That Dreaded Tipping Thread

ShawninFL

If we could only find out how the "automatic" gratuities are parceled out. When you add up how much is collected each cruise you are talking a lot of money. Something in the back of my head doesn't trust the cruise lines. That being said, I tip the bartenders... even the omelete maker in the morning.:):)

Tipping is personal. Everyone has their own ideas about what is appropriate or not, so you will be reading all kinds of responses. I would just suggest that you and your other half try and reach a happy medium! ;)

Heck, I've even tipped the washroom attendants and the guys/gals cleaning all the mirrors, railings, etc. in the stairwells and hallways. Have struck up conversations with them (since I see them almost every day) and just happen to appreciate what they do. They are nice (underappreciated) people and are part of what makes the ship experience a good one.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has tipped people cleaning the public areas. Some are so cheerful and friendly, and I assume their salary is low and they are working their way up to a "tipped" position.

We collect small U.S. bills before we leave home (not that easy from Canada) and tip for drinks as often as we remember to do it, because I'm not really clear on how the gratuities for the drink packages work out for each crew member, and I am grateful for quick and pleasant service. The reason I love our cruises so much is that the Celebrity staff treat us so well; it's like being a VIP for a week.

I know some people argue that the ship crew are very well paid compared to people in their home countries, but a few dollars here and there doesn't mean much to me, and it might mean a crew person, who is possibly supporting a large family, gets to send home a little extra to people who don't have much.

I guess I over-tip at home as well, but once again, I'm always grateful when someone brings me food and drink with a smile.

If we could only find out how the "automatic" gratuities are parceled out. When you add up how much is collected each cruise you are talking a lot of money. Something in the back of my head doesn't trust the cruise lines. That being said, I tip the bartenders... even the omelete maker in the morning.:):)

Being a Publicly traded business if they really kept any it would have to be disclosed as a line item for the whole world to see. When we don't trust a business, we DONT DO BUSINESS .

I always slip some green to the pizza-makers and the omelette-makers.

, I tip the bartenders... even the omelete maker in the morning.:):)

Unfair! How about the waffle makers? :rolleyes:

Tipping.......

To the original poster, my question is for you:).......what is about

tipping that makes you want to know what other people do or don't do

about tipping? Just curious. You asked.....I am in the category of

not tipping anything extra for every drink.....but at the end of the

cruise I will tip my bartender and/or server if I have one that has

served me all week. I usually stay in 1 or 2 venues all cruise for my

libations;)

I am the OP. The only reason I asked is that my partner and I widely differ on how much we think should be budgeted for tips over and above the prepaid gratuities for bar service (Bartenders and cocktail waiters). He saw that I was on Cruise Critic the other day and said, "Why don't you ask on there what other people tip over the automatic gratuity to get an idea of what would be a happy medium for us." I know tipping and the amount tipped is a personal decision and I'm not making any judgments on what others do. This was asked as more of relationship therapy...lol.

And thank you to everyone who has responded and for keeping a tipping thread friendly and civil.

I always add an extra $1 or $2 per drink. On the first day of my cruise I find my favorite bartender and throw him $50 and he will make sure you never have to wait in line for a drink. I give my room steward $50 on the first day as a bonus and I give the servers at the specialty restaurants an extra $10 per person.

These people work hard and 7 days per week sometimes for 6 months or longer with long hours. They work much harder than I do so I make sure I let them know I appreciate them being there for me.

Please let's not do the whole skipping the line thing yet again ? The op just wants to know what the acceptable level of tipping is for many.

If only tipping was so friendly and civilised.

Paying the staff a reasonable wage could be a great start towards being civilised, then we could get on with being friendly.

if only there could be a CC like button [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

Tipping is just tax dodging IMHO.

For us it's easy. We always over tip everyone because we feel they work so hard to make our vacations GREAT! We have visited their home countries and know how far our $$ go. We were lucky to be born into the cribs we were and sharing with such a hardworking friendly group of people is a no brainer for us.

Safe Sails to all!

I don't tip extra per drink. At the end of my last cruise, which was when drink gratuities were still 15%, I gave a few excellent bartenders an extra $5 the last night for always remembering me and having my drink ready, and not needing my card after the first night. If I had the drink package included again I'd consider doing the same, but if I'm paying 18% out of pocket, that'll be enough.

[quote name='dodger1964']They can answer for themselves. But I like the idea of getting a feel for what others are doing. Obviously it is totally a personal decision, and there is no right or wrong response.[/QUOTE]

Ha ha ha

Read some threads here and it's clear that many think there is a wrong answer.

The abuse that some throw around over tipping is amazing.

We tip extra for good service because we can afford it and we have seen some of the lifestyles in other countries. Tipping is personal based on your values and disposable income. There is on tight or wrong in tipping or not tipping. If you can afford it and you get great service give an extra tip over the mandatory gratuities. We tip extra the cabin Stewart's and assistant, the waiter ( for mulltriblr

[quote name='GUT2407']Ha ha ha

Read some threads here and it's clear that many think there is a wrong answer.

The abuse that some throw around over tipping is amazing.[/QUOTE]

Indeed , one poster suggested on another thread, that non-tippers should be shot !

Nobody tips me at work , I dont tip anyone for simply doing their job. Seems fair to me.

If people wish to tip that is their prerogative. If people dont wish to tip that is their prerogative as well.

If people want to tip for good service received that's fine, with 18% already added I probably won't, less sure about tipping at the start of a cruise to ensure good service (i.e. immediate service at the bar) because that means others have to receive poorer service because someone is paying for preferential treatment.

For those that tip the bartender $50 at the start of the cruise that will work fine until you find out that 100 people have already tipped him $60

[quote name='morbihan']We don't tip after each drink.

After a day or two we find a bar that suits us and we go mostly there. Usually have the same waitress so at the end of the voyage we give her a note. Same with our stewards and our waiters.[/QUOTE]

What does the note say? [emoji15][emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk