board by 1600 which is just the time one should start having tea!!!

An excellent point!! They call it tea but in the morning it can't be "tea". That's okay ... I mainly wanted to see the place. BUT if I were paying the list price I'd be unhappy with morning coffee, that's for sure!!

We've been to Funchal before so I was looking for something out of town and this fit the bill.

But thanks for the head's up. It should have occurred to me!

Mura

Interesting blog. Hope things are getting better for you. Keep on posting as we are enjoying reading them Richie :):):)

Thank you.

I hope to resurrect the blog in January. We are going on a SeaDream Yacht Club cruise and it will be a new experience for us. We have had some serious health problems and had to put cruising on hold for a while.

We're looking forward to January and also our first O cries in the Baltic in August.

When I resurrect my blog I will post it.

Terri

Hi Terri,

I'm so sorry to hear of your health woes.

I'll bet your Marina roll call gets busier in the coming months and you will have people begging to join your tours. I think it is difficult for many (including me) to seriously plan two, three or more trips ahead.

Thanks for the tip on how to cancel an included tour, one of our O trips next year has five included tours. I've booked all five with the thought I can change things up later.

Feel better and Enjoy Sea Dream!

Hi Terri,

I'm so sorry to hear of your health woes.

I'll bet your Marina roll call gets busier in the coming months and you will have people begging to join your tours. I think it is difficult for many (including me) to seriously plan two, three or more trips ahead.

Thanks for the tip on how to cancel an included tour, one of our O trips next year has five included tours. I've booked all five with the thought I can change things up later.

Feel better and Enjoy Sea Dream!

Thank you Pat. We'll see how it goes.

I'm really looking forward to SeaDream.

Terri