Posting pictures and documents

chefestelle

Is there a thread that walks newbies through the process of posting pictures and scanned documents? I'm hoping to document my very short holiday cruise on a live thread in December. I'd like to post the things people seem interested in like the on location sheets, captain reports, menus and etc. I'm just not sure what would be the best way to do that!

I'm no expert by any means, so there may be other, better ways of including photos and scanned docs, but this is what I do:

First, upload the photos to an online site. There are many of them, so if you don't use one currently, try Googling. Once a photo has been uploaded to the online site, you can obtain the photo's URL and insert it in your post by using the little icon that looks like a photo or a postcard. Click on that and a box will open up asking you to insert the URL for your image.

I'm sure there's a better explanation somewhere on CC, but I can't locate it.

Good luck!

I like to use tinypic.com because unlike most photo-sharing sites (photobucket, smugmug, etc) you don't need to sign up for an account and then forever be bugged regularly to buy stuff from them.

Just go to www.tinypic.com, browse to the location of your pic, choose a Re-size, upload it, and copy the line that says "IMG code for Forums & Message Boards" directly into your post. You will need to click on an ad to get a "security code", to prove you're a human, not a computer doing an auto-load.

If you're using a smartphone you'll need to download a tinypic app from the site.

This is 320x480 size

5x0uqc.jpg

and this is 640x480

2q9e53d.jpg

You can also use 800x600.

BTW the pic is the Maasdam coming into Port Everglades early one morning, captured from portevergladeswebcam.com :)

Edited by jtl513

I have read posts stating that if you use Tapatalk, you can upload a photo from your cell phone directly into a Cruise Critic thread and therefore not have to upload to a third-party site that can take a long time. I'm in the process of testing this, but am getting nowhere fast. Unfortunately, it seems there is little help available. I'll post more today when I figure it out.

If a picture of the Maasdam is showing, Tapatalk works.

Well, it looks like I need to do more work on it. :(

I definitely want to figure this out, because uploading to my photo site, SmugMug, uses up a LOT of Internet time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

I have read posts stating that if you use Tapatalk, you can upload a photo from your cell phone directly into a Cruise Critic thread and therefore not have to upload to a third-party site that can take a long time. I'm in the process of testing this, but am getting nowhere fast. Unfortunately, it seems there is little help available. I'll post more today when I figure it out.

Direct posting into CruiseCritic, not via Tapatalk will give you tiny little images. Your best bet is to use a sharing service and restrict your width to 800 pixels.

I usually use 2 sizes, an 800 pixel wide version which I insert into the post. I then hyperlink it to a larger scale version which opens when clicked on. I use my own server, but you can do the same thing with a photo sharing site. You insert the photo. Then you click on the photo and hyperlink it (chain button) to the bigger version. You can see it in action in the New Tamarind Menu thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2273015

Edited by POA1

There we go! Bar Harbor?
Yes, Bar Harbor, this August.

I have found Tapatalk a little difficult to use in the past (I probably downloaded the app 3-4 times and quit each time). However, when I read how easy it is to upload pictures from a phone (and in August, all mine were taken with my Samsung phone), I decided to try Tapatalk once again. By devoting a few minutes to it, I found that it really is quite easy, and I think it will be wonderful to be able to quickly post pictures while on cruise using up much less precious Internet time.

Thanks, everyone! I had installed tapatalk previously when someone (POA1?) suggested it so I will try that and all the other suggestions before I go. Maybe I won't get into too much trouble with the moderators if I create a test thread but we will see. Thanks for all this help!

Thanks, everyone! I had installed tapatalk previously when someone (POA1?) suggested it so I will try that and all the other suggestions before I go. Maybe I won't get into too much trouble with the moderators if I create a test thread but we will see. Thanks for all this help!

Or you could test here so we can all benefit from your learning experience! :)

I take my Ipad on cruises and wanted to post pics on my last live thread.

A member posted on my live thread to try tap a talk. It worked beautifully and was not hard to figure out. I believe it works with mobile devices as well.

To post on my laptop means uploading to shutterfly or photobucket or other type sharing devices. to upload on tapatalk is a click of a button and I can do that easily.

I take a device that lets me download pics to my Ipad from my camera and now can download pics whether they are taken from my Ipad or my camera.

Last time it was my Ipad due to a sad circumstance about the camera, but the next live thread will be both, hopefully :)

Ok, I think there's something I'm missing. My photos don't give me an option to upload to tapatalk even though I have that option turned on in the tapatalk app. When I go in the app, it has nothing that lets me upload pics. All I seem to be able to do is create a forum or add a forum (and I added cruise critic). So what am I missing?!

Love the puffins, btw

Edited by chefestelle

I have to say, JT1513, that was super easy.
Great! :) My only complaint is that you can't build a library of images there, and have to upload a "fresh" image each time. So, I also have a photobucket account with pictures that I use repeatedly.

Ok, I think there's something I'm missing. My photos don't give me an option to upload to tapatalk even though I have that option turned on in the tapatalk app. When I go in the app, it has nothing that lets me upload pics. All I seem to be able to do is create a forum or add a forum (and I added cruise critic). So what am I missing?!

Love the puffins, btw

If you have tapatalk uploaded, pretend you are going to reply or quote (either works, and you should see little logos at the bottom. One is for camera, one for pics, etc. click it and it should ask you what photo you want to upload.

You can do up to 5 I think in a thread.

then just cancel the post - this is a test - LOL.

You do have to be in post mode to see these options. hope this helps.

Love the puffins, btw

When I went to this thread and opened a reply, there was an image of a camera on the bottom of the screen. I touched that and it went to my pictures. I selected the puffin picture and it a uploaded. Next time I'll resize first so it is a smaller image.