Posting pictures and documents

chefestelle

So that explains that!:D I guess then, using Tapatalk, you are posting the actual photo and not a URL, so it stays on the thread even if you delete the photo from your device.
No, photos uploaded via tapatalk are also just url links. This is the one for the photo in post #8:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/25/60c893acc4b3bd2cb7ccf6e88001d774.jpg

and post #20:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/25/5b1f7675db34eb7bc590f43af4196a1b.jpg

and tinypic in post #46

http://i61.tinypic.com/10d8kld.jpg

The difference, I think, is that you can't delete the images from tapatalk or non-member tinypic uploads in the way you can from a site where you have an account that you manage yourself, such as photobucket. Whether you delete it from "your device" is irrelevant. It only matters whether it is deleted from the web-accessible location where CC looks for it.

Edited by jtl513

Regardless of where that photo is posted, it looks delicious! :D

It's on my ipad photos, from a friend. A Thanksgiving appetizer tray. Neat idea!

All our cruise photos are on my husband's ipad since I didn't have mine then.

Thanks so much, POA1, for sharing your knowledge of TinyPic.com

That site makes it so easy that even as computer illiterate as I am, I can now post photos in forums.

As I usually don't use Tapatalk to post photos, I hadn't thought about that when composing my first answer, but looking at some of the photos that have been uploaded with Tapatalk, that seems to be the case. Why CC allows you to upload in one case and only provide the link in the other I don't know.

No, photos uploaded via tapatalk are also just url links. This is the one for the photo in post #8:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/25/60c893acc4b3bd2cb7ccf6e88001d774.jpg

and post #20:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/25/5b1f7675db34eb7bc590f43af4196a1b.jpg

and tinypic in post #46

http://i61.tinypic.com/10d8kld.jpg

The difference, I think, is that you can't delete the images from tapatalk or non-member tinypic uploads in the way you can from a site where you have an account that you manage yourself, such as photobucket. Whether you delete it from "your device" is irrelevant. It only matters whether it is deleted from the web-accessible location where CC looks for it.

Jtl513 is quite right, I misspoke when I said that the Tapatalk image was uploaded to CC. It is, of course, uploaded to the Tapatalk website and the URL is provided to CC.

I think the reason I like Tapatalk so much is that if I'm using my cell phone to "reply" in a thread, I can add a picture from my phone or take a new picture right then, and it gets inserted into the reply. I don't have to leave the reply and go to any other site to add the picture. There's no choosing a size, copying or pasting it between image tags. It just is sooooo easy.

I find that I'm even using Tapatalk to read threads instead of going to Cruise Critic. When I open posts, they fit themselves right into the size of my phone, either portrait or landscape.

I think the reason I like Tapatalk so much is that if I'm using my cell phone to "reply" in a thread, I can add a picture from my phone or take a new picture right then, and it gets inserted into the reply. I don't have to leave the reply and go to any other site to add the picture. There's no choosing a size, copying or pasting it between image tags. It just is sooooo easy.

I find that I'm even using Tapatalk to read threads instead of going to Cruise Critic. When I open posts, they fit themselves right into the size of my phone, either portrait or landscape.

I'm the same way. I'm a techie and always use tapatalk for everything. It's easier to read threads and find what o want with it too, their search is better in addition to having a participated thread option. It keeps all of my favorite forums in one spot and resizes everything to phone size. The only thing I miss is not being able to see signatures, but I can always tell it to show me a post in Web view if I think there may be something I want to see in a person's signature.

Please note that the sizing is most important. Some of the test posts were far larger than our boards can handle resulting in serious distortion of the column width.

Those posts have been deleted for than reason.

Please try to stay with the 800x600 size mentioned above.

Edited by Host Walt

Please note that the sizing is most important. Some of the test posts were far larger than our boards can handle resulting in serious distortion of the column width.

Those posts have been deleted for than reason.

Please try to stay with the 800x600 size mentioned above.

Walt - Please take a look at AdminCP > Settings > Options > Message Attachment Options > Attachment Resize Options

I think that you can manage the attachment size from there.

I usually use an iPad when I use Tapatalk (my phone is just too small for my eyes and fingers) and the pictures are too large (much larger than the size Host Walt posted) here on Cruise Critic. The only way I can get them to post correctly is to resize (iResize) first. Is there anyway I can change the size on Tapatalk to eliminate this extra step?

Walt - Please take a look at AdminCP > Settings > Options > Message Attachment Options > Attachment Resize Options

Please go back and recheck. We don't have an AdminCP. We have a UserCP function. We also don't permit attachments except in the form of imported pictures via the little Insert Image box that is a small mountain with a yellow background. The sizing of the inserted image is set by the user.

Please go back and recheck. We don't have an AdminCP. We have a UserCP function. We also don't permit attachments except in the form of imported pictures via the little Insert Image box that is a small mountain with a yellow background. The sizing of the inserted image is set by the user.

Like most software of this type, the software that is used here has various levels of access. Most likely Walt has not been granted the AdminCP priviledge. See

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-legacy-versions-products/legacy-vbulletin-versions/vbulletin-3-7-questions-problems-and-troubleshooting/299956-admincp-vbulletin-options

for more information

Like most software of this type, the software that is used here has various levels of access. Most likely Walt has not been granted the AdminCP priviledge. See

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-legacy-versions-products/legacy-vbulletin-versions/vbulletin-3-7-questions-problems-and-troubleshooting/299956-admincp-vbulletin-options

for more information

I'm not sure how this helps address the user problem with the users establishing the size of photos inserted in postings.

I'm not sure how this helps address the user problem with the users establishing the size of photos inserted in postings.

There's a vBulletin override that wraps images with a maximum width. I'm pretty sure that it goes back to the 2007 version.

There's a vBulletin override that wraps images with a maximum width. I'm pretty sure that it goes back to the 2007 version.

Thanks for your advice

We do have the mix/max image size set for photos as attachments in our software. You will see if you add an image via the attachment function they are a smaller size.

When Walt mentioned sizing for photos, This is referring to tinypic, tapatalk, photobucket, or whatever other image hosting site people use to embed photos in a post. Our software version does not have the capability to auto-resize images hosted elsewhere. If your photo is large on tinypic it shows the same size in a post.

Thanks for your advice

We do have the mix/max image size set for photos as attachments in our software. You will see if you add an image via the attachment function they are a smaller size.

When Walt mentioned sizing for photos, This is referring to tinypic, tapatalk, photobucket, or whatever other image hosting site people use to embed photos in a post. Our software version does not have the capability to auto-resize images hosted elsewhere. If your photo is large on tinypic it shows the same size in a post.

I am pretty sure that you can wrap those images in a container by setting css div parameters. We had to do it for some of our clients so that their sites would pass Google's mobile friendly tests. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions. We're kind of in geek realm now. ;)

I am pretty sure that you can wrap those images in a container by setting css div parameters. We had to do it for some of our clients so that their sites would pass Google's mobile friendly tests. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions. We're kind of in geek realm now. ;)
Way geek realm. :D Now, for us non-techie types, is there a way to determine what size images Tapatalk is uploading into Cruise Critic? I'm sure the picture I uploaded in Post #8 is a really large file, and Tapatalk does not give me any option to resize the picture. Edited by Cruise_More_Often

Way geek realm. :D Now, for us non-techie types, is there a way to determine what size images Tapatalk is uploading into Cruise Critic? I'm sure the picture I uploaded in Post #8 is a really large file, and Tapatalk does not give me any option to resize the picture.

Tapatalk simply uploads whatever size image you pick. If you want the image to be smaller, you have to resize it before you upload it. A width of 800px is about as wide as you can go safely. I am pretty sure that CruiseCritic can edit the display template to prevent overly wide images. In the meantime, just resize your photos before you upload them.

Thank you so much! I just downloaded a resizing app for my phone and tested it on the image in post 8. This one should be much smaller:

fd2dd00da519e3a43d2f63b88a3375b9.jpg

Is there an obvious difference? This picture is 800 x 449.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

You will see if you add an image via the attachment function they are a smaller size.
Which is the reason that I (and I think a lot of other people) don't use the attachment function for pictures very much ... only if I want something really quick instead of taking the time to use tinypic etc.

Thank you so much! I just downloaded a resizing app for my phone and tested it on the image in post 8. This one should be much smaller:

Is there an obvious difference? This picture is 800 x 449.

It doesn't jump out at me as "much" smaller at first, but comparing I can see that the right edge is below the "m" of Sonoma in post 8, and below the "L" of location in this one. Much better IMO! :) Edited by jtl513

Here's the CSS code:

img.bbcode-attachment {     
   max-height: 600px;
   max-width: 800px;
}

Just change the values to match your desired parameters.

Edited by POA1

Thanks for your advice

JennK - See my previous post. You can style the image attachments and constrain their container.

Is there a way to resize photos in my iPad photo stream? I don't see anything like that in "Edit". I know I am a dodo!:eek:

If I need another app to resize, then I guess I have to move the photo into that and then back into my photo stream? Maybe I'll have to go into my iPad and post a photo and then look at it on my laptop, so I can see exactly what size it comes out as. But then I might get into trouble if it's too big. How do you tell what size a photo is?

A lot of my older photos on my iPad my daughter put there from albums on my laptop - when I click on them it tells me I cannot edit them. But I think when I take photos with my iPad, or download them directly from my camera I am able to edit. I am very confused. :confused:

Is there a way to resize photos in my iPad photo stream? I don't see anything like that in "Edit". I know I am a dodo!:eek:

If I need another app to resize, then I guess I have to move the photo into that and then back into my photo stream? Maybe I'll have to go into my iPad and post a photo and then look at it on my laptop, so I can see exactly what size it comes out as. But then I might get into trouble if it's too big. How do you tell what size a photo is?

A lot of my older photos on my iPad my daughter put there from albums on my laptop - when I click on them it tells me I cannot edit them. But I think when I take photos with my iPad, or download them directly from my camera I am able to edit. I am very confused. :confused:

Last night I downloaded an app to my android phone called Photo Resizer. There is most likely a similar app for Apple. I open the app, and it asks me to insert the photo for resizing. It offers about six different options for resizing. When I select one, it saves the newly resized photo to a new folder it created, making the photo easy to find when you want to use it. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

I use "iResize" for my pictures for my blog. I was having terrible issues getting pictures to upload when I was doing my first blog. A very nice reader (who I don't even know but will always be grateful to) recommended it. If you decide to use it, let me know and I will give you some pointers (it really is easy or I couldn't use it:D).

Edited by Scrapnana

• 3 months later...

jtl513, many thanks for the info about tinypic. I just gave it a try, and it's quite user friendly compared to photobucket that does, as you wrote, require a sign up and is challenging to figure out if you simply want to post photos on a msg board but aren't interested in purchasing your images.

David